Angus vs. Brangus

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I hope I don't stir up a lot of controversy with my question, but here goes.
I have a registered black angus bull and he is almost 4 years old, wieghs about 1600 pounds. He is very muscular, deep shoulders, thick necked, small head. My neighbor bought a "supposed" to be brangus. This bull is totally out of proportion. He has very small hind quarters, very deep chest area. Truthfully, to me he looks more like a black buffalo in his shape than anything I have seen. I have just looked at plb's website and the brangus he is showing is more like my black angus and size, shape and everything else. Is this bull I am talking about just a cull or something. I would not trade my angus for 3 like the one my neighbor has, if for nothing else, is his appearance. Help me to understand.

probably just a crappy looking brangus. there are some out there. people call anything blackish with some ear "brangus" nowadays. in general though, i think its one of the better breeds.

i agree w/Beefy. it's probably just not a very good brangus. here are two brangus bulls we're using on some of our polled hereford cows:

113.jpg

12a6dd59.jpg

Beefy":23d97thz said:
do you have any pictures of your calves, txag?

yes, i can pm some to you if you'd like. send me a pm & let me know.

Those are some nice looking bulls txag. What kind of birth weights do you get when crossing brangus/hereford? I guess what I'm saying is a the average brangus bull suitable for bredding to a European heifer or do you give them a few years?

J Baxter":3mxhpg53 said:
Those are some nice looking bulls txag. What kind of birth weights do you get when crossing brangus/hereford? I guess what I'm saying is a the average brangus bull suitable for bredding to a European heifer or do you give them a few years?

we don't weight our crossbred calves, but if i had to guess, i'd say they average around 75-80 lbs.

just as in any breed, the particular bull may be a more important factor when deciding whether or not to breed to heifers. we're using a low bw polled hereford bull on our heifers, but i would think a low bw brangus bull would work ok as well.

I know this has nothing to do with this breed discussion. But looking at the bull picture above, and several others on the site, I notice the ear tags are out in the middle of the ear. Don't you guys have them get ripped out all the time when placed that far out? Or do you just have nothing for them to rub on? Just wondering .........................

Those are mighty fine looking bulls! I do like the looks of Brangus bulls! For some reasons to me, Brangus bulls looks more correctly proportional than Angus bulls.... Plus I am a sucker for floppy ear cattle haha.

Latest posts