Angus vs. Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

kjerckie

Reaction score
There is a new radio advertisment I've been hearing lately. It says a store here is now carrying "premium Angus beef, which is better than just ordinary Angus beef." This adds to my bewilderment about the packaged labels 'Black Angus beef' in the stores and resturants. They don't say 'red' Angus? So I pondered the question which I'm tossing your way: Assuming we basically all feed grass and grains, who feels what beef breed is best on the plate.

kjerckie":3qrxjkvo said:
There is a new radio advertisment I've been hearing lately. It says a store here is now carrying "premium Angus beef, which is better than just ordinary Angus beef." This adds to my bewilderment about the packaged labels 'Black Angus beef' in the stores and resturants. They don't say 'red' Angus? So I pondered the question which I'm tossing your way: Assuming we basically all feed grass and grains, who feels what beef breed is best on the plate.

Taste is a personal thing. I prefer Certified Angus Beef (CAB) when I can get it. But my one of my favorite places to eat is Outback Steak House and many of them use Excel's Sterling Silver branded beef. Sterling Silver has the same spec requirements as CAB, except for the color. A lot of Red Angus go into that program. So I'm not sure it's actually the breed, but the quality specs that make for what I consider a good steak. Angus has a well deserved reputation for fertility, feed efficiency and quality meat, traits that give the producer a good chance to profit, so I'll continue to raise them.

Latest posts