Angus vs Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
The Black Angus vs Red Angus thing is rather interesting to me. To me an Angus is an Angus, doesn't matter whether it is red or black. The idea that Red is not equal to Black does not make sense to me. And the idea that there should be a different registry for them is rather nonsensical when you consider that BLACK animals that carry the red gene are still included in the black registry. You will never get away from red if you keep including heterozygous black animals. 50% of the time that heterozygous black animal is going to pass on the red gene, and when bred to another heterozygous black animal 50% of the offspring will be red. Essentially, if you are going to stop red animals from being registered, any animal that carries the red gene should be blocked!!

I know in Canada the registry is open to both colors. And it is not exceptionally unusual to find black animals that have a red parent or a red animal that has 2 black parents. I think the only difference is that red animals are registered with Red preceeding their registered name.

From the Canadian Angus Association:

"The Canadian Association registers both black and red Angus. The first herdbook specifically excluded males red in color, but red females were permitted. However in 1921 the bylaws were amended to exclude all red animals. Red animals kept occurring in herds and several breeders sought to have them included in the herd book established in 1954 by the Red Angus Association of America.

The Annual Meeting of the Association in 1967 approved a motion that red animals be eligible for registration. This was officially approved by the Minister of Agriculture of Canada on April 3, 1968."

From the American Angus Association:

"Genetic Factors
Red coat color is a genetic factor monitored by the American
Angus Association. It is monitored because it is caused by
a simple recessive gene and because red calves are not eligible
for registration under the rules of the American Angus
Association.

Red color has no effect on the reproduction, growth or
beef-producing ability of an animal."

Here is a bull that was sold for a lot of money at Agribition a few years ago. Both his parents are BLACK.

http://www.sixmileredangus.com/animals/cudlobe12L.htm

We are right now looking through a bull sale catalog, and one of the bulls we are interested in has a grand dam that was red. So there is a possibility he carries the red gene, which would be fine with us. Our red heifer calves sell easier than the blacks, and the steers sell as well as the blacks.

randiliana,
Geneticly the main difference b/t red and black angus is the hair color. If i was using angus blood in my cattle i would go with the red. Just seems that Black is getting watered down.
around these parts (southeast US) in a few weeks a producer can probably go 100-200 miles in any direction and find several angus sales going on.
only thing i disagree with is the following statement you made.
"You will never get away from red if you keep including heterozygous black animals. 50% of the time that heterozygous black animal is going to pass on the red gene, and when bred to another heterozygous black animal 50% of the offspring will be red."
If you breed two hetero black animals Bb X Bb you will get 25% homozygous black, 50% hetero black and 25% red.

Diehard40":3c8aq7o6 said:
only thing i disagree with is the following statement you made.
"You will never get away from red if you keep including heterozygous black animals. 50% of the time that heterozygous black animal is going to pass on the red gene, and when bred to another heterozygous black animal 50% of the offspring will be red."
If you breed two hetero black animals Bb X Bb you will get 25% homozygous black, 50% hetero black and 25% red.

You are right, 25% of that cross will be Homo black, 75% will carry the red gene. Some will be red and some black, but yes 75% will carry the red gene. If you cross BB to Bb you will get 50% homo black and 50% hetero black. They will all be Black, but 50% will carry the red gene.

Each color or breed has the same core. IMHO I think each color happens to do few things better than the other. Does it work out to an overall advantage, not a chance the same but different.

That's the nice part of the U.S. Angus gives the Red Angus breeders the genetic potential of red and black and beable to register cattle while limiting the blacks to only blacks.

Latest posts