Angus Terminal/Maternal

Help Support CattleToday:

There is absolutely no way that a longevity index can be created!
It could be on cows that are not sold out of the breed at a given age. It would just cover the ones that could be kept up with but it would be worth it.

How does RA have stability if it is impossible?

AAA already collects data on "reason culled". Wonder why they have never made use of that? Been doing that for years.

We have seen several of the breed associations, in trying to elect people to the boards that they though would be able to help the breeds, all that happened is many of those that were elected took the route and advantage of their position to be a self serving situation.

Watch out, you'll be labeled a basher for having your eyes open and your ear to the ground! :nod:

cbcr said:
Nesikep said:
For me, my biggest dilemma is I don't know how long a cow will live, and that's something I try hard to select for... My old granny was productive for 16 calves, and her calves were slightly above herd average so I did keep a bunch... I don't know how life expectancy figures into $M but that's something that takes a long time to find out.

Then I have a 9 year old cow that's never yet given me a heifer.... GRRRRR

The biggest problem for any association in trying to attempt to create a longevity index, is how do you account for herds where cows that when they reach 5yr olds are sold. If these are registered cows, many of them end up in commercial herds. Typically they are sold in groups of 5 cows and after you buy them, if you want the registration papers you have to pay extra.

There is absolutely no way that a longevity index can be created!

It could be done. For those choosing to have fast generation treat them like they do old bloodlines currently. Give them a low number the same they do old bloodlines.

Simmental has a STAY EPD. If you are enrolled in Total Herd, you give a reason for each cow that leaves your herd. One of the "reasons" is Sold as a breeder WITHOUT papers. Everything goes into these calculations, including location, environment, past farm history, etc.
We only have TWO money indexes. Terminal and All Purpose (maternal). KISS

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Simmental has a STAY EPD. If you are enrolled in Total Herd, you give a reason for each cow that leaves your herd. One of the "reasons" is Sold as a breeder WITHOUT papers. Everything goes into these calculations, including location, environment, past farm history, etc.

What part of the ASA is simple? Purebred, fullblood, SimAngus, Simbrah, breeding up, Fleckvieh. Weren't Fleckvieh cows and Simmental considered the same breed when ASA started? And now their splitting apart? I don't understand how the ASA works, because I'll never grasp how you can breed up to purebred starting with crossbred cattle. KISS for sure just keep sending money for membership and registrations and everything will work out.

AAA allows input of similar data and has for years. But apparently chooses to not use it.

Question for both the conspiracy theory types and the more refined, alike. :) You collect data. You send in data. Is it your data or their data? If you ever want to pull your data or ask that your data be removed will you be allowed to? To me it can answer the question of either members served by an association or members serving an association.

Bright Raven said:
cbcr said:
There was a time when the Hereford breed was King. There were maybe more Hereford than Angus cattle in many areas of the country.

What happened? Hereford even had its own Certified Hereford Beef program "CHB"

We have seen several of the breed associations, in trying to elect people to the boards that they though would be able to help the breeds, all that happened is many of those that were elected took the route and advantage of their position to be a self serving situation.

Programs to process EPD's are not cheap. Anywhere from $20,000 to over $65,000 per year. The only way to have accurate information for EPD's is by having Whole Herd Reporting.

And how many EPD's are needed? We have had conversations with many breeders of different breeds, that many feel that averages for many traits would be of more benefit.

What are you including in those processing costs? I would expect it to be much higher considering contractor services, data input, staff, etc. Thanks.

Bright Raven, what I quoted was just for the program, that did not include people to oversee or input the data or any other costs.

cbcr said:
Bright Raven said:
cbcr said:
There was a time when the Hereford breed was King. There were maybe more Hereford than Angus cattle in many areas of the country.

What happened? Hereford even had its own Certified Hereford Beef program "CHB"

Programs to process EPD's are not cheap. Anywhere from $20,000 to over $65,000 per year. The only way to have accurate information for EPD's is by having Whole Herd Reporting.

And how many EPD's are needed? We have had conversations with many breeders of different breeds, that many feel that averages for many traits would be of more benefit.

What are you including in those processing costs? I would expect it to be much higher considering contractor services, data input, staff, etc. Thanks.

Bright Raven, what I quoted was just for the program, that did not include people to oversee or input the data or any other costs.

Thank you.

True Grit Farms said:

What part of the ASA is simple? Purebred, fullblood, SimAngus, Simbrah, breeding up, Fleckvieh. Weren't Fleckvieh cows and Simmental considered the same breed when ASA started? And now their splitting apart? I don't understand how the ASA works, because I'll never grasp how you can breed up to purebred starting with crossbred cattle. KISS for sure just keep sending money for membership and registrations and everything will work out.

In Germany, Austria, Czech, and handful of countries they are referred to as Fleckvieh. Likewise, Switzerland and some other countries they are referred to as Simmental.

When we started our registries 6 years ago, the diary animals in the US were referred to as Simmental, but yet when we looked up pedigree information in European databases they were referred to as Fleckvieh. There was no breed code being used for Fleckvieh. When we checked with DHIA in Canada we found our that the breed code they were using was FL so we worked with the NAAB and we were after a few months of communication they approved the FL breed code for here in the US.

In other countries we have seen different code used for the Fleckvieh, FV, FK and maybe one or two others. This is one breed that there is no standardized breed code for, but many have expressed that their should be.

As for breeding up to a purebred animal, International standards recognize and animal as being purebred at 87.5%, however there are some breeds associations that require much a much higher percentage (such as Charolais).

But, the ASA and other registries, once an animal reached the 87.5% are then counted as 100%. So if you breed say an Angus to an ASA bull that is 87.5% Simmental and 12.5% Angus, they will figure that the resulting animal is 50% Simmental and 50% Angus. If you keep doing this generation after generation, you can end up with an animal that is much less than the 87.5% purebred rule.

What has been surprising with some of these Continental breeds is we have discovered animals that were actually out of Holstein cows. But most of the time this Holstein cow was referred to as a crossbred beef animal.

Our members have been adamant about using actual breed percentages. Another thing is we use the registration numbers that were assigned to the animals from their Home country, so we can trace pedigrees back for many Fleckvieh and Montbeliarde animals for 10 plus generations. With the ASA they have given these same animals ASA numbers, making it almost impossible to trace their foreign ancestry.

The ASA was founded for registering Simmental cattle, the Fleckvieh and Montbeliarde are also supposed to be members of the Simmental breed. We had a Fleckvieh breeder that we were visiting with last week that found out that there are only about 1,200 Purebred/Fullblood Fleckvieh animals registered annually. So the majority of their registrations are black animals. This is an issue that is not just about the ASA, but ALL of the Continental breeds, Gelbvieh, Maine Anjou, Limousin and the Chianina. All of these breeds have turned black. Are there any breeders left of these breeds upon which the associations were founded? From what we have heard there are no fullblood or Purebred Chianina animals in the US and they allow as low as I think 6% Chianina blood in an animal to be eligible for registration.

cbcr said:
True Grit Farms said:

In Germany, Austria, Czech, and handful of countries they are referred to as Fleckvieh. Likewise, Switzerland and some other countries they are referred to as Simmental.

When we started our registries 6 years ago, the diary animals in the US were referred to as Simmental, but yet when we looked up pedigree information in European databases they were referred to as Fleckvieh. There was no breed code being used for Fleckvieh. When we checked with DHIA in Canada we found our that the breed code they were using was FL so we worked with the NAAB and we were after a few months of communication they approved the FL breed code for here in the US.

In other countries we have seen different code used for the Fleckvieh, FV, FK and maybe one or two others. This is one breed that there is no standardized breed code for, but many have expressed that their should be.

As for breeding up to a purebred animal, International standards recognize and animal as being purebred at 87.5%, however there are some breeds associations that require much a much higher percentage (such as Charolais).

But, the ASA and other registries, once an animal reached the 87.5% are then counted as 100%. So if you breed say an Angus to an ASA bull that is 87.5% Simmental and 12.5% Angus, they will figure that the resulting animal is 50% Simmental and 50% Angus. If you keep doing this generation after generation, you can end up with an animal that is much less than the 87.5% purebred rule.

What has been surprising with some of these Continental breeds is we have discovered animals that were actually out of Holstein cows. But most of the time this Holstein cow was referred to as a crossbred beef animal.

Our members have been adamant about using actual breed percentages. Another thing is we use the registration numbers that were assigned to the animals from their Home country, so we can trace pedigrees back for many Fleckvieh and Montbeliarde animals for 10 plus generations. With the ASA they have given these same animals ASA numbers, making it almost impossible to trace their foreign ancestry.

The ASA was founded for registering Simmental cattle, the Fleckvieh and Montbeliarde are also supposed to be members of the Simmental breed. We had a Fleckvieh breeder that we were visiting with last week that found out that there are only about 1,200 Purebred/Fullblood Fleckvieh animals registered annually. So the majority of their registrations are black animals. This is an issue that is not just about the ASA, but ALL of the Continental breeds, Gelbvieh, Maine Anjou, Limousin and the Chianina. All of these breeds have turned black. Are there any breeders left of these breeds upon which the associations were founded? From what we have heard there are no fullblood or Purebred Chianina animals in the US and they allow as low as I think 6% Chianina blood in an animal to be eligible for registration.

The ASA does a good job keeping everything sorted out. IMO There's just so many ways to register an animal it's almost a joke. No one is left behind besides those who want to be.

Registration Types
How an animal is registered depends on its breed composition. Breed composite is determined by the parents of the animal.

Purebred (Simmental)
Any animal whose parents are registered as purebred and any animal with 1 parent registered as purebred and the other parent registered as 3/4 Simmental.
SimAngus
Any animal whose parents are both registered and is at least 1/8 Simmental and 1/4 Angus and no more than 1/4 other breed
SimAngus HT
Any animal whose parents are both registered and is at least 1/8 Simmental and 1/4 Angus, no more than 1/4 other breed and have at least 1/8 Brahman.
Simgenetics
Any animal whose sire is a registered and is at least 1/8 Simmental and is not a Purebred, SimAngus or Fullblood
Simbrah (Simmental-Brahman composite)
Any animal whose sire is registered and is at least 1/8 Simmental and 1/8 Brahman and no more than 3/8 other breed. A Simbrah animals also qualify as Simgenetics or SimAngus. Breeders must specify if the animal is to be registered as Simbrah. Note: To qualify for the Simbrah Registry an animal must have a combination of Simmental and Brahman blood of five-eighths (5/8) or greater.
Purebred Simbrah (Simmental-Brahman composite)
Any animals whose parents are registered and is 5/8 Simmental and 3/8 Brahman.
Full Blood
Any purebred Simmental animal whose parents are both designated as Fullblood
Foundation
Any animal that is registered with another recognized breed association and has been requested to be entered into ASA's registry (see foundation registration for further information) or an animal qualifed by its registered parents.

parents 0 Fnd 1/8 1/4 3/8 1/2 5/8 3/4 PB
Table for Calculating Percent Simmental
0 0 0 0 1/8 1/4 1/4 3/8 3/8 1/2
Fnd 0 Fnd Fnd 1/8 1/4 1/4 3/8 3/8 1/2
1/8 0 Fnd 1/8 1/4 1/4 3/8 3/8 1/2 1/2
1/4 1/8 1/8 1/4 1/4 3/8 3/8 1/2 1/2 5/8
3/8 1/4 3/8 1/4 3/8 3/8 1/2 1/2 5/8 5/8
1/2 1/4 1/4 3/8 3/8 1/2 1/2 5/8 5/8 3/4
5/8 3/8 3/8 38 1/2 1/2 5/8 5/8 5/8 3/4
3/4 3/8 3/8 1/2 1/2 5/8 5/8 5/8 3/4 PB
PB 1/2 1/2 1/2 5/8 5/8 3/4 3/4 PB PB
The Simmental percentage is determined from registered percent of the parents. Rounding may cause other breeds percentage to vary from the chart.

I have to admit, I have no clue about all the other "breed" names. I upgraded from commercial cattle and have been a PB breeder since. I occasionally use a 3/4% bull.
"found out that there are only about 1,200 Purebred/Fullblood Fleckvieh animals registered annually. So the majority of their registrations are black animals."
No, the number of animals that are not Fullblood has nothing to do with their color. Purebreds are black or red.
A purebred NEVER is considered 100% or Fullblood.
ASA was founded using all the above named breeds (Fleckvieh, Montbeliarde, Pie Rouge, Abondance & Pezzata Rosa ). There was never any differentiation when you registered your 1/2 or 3/4 or 7/8 or PB. Years ago a bull had to be 15/16 to be classified as PB - female was 7/8. They had to have 5 generations of FULLBLOODs to be classified as a Fullblood, because even tho the semen/or animal may have been imported, they may have come from CROSSBRED cattle from France, Switzerland or Germany, etc.
They have lowered the standards and have added all these "fancy" titles, SimAngus, SimSolution - blah blah blah. Bunch of horseshYt to me. I believe (besides just the plain old money angle) a lot of it is because of "wants" of the juniors to register all these crossbreds for showing.

I can say the Canadian Gelbvieh association lists exact percentages of every breed.. the heifer I purchased is about 85% GV and 11% "Other".. it could well be that 11% Other is from unregistered GV stock too

True Grit Farms said:

Seems simple enough. There are fullbloods and then there are non fullbloods (purebreds). If you want fullblood stock it's not hard to come by.

Nesikep said:
I can say the Canadian Gelbvieh association lists exact percentages of every breed.. the heifer I purchased is about 85% GV and 11% "Other".. it could well be that 11% Other is from unregistered GV stock too
The North American Limousin association does the same except that it tells you what the other % is.

frieghttrain said:
Nesikep said:
The North American Limousin association does the same except that it tells you what the other % is.
The GV does too for those that are known (which probably means traceable to a registered animal)

Latest posts