Angus Temperament

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We plan on having a maximum of 10 cows for raising beef. Since there are grandchildren around I would like to have animals with a good temperament. I have read that the Herefords and the Murray Greys are docile, but how would the Red or Black Angus compare? Would they be suitably tempered? Thanks for your help.

[email protected]

Most cattle temperment is relate on how they are handle and how often. Our angus have great temperments. Any cows that are not docile "grow wheels" to quote dun. Angus may be more protective of their young than other breeds.

pat

I have no experience with MGs. Angus Red or those funny colored ones have very calm easy going temperment. But if you look in the dictionary under docile cow there will be a picture of a Hereford. The main problem with Herefords are that they can tend to get awfully chummy and get under foot a lot.

dun

> We plan on having a maximum of 10
> cows for raising beef. Since there
> are grandchildren around I would
> like to have animals with a good
> temperament. I have read that the
> Herefords and the Murray Greys are
> docile, but how would the Red or
> Black Angus compare? Would they be
> suitably tempered? Thanks for your
> help.

If you use Hereford cows and use a good quality Angus bull you will get calves that will be excellent replacments and also bring top or nearly top money at any sale.

dun

> I have no experience with MGs.
> Angus Red or those funny colored
> ones have very calm easy going
> temperment. But if you look in the
> dictionary under docile cow there
> will be a picture of a Hereford.
> The main problem with Herefords
> are that they can tend to get
> awfully chummy and get under foot
> a lot.

> dun

> Most cattle temperment is relate
> on how they are handle and how
> often. Our angus have great
> temperments. Any cows that are not
> docile "grow wheels" to
> quote dun. Angus may be more
> protective of their young than
> other breeds. i have murray grey and they are very docile. my 2 and 3 year old run around the field with them all the time, they even let the kids pet them, but they chase the dogs and chickens. MR
> pat

Drawing on my past experience clipping sales, I would say that as a breed, Black Angus are one of the toughest to work with...Charlais and Saler are two other breeds that can cause fits.

Very docile breeds include:

Polled Herefords and Simmentals

We have a herd of about 200 cows and the better part of them are angus X. As always there are a few screw-balls. Depending what your main intrests are my grandpa has always said that Herefords are just calf companions. If I was you I'd go with the angus cows cull the animals with tempers and mess with them we have some cows you can lean on they are so tame.

[email protected]

> If you use Hereford cows and use a
> good quality Angus bull you will
> get calves that will be excellent
> replacments and also bring top or
> nearly top money at any sale.

> dun

In the past few years we have tried a breed "Tarentaise" the stomach of a goat , milk of a jersey, easy to calve ,easy to handle.

crossed to limo, a red calf (black nose and eye) pretty as a deer.

crossed to charlois a gold calf both crosses produce a calf better than the straight breed

will finish in 18 to 20 months at 1650 lbs

have you ever seen this breed? we have held some heifers of both crosses they are being bred now limo for next nov calving

[email protected]

Latest posts