Angus steer losing weight, not eating and has diarrhea

Help Support CattleToday:

Honar

Reaction score
Our show calf went off feed July 20. He was given antibiotics and a fever reducer. We brought him home were he seemed to start eating better. Two weeks later, still not gaining weight and low grade fever. Was looking sunken in took to the vet. Lungs clear although was couching. Vet have antibiotics and fever reducer. No diarrhea at first vet visit. Diarrhea started continued not eating much. Fever ranges between 102 to 104. Back to the vet with a stool sample. More antibiotics, fever reducer and dewormer (eggs seen in stool sample). A week later no change, still not eating well, diarrhea like water. He is being feed mostly hay, two or less pounds of feed. We have started giving good bacteria the past two days. What else can we do? I have seen online about using Imodium for the diarrhea, but have never tried it, has anyone tried this?

I really wouldn't know what's going on, but know that the people who do could use a bit more information.

How old is the steer? Is he still on milk? What are these antibiotics that he was given? Perhaps your general location could help too.

Welcome to CattleToday, hopefully someone here will have more insight than me

Chronic diarrhoea is probably one of the most frustrating things to treat. I think you should maintain contact with your vet for further tests and treatment.
Depending on the age of the calf things to consider are Coccidiosis although this is a self limiting disease and they will eventually get over it. Pestivirus and the steer being a PI and moving into the Mucosal Disease stage, get an ear notch test done. Johne's disease though I suspect the steer is too young for the wasting/diarrhoea stage of the disease.
By the tone of your post you seem a bit anxious about it. I suspect it is time to start looking a bit further than the simple things like worms.
Welcome to Cattletoday.
Ken

The steer is 7 months old. His first visit to the vet was 8/16. He was given Nuflor and Banamine. He started to eat a little better. About five days after the vet visit he started to have diarrhea and go down again. I took him back to the vet on 8/29 with a stool sample. He was given Trichostrangles, Ivomee, Baytril, Banamine and MVT Boluses. Trichostrangles were found in the stool. With all the atibotics, I started giving him Drench Formula Power Punchy Vets Plus. He has always been aware and able to get up and move around without any stiffness, although you can tell he does not feel well. The past two days he has been demonstrating what I will call more calf like behaviors, licking his hind quarters moving about more. I have been restricing his diet to hay and his grain mix in an effort to regulate his system. He does not get any more than 2 lbs of grain a day and access to all the hay he wants. He has also been given electrolites everyday since he started with diarrhea. Vet said he is not dehydrated. The Indianaweather tempatures have not been as hot in past summers. Although when it has been very hot, the tempature seems to drop faster than normal and back up again.

This morning my daughter said he was eating hay. I went out to see if he ate his ration of grain and noticed it was a little powdery. I decided to get a fresh ration. He was sitting down when I grabbed the feed pan, but was standing waiting for the new one. He stated eating right away. We will see how much. His stool was not like water, but a close second.

Hope I covered it all. Until my daughter decided to show cattle in 4-H, it has been 25 years since I showed.

I do not believe it is Johne's disease, as the calf is not eating. Long ago we had a cow who went to Purdue with the disease and she would no stop eating.

I would also be giving him probios for a few days to repopulate his gut flora. Antibiotics are not selective on what they kill off, and probios can make a big difference in getting them back on their feet.

msscamp":2xhi8ty5 said:
I would also be giving him probios for a few days to repopulate his gut flora. Antibiotics are not selective on what they kill off, and probios can make a big difference in getting them back on their feet.
X 2. I have had very good luck with Probios increasing their appetite also. But I would keep him on it indefinitely through showing. Helps with the stress induced gut problems too.

msscamp":22dv80bw said:

Welcome back. :wave:

msscamp":cv88upd3 said:

Really nice to see you back on these boards.

backhoeboogie":2olw90bm said:
msscamp":2olw90bm said:

Really nice to see you back on these boards.

:nod: :nod: :nod:

Latest posts