Angus Sires

Help Support CattleToday:

Avalon

Reaction score
I have been looking at sires for this breeding season. When choosing Angus Sires I'm looking for that all around bull. A bull that will give me The numbers, the pedigree and a look that the Juniors will like for the show ring. This year at least for some of my cows I have selected TC total 410. I am curious if others have seen any Total calves. If so what did you think of them. Were they attractive? Were they big enough? Did they have a lot of meat and muscle?

Around here the hot bull the last year or so for showing has been In Focus. They must be sellign the semen by the gallon as many of his calves that are floating around

Do you mean MYTTY IN FOCUS ?
They seem so small when they are born, I cant see how they will ever grow. Then to be honest I havent seen any older ones..

Avalon":t94ky17p said:
They seem so small when they are born, I cant see how they will ever grow. Then to be honest I havent seen any older ones..
I looked it up on ABS site. That's the one. The calves I've seen have all been in the 6s for weaning weight.
There were 5 of them at the local 4H/FFA feeder calf sale for the kids to buy for next years fair. Worked a couple of dozen of them last tiesday and they seemed to have plenty of growth and nice wide butts. At the sale they had plenty of hair for the show ring too. Never have figured out the fixation with hair when you don;t eat it.

dun":2kumsvt6 said:
Avalon":2kumsvt6 said:
I looked it up on ABS site. That's the one. The calves I've seen have all been in the 6s for weaning weight.
There were 5 of them at the local 4H/FFA feeder calf sale for the kids to buy for next years fair. Worked a couple of dozen of them last tiesday and they seemed to have plenty of growth and nice wide butts. At the sale they had plenty of hair for the show ring too. Never have figured out the fixation with hair when you don;t eat it.

I've seen a bunch of MIF yearling bulls sold over the past year or so. Numbers were off the charts but the bulls looked like stags.

cfpinz

dun":3rm89lbe said:
Avalon":3rm89lbe said:
dun-

The "Never have figured out the fixation with hair when you don;t eat it." phrase, as you said, is one that I agree with entirely, and I am sure that you know "why" all of the kids, and a lot of adults who should also know "why" the HAIR thing is so in demand for shows. It makes it easier for the fitters and "hair-dressers" to cover up physical faults, physiological problems, and undesirable phenotypic characteristics - in other words - - - - it makes it easier to LIE about the animal that they are showing! They can make the lower rounds look fuller (which most "funnel butt" Angus need to really "look" like a beef animal :???: :shock: ), fluff in the lower heart girth area to make it look like a more desirable spring of rib, SQUARE OFF the tail head :dunce: :lol2: , which really looks and is stupid because it exaggerates an already negative characteristic, and overemphasizes a sagging top line! Really DUMB! :dunce: :dunce:

It is an admitted fact that "SHOW WINNER" type cattle are NOT profitable nor desirable for the average beef producer. Some of the enhanced traits exhibited by show cattle are a harbinger of positive characteristics which MAY (I say MAY) be desirable to incorporate into a breeding protocol in the future - but long hair for the purposes of obfuscation, deception, fraud, and lying are certainly not something that I would be proud of in exhibiting in front of potential buyers, or the informed or UNinformed public!

Wash, brush, trim excessive head and facial hair for the purpose of SEEING what is under it, but in my opinion the majority of cosmotology that is performed on our seedstock animals is bull pucky! It is more beneficial to teach our kids the necessary qualities of cleanliness, neatness, honesty, truth, responsibility and all the rest that makes for the kind of people that Beef Cattle people SHOULD be, than to teach them how to lie and cheat!

If you haven't figured it out yet - I am really HOT about the selfishness and arrogance that "SHOWS" have and are instilling in our young people!

DOC HARRIS

HELP ! HELP ! MY THREAD HAS BEEN HIJACKED.
GET THIS BACK ON TOPIC. I AGREE WITH YOU DOC HARRIS. Thats why the state Junior Angus show in Texas and many others in Texas have gone to "NO FIT". Most Texas steer shows have gone "SLICK SHEER". If you want reality to converge with the show ring you must change Academia. They must not have a double standard. I noticed that they have one set of standards when evaluating a Judging contest or talking about performance cattle. Then another when they are judging a show. We simply try to bring them what they want and then enhance it as much as allowed. (Within the rules)

Then on what you call lieing and deciet. Just ask your wife what shes doing when she goes to the beauty shop. She will probably tell you that she is just enhancing the beauty God gave her. If I have a bull or female in a sale, I will not fit it because I want them to know exactly whats underneath. For most kids, parents CEA's VAT's and breeders its about having an enjoyable yet competitive AG activity. I'd rather have them doing this knowing that its a combination of selecting,feeding, grooming for what the judge wants, and yes mine know its mostly a beauty constest, Rather than playing the latest video games, gang banging or getting drunk with suzie from next door out behind the barn.

NOW BACK TO THE ORIGINAL POST
TC TOATL 910 THE NUMBERS ARE THERE, THE PEDIGREE IS THERE. HE HAS THE STRUCTURE AND STYLE I LIKE.
THE ? IS..........
HAS ANYONE SEEN HIS CALVES? DO THEY HAVE GOOD MUSCLE STYLE AND THICKNESS.
MY APOLOGIES TO THOSE WHO ARE TRYING TO STAY ON TASK.

I haven't seen any of his calves yet but have seen some cattle selling bred to him.... I am very interested in him as well. I have heard rumors that his offspring aren't as thick made as you might expect from a 208 son. But the jury is still out in my opinion.

Avalon":1npgn0b2 said:
I have been looking at sires for this breeding season. When choosing Angus Sires I'm looking for that all around bull. A bull that will give me The numbers, the pedigree and a look that the Juniors will like for the show ring. This year at least for some of my cows I have selected TC total 410. I am curious if others have seen any Total calves. If so what did you think of them. Were they attractive? Were they big enough? Did they have a lot of meat and muscle?

Around here Saugahatchee 3000c was very popular for the show ring. Notice I did say Show Ring.

I would think MF Destroyer would be a good choice. The best all around bull I have ever heard of and seen calves of is BR New Frontier 095!

Sizmic

Oldtimer":1kad5gvf said:
Now in my world, where functional means a lot more than hair styling :roll: , this is the bull I'm looking at AIing some heifers to:

http://abs-bs.absglobal.com/beef/angus. ... o=29AN1695

I think Rito Legacy (used to be Memento) would be a good cow maker- add muscle, capacity, and moderating or maintaining a moderate frame cow.....
Oldtimer-

NOW we are talking! A combination of Rito breeding and DHD Traveler 6807 matings gets us BACK into the real Angus Cattle Business!

This is the kind of genetics that Ohlde is propagating! Love It!

DOC HARRIS

The only thing that made this thread half way intresting to others reading it is comments like doc and dun made.
Glad to see "NO FIT".

The hair thing is one of those points that will be debated endlessly on these boards until we are all blue in the face. Here's my opinion, FWIF, as I have stated it on a number of occasions:

I am of the opinion that if the judge is not able to see through the hair, if s/he isn't aware of the fitting methods used to emphasise good points and minimise faults, then s/he doesn't have enough understanding of the industry and should not be judging. While we don't have this issue in Australia, I like my cattle to have some hair to work with. A good judge will place animals the same way with or without hair. It is not that hard to determine (for example) the amount of muscle a steer is carrying by visual assessment and when you get your hands on the steer it is even easier, hairy animal or not.

Avalon, sorry if I am hijacking your thread again, but I couldn't let Doc's rant go unchallenged. I share many of Doc's concerns about shows but where I come from we have -30 or -40 degree (That's Celsius not Fahrenheit) winters with extreme wind chills and hair is not just something the show jocks are interested in. A thick wooly coat of hair is a definite advantage for commercial cattle production. Most ranchers have little or no straw for bedding and the cows are left to find cover and a comfortable place to lie down in extremely harsh conditions, cold, snow and wind. Under these conditions a good hair coat is desirable and our customers legitimately look for it.

Around here lots of Angus guys AI to Travler 004 for cows and Matrix for Hefiers.

On the advise of af riend who happens to also be my AI Tech and Genex Semen distributor, I have purchaed semen from a bull named Marathon. who happens to be a sire who is getting a lot of attention and should be a major contendor in the next year or so. His semen is available this year on a limited basis.

DOC HARRIS":14zp8f2q said:
Oldtimer":14zp8f2q said:
Now in my world, where functional means a lot more than hair styling :roll: , this is the bull I'm looking at AIing some heifers to:

http://abs-bs.absglobal.com/beef/angus. ... o=29AN1695

I think Rito Legacy (used to be Memento) would be a good cow maker- add muscle, capacity, and moderating or maintaining a moderate frame cow.....
Oldtimer-

NOW we are talking! A combination of Rito breeding and DHD Traveler 6807 matings gets us BACK into the real Angus Cattle Business!

This is the kind of genetics that Ohlde is propagating! Love It!

DOC HARRIS

DOC-- Glad you like the bloodlines....I just bought two young bulls to see what they develop into...
One is Whitney Creek Legacy 726T # 15800327 --a son of this Rito Legacy bull out of a Viking influenced cow- MGS is Indreland Ext 0501...I will probably use him as a cleanup bull on the heifers and registered cattle... He is a smaller frame bull and should be a momma maker...

The other is Whitney Creek Bannon 730T # 15800329-- a Bannon of Wye UMF 8420 son out of a cow that is the daughter of Basin Max 602C...I'm hoping he has the right mix of performance and function to make some good calves too...

Here is a picture of the old Bannon bull-- he is 8 years old and owned by a couple of Montana ranchs (Whitney Creek and Horse Butte)....He is a 5 frame bull...

[/img]
BannonofWyeUMF8420IMG_0228-1.jpg

I have not seen any of his calves. IMO Total just like his dad has too high of a milk epd. But 208 was the best son of 036. Good carcass data. I would be wary of keeping heifers for replacements. He has a low $E value.

Nowland Farms":1p545ke3 said:
Around here lots of Angus guys AI to Travler 004 for cows and Matrix for Hefiers.

On the advise of af riend who happens to also be my AI Tech and Genex Semen distributor, I have purchaed semen from a bull named Marathon. who happens to be a sire who is getting a lot of attention and should be a major contendor in the next year or so. His semen is available this year on a limited basis.

The Marathon at Genex??? http://genex.crinet.com/beef/index.php? ... 22&lang=EN
I was not aware that they were having supply problems. What happened??

Latest posts