Angus Sires Changing of the Guard

Help Support CattleToday:

Cow Pollinator,
I always look forward to your input. Are there any young Angus bulls that you really like now? They don't have to
be on the Top 25 list. Thanks. Anyone else have any young bulls they like? Listed or not..doesn't matter.

They both have eye appeal and both are out of very popular bulls. That looks like one of the best Black Granite sons I have seen. Thanks for sharing.

Hoover dam has been on list for a few years. He just gets it done. Love his daughters and use him heavily in our commercial herd and in purebred. We are using his son Niagara but just got our first calves by him this fall so not sure how they will turn out.

Just wondering if there was a lot of difference between him and his father C, C &7?

bse":1azrvcvf said:
There's 1 bull in the top 25 at $20 (Consensus 7229) 7 at $25, 7 at $30, 7 above $30, 3 unavailable

Now a question for those that want to know total semen sales,
if....this (random) bull (with 50% accuracy) x8594249 was the very top seller would it sway you to use him?
Yes whether people consciously acknowledge it or not the correct answer is yes.
Because it's a proven psychological fact buying decisions are influenced by the approval of others.
In addition the positive publicity would put him on the radar of many that might have otherwise overlooked him.

p.s.
By coincidence the randomly chosen bull's sire and mgs are both on the top 25 list and perhaps is the reason why
the A.I. stud chose to invest in him.

Air gator":2g1tkeij said:
Cow Pollinator,
I always look forward to your input. Are there any young Angus bulls that you really like now? They don't have to
be on the Top 25 list. Thanks. Anyone else have any young bulls they like? Listed or not..doesn't matter.
I'm not much help. I'm not involved with much AI work anymore and what I do is either other breeds or out of my inventory. I haven't opened a catalog in well over a year.

Well one thing I know for sure is that SAV still sells. Just look at how Cornerstone did at their last sale.

I own progeny of 8 of the top 10. I am impartial to Black Granite and Rampage though. They have served me well.

SAF, Do you have a Black Granite son? Post his pic if you would. Tell me about his calves and replacement heifers. I bought a son last fall, first calves on the ground. My old bull is a CC&7 son and I like him a lot, was hoping this BG son would take his place, but I'm not sure he can. Length and depth is not there I don't think, but it's early to tell on the calves. The bull himself is changing a little bit physically as he gets older, but still not the depth I want. Just trying to find any info I can out there in the real world. Idk if it's just the age difference or not, but he's a little quicker handling than my old bull as well.

sub, that top bull has some crazy numbers.

Warrior, where are the cattle, on fescue?

I have a CC&7 daughter that I bred yesterday to Conversation from Select Sires. used sexed semen in an effort to get a heifer out of her...
But she is a big cow. maybe too big...but she raises nice calves in our low input environment...
Great temperament.
Conversation becasue he was my choice of the few bulls select had sexed semen on.

talltimber":1dtdc0y7 said:
SAF, Do you have a Black Granite son? Post his pic if you would. Tell me about his calves and replacement heifers. I bought a son last fall, first calves on the ground. My old bull is a CC&7 son and I like him a lot, was hoping this BG son would take his place, but I'm not sure he can. Length and depth is not there I don't think, but it's early to tell on the calves. The bull himself is changing a little bit physically as he gets older, but still not the depth I want. Just trying to find any info I can out there in the real world. Idk if it's just the age difference or not, but he's a little quicker handling than my old bull as well.

sub, that top bull has some crazy numbers.

Warrior, where are the cattle, on fescue?

Yeah, I'l take one for you. We're putting in embryos tomorrow for 40 recips.

I can tell you I love this bull. He is out of a Boyd Forever Lady and he is jet black, solid feet, great disposition, great build and the numbers are great too. He is likely my next herd sire (we use a cleanup bull on our regular registered non-recipe) and I am choosing him over four full SAV Thunderbird sons (full SAV out of an emblynette), two Ten X sons and an Insight son. All out of great females (SAV, Champion Hill, Boyd or VAR).

I may have just struck gold with him but he is really solid.

I haven't bred him yet but I also have a a couple of black granite females that I love. One is out of a SAV Rosetta and she is awesome. She's not ready to breed yet but she lining up just like I like them. I'll try to get a picture of her for you. She is lot 23b from the latest Boyd Sale and she looks every bit as good as her picture.

Kentucky. Pastures on our farms have ky 31 fescue that we are inter seeding red/white clover and orchard grass with. Few pastures we have converted over to novel endophyte fescue. Haven't had any problems with HD on our pastures.

This is a Black Granite female out of SAV Rosetta. She has a great disposition and will be bred shortly. I think she's pretty good looking too but jmo.

Latest posts