angus sire to add muscle?

Help Support CattleToday:

George Monk

Reaction score
We have a large framed Vermillion Dateline cow that we would like to flush. One of the goals I want to achieve is to add muscle to this gal. What would be a good choice. Gridmaker comes to mind but I am worried about the frame size. I really don't want bigger framed calves from this cow.
DSCN3063.JPG

George Monk":2tjs1m2j said:
We have a large framed Vermillion Dateline cow that we would like to flush. One of the goals I want to achieve is to add muscle to this gal. What would be a good choice. Gridmaker comes to mind but I am worried about the frame size. I really don't want bigger framed calves from this cow.
DSCN3063.JPG
i like the muscle on the gar bulls

cowboyup216":2bx4lst0 said:
LOL Angus bull to add muscle thats funny. Just about nearly every angus bull ive ever seen was lacking in the rear and didnt put enough muscle in em. Go with a continental bull. I like Gelbvieh or GelbviehXAngus cross Balancer bulls.
thier out there but it takes a little digg'in. when ever i look at angus bulls my eye's automaticly dart too the rear. just a reflex i guess

Check out TC Ranch. I haven't seen much of their cattle, but I have a good friend that owns a 6000 head feedlot in Southern NE. He tells me when their customers calves come in the lot, they are some of the thicker, better doing calves he gets.

Bando 0699 I here is pretty thick . You will get thickness from the Tehama Bando 155 lines and WAR Alliance lines . Also Connealy Lead On sires thickness I here.

anything from Ohlde Cattle Company or Conley Angus would do fine

I personally love OCC Anchor, but he might have died I havent seen him online, BC Matrix is my favorite, I am breeding my heifer to him next, she is a VRD Twin eagles georgina cross

I agree Senorita. We just bred two to BC Matrix. I like what I have seen and heard about the OCC cattle.

Farmgirl

I have a young OCC Legend son that is wide as a tank and really muscly. If your interested PM me. I have a few pictures from when he was weaned.

Have u thought about Leachman Saugahatchee or Whitestone Xception

George Monk":2pgqw4nb said:

She's pretty and doing what she should be doing. Why are you taking frame away? I'm not going to be very helpful because that's not something we try to do here. We make most of our money selling bulls to commercial cattlemen and they like big bulls, at least around here. But you might look at the ABS bull Nichols Extra K205, AAA #13752642. He goes on back to EXT. They say he has a mature frame score of 5.5. And there's also Saugahatchee 3000C. From what I've seen he'll definitely take some fram away. Another EXT son. Good luck and I'd be interested in what you decide to use if you don't mind sharing.

thanks for the replies. I have search some of the bulls and Lead On looks like the "leader" right now. OCC bulls looked pretty good but the scrotal score eliminated them.
Frankie I am not trying to take frame away but I do want more muscle. If you look at that cow you see a good cow but no butt.
Cowboy and guest25.....too bad you aren't in a semen catalog because it is painfully obvious that you are THICK.

George Monk":nqkhbn69 said:
thanks for the replies. I have search some of the bulls and Lead On looks like the "leader" right now. OCC bulls looked pretty good but the scrotal score eliminated them.
Frankie I am not trying to take frame away but I do want more muscle. If you look at that cow you see a good cow but no butt.
Cowboy and guest25.....too bad you aren't in a semen catalog because it is painfully obvious that you are THICK.
she looks like a brood cow should look. you obviuosly like her are you wouldnt want to flush her. now if she was wearing a halter tied to a gas tank i might be more sceptical

Net Worth, Gridiron, Grid Topper come to mind. Some of the Gardiner bulls will work as well, but watch for frame.

guest25":13pv1nz0 said:
ALACOWMAN":13pv1nz0 said:
George Monk":13pv1nz0 said:
she looks like a brood cow should look. you obviuosly like her are you wouldnt want to flush her. now if she was wearing a halter tied to a gas tank i might be more sceptical

Say what you want the bull calf dont have a holstein head or body. That cow sure does though. What a shame that people cant take honest opinions and accept them or ignore them.

That bull tied to the propane tank has calves on the ground gaining over 3.5 lbs a day. Maybe just maybe the propane tank did him some good.
doubt it, maybe just got a feed sack tied around their heads. but real working class cattle will show a few prominent corners when their on duty

George Monk, I'd sure be interested in hearing what you think of Marathon 7022. He descends from OCC breeding and doesn't possess a big SC EPD but he measured 40.3 at 12 months. Takes time to build some accuracy on the scrotal EPD, but in my mind a 40 cm angus bull at a year of age is above the breed average by leaps and bounds.

George Monk, I'd sure be interested in hearing what you think of Marathon 7022. He descends from OCC breeding and doesn't possess a big SC EPD but he measured 40.3 at 12 months. Takes time to build some accuracy on the scrotal EPD, but in my mind a 40 cm angus bull at a year of age is above the breed average by leaps and bounds.

Capt.
That is the OCC bull I was looking at. He really looked good and had the muscleing I was wanting but the scrotal epd is the eliminator for me. My 9 yr goal is to sell bred heifers and I have been told scrotal size is directly related to fertility. I guess this is an argument against epd's but when you are looking at pictures and numbers what do you do????
thanks

Latest posts