Angus sire that produces the best daughters

Help Support CattleToday:

Mr. Greenjeans

Reaction score
In regard to fertility, calving ease, and udder, and genestar marker tests -- What Angus sire will produce the best females for a foundation herd?

Phenotype is of great importance in addition to a great genotype -- I like 'em pretty.

My goal is to start by A.I.'ing good quality registered Angus females to proven "super daughter" producing A.I. sires, retain 10 females who are from those sires and immediately breed them to the other top sires in the industry. I can't afford a $10,000 bull but I can see the benefit of a $30 straw.

Depends a lot on what you mean by "super daughter" :???:
If I was looking to build a maternal herd of cows that could function in range conditions with the highest potential for return with the least amount of input--one of the "Big Bull Stud" promoted bulls I would look at would be N Bar Prime Time D806- as the old N Bar ranch (now Sinclairs) was known world wide for their maternal cattle..After that I would be looking at bulls from herds with strong records of proven maternal ability- like Cole Creek, Diamond D, Shoshone, Wye, Horse Butte, Ohlde, etc....

You might not have to pay 10,000 for a bull that will make cows.What a super daughter maker is to you may not be to me,what type of cow do like best?

What type of cow do I like best? Probably the daughters of this one Oldtimer referred to

nbarprimetimed806.jpg

N Bar Prime Time D806:
• Breed Leader for Calving Ease, Marbling & Maternal Function
• Ranks in the top 1% of the breed for CED and %IMF
• Outstanding maternal performance with moderate input: +39.56 $W (top 1%) and +25.96 $EN (top 2%)
• Moderate framed, easy fleshing daughters with excellent teat & udder quality and sensible Milk EPDs for harsher environments

Mr. Greenjeans":k3wo019z said:
In regard to fertility, calving ease, and udder, and genestar marker tests -- What Angus sire will produce the best females for a foundation herd?

Phenotype is of great importance in addition to a great genotype -- I like 'em pretty.

My goal is to start by A.I.'ing good quality registered Angus females to proven "super daughter" producing A.I. sires, retain 10 females who are from those sires and immediately breed them to the other top sires in the industry. I can't afford a $10,000 bull but I can see the benefit of a $30 straw.

Sav 8180 Traveler 004
http://www.bullbarn.com/angblkepd.asp?ID=1172
Sav Final Answer 0035
http://www.bullbarn.com/angblkepd.asp?ID=492
N Bar Emulation EXT (Fence Jumpers but perfectly uddered daughters)
http://www.bullbarn.com/angblkepd.asp?ID=1341
Connealy Freightliner
http://www.bullbarn.com/angblkepd.asp?ID=113
Gardens Primestar
http://www.bullbarn.com/angblkepd.asp?ID=1340

I hear from my semen rep at genex that these scottish bulls put excellent daugthers out also.
Dunlouise Commander Bond
http://www.bullbarn.com/angblkepd.asp?ID=1369

Dunlouise Cortachy Boy
http://www.bullbarn.com/angblkepd.asp?ID=1371

Dunlouise Jipsy Earl
http://www.bullbarn.com/angblkepd.asp?ID=1370

EXT is real good and 6807 or a cross of the two work real well any where

A bull thats being highly touted by some in our area this year as a great cowmaker- that has good performance from his calves- is Cole Creek Black Cedar 46P-- 14496765..And he is a calving ease bull that has been used with no problems on heifers...

I haven't seen the bull personally- but those I've talked to that have- and his heifers- really speak highly of him.. I sure like the looks I've seen in pictures...

Frankie":3qz4eblo said:
Leachman Right Time.

agreed, EXT without the attitude. Another EXT son Leachman Explorer worked extremely well for us also.

The Scottish bulls, at this point, are all blowhard bull stud promotion commotion, it will be interesting to see if they do work but I think most will be disappointed with performance, and udder quality/milk when they get wet daughters (might be best to wait til they're 3 yo to calve out, like they do there).

004 daughters have been a wreck here, no stayability, though one daughter bucked the trend by making pathfinder.

Boyd New Day has been pretty well no holes for us, generally good udders, good production and fertility, everyone we've put in production has stayed so far (oldest is 5 and a pathfinder also).

Don't screw up the cowherd chasing unbelievable numbers for numbers sakes, take a look around your area at herds that are producing consistently good quality cattle then find out what sires/cow lines are behind them. Chances are the best female sire ever will never be famous, never have a stud contract and never be seen in the Angus Journal :D

robert":1r2emx4o said:
Don't screw up the cowherd chasing unbelievable numbers for numbers sakes, take a look around your area at herds that are producing consistently good quality cattle then find out what sires/cow lines are behind them. Chances are the best female sire ever will never be famous, never have a stud contract and never be seen in the Angus Journal :D

VERY WELL PUT :) Really upsets me I didn't say it ;-) :p :lol2:

I agree with Robert from a practical standpoint. If its a name that we look for EXT has long been hailed the cow maker of the breed. Pretty close behind him is Leachman Right Time. There are many EXT sons out there which have the same kind of reputation.

We really like O C C Emblazon 854E (and his sons') calves. They're smaller in frame size, but are super easy calving, and are extremely thick.

The original EXT was the most overpromoted piece of crap the Angus breed has ever produced. He was used on 1,000's of cows so there is the odd good one. Great udders but the s....tiest dispositioned cattle we've ever had on our place. I had close to a hundred of them at one time but were down to a couple now. The old Nichols Landmark L56 left daughters that lasted well into their teens and they didn't kill you or their calves at calving time. I have a few hundred straws of an EXT grandson that we collected I'm about to throw out if anybody is interested-I won't be using the wild little toad any time soon. Hope I didn't sugarcoat my opinion too much.

NR-

How many calves did you lose from EXT's cows or heifers? If one of my cows exhibited that kind of behavior, she would last just about as long as it would take me to feed her a .45 caliber knuckle sandwich!! In watching some of the RFD-TV Superior Sales on TV, you can almost pick out the EXT influenced calves, even down two or three generations. I am sure that attitude springs from EXT's Grandsire, Emulation 31. He was a :devil2:

DOC HARRIS

I agree with Doc. Went to a sale last month and they only had a couple of questionable attitudes come thru the ring and everyone of them had EXT in the pedigree. I did think that the 1/2 dozen Hyline Right Time 338 daughters did NOT show the EXT attitude. A question, the primrose family seems to be gaining in popularity stemming mainly from EXT's dam, did she have attitude problems as well? I think she was a Emulation 31 daughter. Does the females out of her and her daughters exhibit the same problems with attitude?

Everyone has a different definition of "best" and different bulls are good for different cows but if I had to choose one I would say Bushwacker. I just love him. But he is super expensive now because I think he croaked.

All I know is they were worse to calve and handle than our brahma cross rodeo cows. We used an OCC bull a few years back that didn't throw the sunniest dispositions either-the daughters are 'H's and we only have one left-I thought of her this morning because her yearling steer ran over my trucker lol.

Just looked at the two photo's posted by alacattleman on page 1 of this topic.

They look like real beef cattle to me. We should all be breeding that type of animal.

I once heard a judge in an interbreed class describe a cow as "A brick on four posts". That has always stuck in my mind and helped in my selection of animals. That type of animal always "stands out" in a herd to me and are a pleasure to look at.

But hay, they are only my thoughts :tiphat:

Latest posts