Angus sire choices

Help Support CattleToday:

joe

Reaction score
my AI tech is really pushing me to figure out what I want to order. just when I think I have it narrowed down, the Mrs. throws in a few more options. I need something for P'Fred 2nd calvers, like to keep the frame, add a little depth and add some protection of the P'Fred reputation of bad udders. I need semen for AngusX Hereford F-1's, that will be coming with 4th calf. more depth, muscle and milk, still keeping with a larger frame. and last something for old cows. they could use muscle. aiming for replacement heifers.
the Mrs likes SAF Focus Top Dollar for the P'Freds, but $40 a straw is a bit much. someone mentioned War Alliance 9126 - 6006 but I have not found him in any of my directories. opinions would be appreciated!

we have used WAR Alliance quite a bit in the last 2 years. he will have plenty of frame and calves will grow like weeds with very good muscle.

we only have heifers that should calve this fall so no udder knowledge yet, but his bull calves sell very well at least; we have only sold one or two daughters.

you could use a Simmental to add some frame and get some maternal heterosis since you are retaining females. you said you wanted more options didnt you? :D

If you want to add muscle, bone and guts and keep your frame use All Star AAA# 14282015, he's the best bull Doug Satree has raised.

ccc, that might be too high of a BW EPD for me. I have looked at Fame and Fortune backgrounds, but have heard bad things about feet? I do like the larger frame no matter. easy keeping and large frame seem to be total opposite. the Ai tech mentioned Saler bulls as an option, but only doing angus I an totally out of the know for any other breeds. the Mrs thinks a little maine would be nice, but she is "show" and i want some "go".

joe":2l2jt341 said:
my AI tech is really pushing me to figure out what I want to order. just when I think I have it narrowed down, the Mrs. throws in a few more options. I need something for P'Fred 2nd calvers, like to keep the frame, add a little depth and add some protection of the P'Fred reputation of bad udders. I need semen for AngusX Hereford F-1's, that will be coming with 4th calf. more depth, muscle and milk, still keeping with a larger frame. and last something for old cows. they could use muscle. aiming for replacement heifers.
the Mrs likes SAF Focus Top Dollar for the P'Freds, but $40 a straw is a bit much. someone mentioned War Alliance 9126 - 6006 but I have not found him in any of my directories. opinions would be appreciated!

What are the goals of your program?

joe":ltp6f8c8 said:

Have you looked at TC Foeman (GENEX)? Most of our calves are still small, but vigerous and growing well. Plus they look good. At bull sales, the buyers seem to like Foreman sons. Check out Nichols Extra H6 (ABS). He's an EXT son that could help the udders, but might not be as framey as you want. We only used Neutron 377 (GENEX) one year, but I really liked the bull that we sent to test. He was thick, well muscled, etc.

what about RITO 6I6 a low BW bull and his calves hit the ground running and finish to WW very good. He is a very popular bull from what I have seen. Look at select sires site.

Traveler 004 is $30 with a 2 month waiting list from Genex. If you can buy it for $20 you better get all you can. I bet it will being moving on the black market for $40-$50 when we get closer to breeding season. It did last year.

bulldealer":39e2uy23 said:
Traveler 004 is $30 with a 2 month waiting list from Genex. If you can buy it for $20 you better get all you can. I bet it will being moving on the black market for $40-$50 when we get closer to breeding season. It did last year.
One reason there is a waiting list is the bull has a very low libido. I watched him being collected. Slowwwww worker. Good bull though.

After producing over 50,000 units last year alone, I would imagine that his libido would be lacking. Did you see him in Strafford this fall? What did you think? I saw him in early November. I was pleasantly surprised, as he was bigger framed than I expected. I would guess 6 frame or just below. Lots of capacity, volume, and rib, to go with a hind quarter that was unmatched. He is a truck, and looks like he would sire tons of growth. In my opinion he is not all hype, but the real deal for an Angus bull.

Just remember, we never stray far away from our parentage.

He won't add frame either, much like 6I6.

Nichols Extra seems to be a magician as he can make an ass disappear very quickly.

I would be tempted to try 3210 Right Time D919. Some pretty good cowboys have called him to be one of the great sires to come out of Right Time.

Find him on the Angus Semen Service.

HA Image Maker 0415 (ABS) Stout, mid sized cattle, with barrel, structure and the females are excellent.

DTA ranch":21xe1v8c said:
I like SAV 8180 Traveler 004 bull. Look him up. $20.00 a straw.

Last I heard there was demand exceeding supply by multiple thousands of straws. That's been a few months ago though.

Sorry. Already been addressed. Got ahead of myself.

Anyway, I had a bull by 004 out of a darn good heifer yesterday. I'm anxious to see how he turns out.

bulldealer":yacocm8v said:
After producing over 50,000 units last year alone, I would imagine that his libido would be lacking. Did you see him in Strafford this fall? What did you think? I saw him in early November. I was pleasantly surprised, as he was bigger framed than I expected. I would guess 6 frame or just below. Lots of capacity, volume, and rib, to go with a hind quarter that was unmatched. He is a truck, and looks like he would sire tons of growth. In my opinion he is not all hype, but the real deal for an Angus bull.
I liked him very much. I thought he was complete . I dont particularly think he is a power house but has enough muscle and more than adequate volume. I didn't care for his feet. Something about his back toes didnt suit me. He is my type bull . If I bred blacks I'd use him unless you don't like the female aspect of his pedigree.