angus question

Help Support CattleToday:

alacattleman":1ml8zjuf said:
i guess i must be lost....... i was showing bishop what a real angus bull should look like and got wadded up in a sht storm

On the contray I think you make a valid point maybe I am just not as eloquent to make mine.

There is a study on the Russian blue Fox..
Started captive breeding in 20 or 30's, wild and one color , in about 12 generations, they were total different and about a half dozen fixed colors..Do not believe me, go looked it up and tell me the whole story...Probly used some calico cat genetics in there....

It is amazing what selective breeding can do in 10 generations....

Aaron":f163nwp3 said:
Line breeding to the point of inbreeding was the cause, and dwarfism is a horror that was caused by it.

unbelievable, how many times does it have to be said? Linebreeding and inbreeding DO NOT CAUSE DEFECTS! The use of Linebreeding by seedstock producers is the way to expose and eliminate defects BEFORE they become widespread in the registered or commercial herds, and in this day and age when the studs have a major influence on what is 'hot' or not they too should assume some responsibility to insure the latest bull of the month/year is free of genetic defects or such known defects are declared. But, I suppose, with the average length of operation for a 'registered' operation being less than 7 years who cares, right? 'cause some other sucker will be along in a minute, right? :roll: :roll:

robert":1fnyj8dj said:
Aaron":1fnyj8dj said:
Line breeding to the point of inbreeding was the cause, and dwarfism is a horror that was caused by it.

unbelievable, how many times does it have to be said? Linebreeding and inbreeding DO NOT CAUSE DEFECTS! The use of Linebreeding by seedstock producers is the way to expose and eliminate defects BEFORE they become widespread in the registered or commercial herds, and in this day and age when the studs have a major influence on what is 'hot' or not they too should assume some responsibility to insure the latest bull of the month/year is free of genetic defects or such known defects are declared. But, I suppose, with the average length of operation for a 'registered' operation being less than 7 years who cares, right? 'cause some other sucker will be along in a minute, right? :roll: :roll:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Well said, Robert! One of the reasons that the dwarfism problem remained buried and a mystery in the Hereford breed for so long was because the tendency for most breeders at that time was to not linebreed their cattle.

Aaron, I suggest you read "Battle Of The Bull Runts" by L.P. McCann.

George

I am glad somebody corrected Aaron on that. Pretty sad that a cattle breeder doesn't already know just the basics of dominant / recessive traits and linebreeding before they call themselves a "breeder".

Thanks Robert and George.

Jesus. Touchy, touchy. Some bug must be hitting the CT and Rancher's guys hard because they sure are quick to jump and disembowel anyone who doesn't word their sentences quite write.

I agree, it's not the cause. Although my spelling seems to be intact, I seem to type with a speed that results in me cropping some extra words that need to be in my sentences, to stave off the bloodhounds.

'Line breeding to the point of inbreeding was the cause (of the belt buckle Hereford cattle), and dwarfism is a horror that was exposed by it.

Better? :cowboy:

Aaron":339gr6f9 said:
'Line breeding to the point of inbreeding was the cause (of the belt buckle Hereford cattle), and dwarfism is a horror that was exposed by it.

Better? :cowboy:

not really, still factually inaccurate. Belt buckle was the result of a selection for type by breeders, no different than selection for the freaks of the '80's. Not all belt buckle types carried dwarfism, the Hereford Association determined that there was no correlation between type and carriers of dwarfism.

Dwarfism spread due to two things, the outcrossing policy of the WHR operation an those who used their genetics and the popularity of those genetics across the breed, once people started linebreeding through the 3rd, 4th generations and beyond the incidence of dwarfism increased. A very similar situation that happened to Angus with the AM and NH defects added to the popularity and policy of GAR and their followers. The author of 'Battle of Bull Runts' was somewhat prophetic in this regard!

Latest posts