Angus people

Help Support CattleToday:

spinandslide

Reaction score
For those involved in registered Angus..what would you expect to pay for a weanling son of New Design 878?? weanling that is bull material I should say.

spinandslide":2ndju19y said:
For those involved in registered Angus..what would you expect to pay for a weanling son of New Design 878?? weanling that is bull material I should say.

spinandslide-

This is a very difficult question to even attempt to answer, - as a matter of fact - NO ONE should even try to answer it because there are too many unknowns to venture a guess! What are the specifications of the cows to be mated? What are the EPD's of the dam of the weanling son? What are her Phenotype and Functional traits? What are the OTHER Characteristrics and Traits of the "Weanling" son? What Characteristics are YOU seeking for your particular herd goals? What particular factors does this weanling' bull possess that encourages you to make him a MAJOR part of your herd? Your considering buying this young bull is what I regard as "Ethereal" planning, and not enough solid preparatory study has been done to reveal enough information to justify the purchase. He may be okay, but in all reality, you don''t really KNOW that he fits your needs! You just THINK that he might.

The purchase of a bull necessitates a lot of organized work and thought to jusify the action, because he will dictate the future and potential profit of your business for YEARS in the future. A "Weanling" bull is NOT a wise choice, however qualified you may think he might be.

DOC HARRIS

spinandslide":3aevfgpg said:

That's tough. Just because he's by one of the breed's most used bulls (IMO, a good one), doesn't mean he'll grow up to be what you want in a herd sire. You'll be out a lot of money in feed to develop him to breeding age and then you may not like him. Or he may break a leg or get sick, then you've still got to go out and buy a bull. I'm with DOC on this one, it's risky. If I had to do that, I'd offer a little above commercial calf prices for him. Good luck.....

thanks for all those who responded..

Its a hypthetical question merely. I was quoted a price on a weanling son of his..which is a tremendous tremendous weanling..but I wanted to see if the price I was quoted fit what his sons are bringing. I realize the weanlings dam plays into this as well..but simply trying to find out what range one might think a registered angus by New Design..who "looks" to be everything a bull should be, would go for, price wise. Not looking for replacement heifer sires or anything. Something that will sire calves with good gains for the freezer...so to speak. I understand that is where EPD's come into play. the question was general..I understand its hard to give an accurate figure on what you'd think would be a fair price..but Im glad afew folks took a shot at it..gives me an idea at least.

Im well aware of the risks of buying young stock..very true you run the risk of having a dud and being out money..but you can sometimes end up with something really good as well.. :) its a gamble for sure and something you've got to weigh.

Sarah

spinandslide":uljouu9g said:
thanks for all those who responded..

Its a hypthetical question merely. I was quoted a price on a weanling son of his..which is a tremendous tremendous weanling..but I wanted to see if the price I was quoted fit what his sons are bringing. I realize the weanlings dam plays into this as well..but simply trying to find out what range one might think a registered angus by New Design..who "looks" to be everything a bull should be, would go for, price wise. Not looking for replacement heifer sires or anything. Something that will sire calves with good gains for the freezer...so to speak. I understand that is where EPD's come into play. the question was general..I understand its hard to give an accurate figure on what you'd think would be a fair price..but Im glad afew folks took a shot at it..gives me an idea at least.

Im well aware of the risks of buying young stock..very true you run the risk of having a dud and being out money..but you can sometimes end up with something really good as well.. :) its a gamble for sure and something you've got to weigh.

Sarah

What was the offered price?