angus/maine cross

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a chance to purchase some 2 and 3 year old cows ready to start calving the 1st of march. What are the pro's and con's of this cross? What would be a reasonable price range? They are breed back to angus.

I've seen some excellent 3/4 Angus 1/4 Maine calves. Graded well but many of them still had white feet. We also had some 50:50 Angus Maines that were growthier and graded almost the same. Marked a lot like Holsteins, but boy the muscle was really there. Same farm for both groups.

dun

guest":1dvmfygb said:
I have a chance to purchase some 2 and 3 year old cows ready to start calving the 1st of march. What are the pro's and con's of this cross? What would be a reasonable price range? They are breed back to angus.

Maine/Angus aren't bad cows at all. I have a few Maine X cows I bought onetime and they raise a nice calf. Bred back to an angus bull, you probably wouldn't have too much problem with white showing up although once in a while I get a little. Should be a good growing, good carcass quality calf. If they're nice cattle, around here you'd be paying in the $1000 + range for first or second calvers. You might check your local market reports and see what good bred young cows are bringing.

Latest posts