Angus. I don't get this...........

Help Support CattleToday:

IMO
The program started out to get people thinking they were eating 100% Angus. Most think they are, even today. Others followed suit in the deception changing their breed color to black.
The world has a new name for deception. It is now rationalized as good marketing.
Twist it in your mind any way you want but it is still a flat out lie.

Caustic Burno":337sqjck said:
IMO CAB is the worse thing I have seen happen to the beef industry. It sickens me to see what has happened to the breeds. Use to enjoy taking a trip and admiring the cattle on the way. As you were drivinng you could tell the kids look at beautiful herd of whateever. Now all you see is a cesspool of Angus genetics bred for a black hide.
I despise the breed for what it has done to the industry and yes I have an Angus bull standing in my pasture.
i despise the industry, for what its done to the breed

Roadapple":3vheaiwy said:
I agree with Caustic with 1 exception...there ain't no angus bull in my pasture.

The money in this area is the baldie replacement heifer. Have Hereford bulls standing in the lot and all are spoken for. Buyers purchasing them to put on black cows as a terminal cross.

laughable, the Angus breed didn't do anything to the beef industry, other than brand their own product, stamp their name on it and stand behind it. Every breed that has painted itself black has done so for one reason and one reason only, they want a piece of the Angus driven demand pie. All this anti-Angus bitterness and envy is just plain sad, if the mousetrap doesn't work for you, build a better one and quitcha... :lol2:

robert":28qdyqk9 said:
laughable, the Angus breed didn't do anything to the beef industry, other than brand their own product, stamp their name on it and stand behind it. Every breed that has painted itself black has done so for one reason and one reason only, they want a piece of the Angus driven demand pie. All this anti-Angus bitterness and envy is just plain sad, if the mousetrap doesn't work for you, build a better one and quitcha... :lol2:
I have nothing against Angus or any other breed for that matter. I would not, however, be a part of any assoc. that labels something as being certified in order to deceive the consumer. The general public is not getting what they think they are paying for. The Angus Assoc. is capitalizing off of the deception.
No I do not envy anyone that has become successful by deception.
Sounds like a lot of people have fallen into their mouse trap. They make up reasons why they should be there.

novatech":2fny501i said:
robert":2fny501i said:
I have nothing against Angus or any other breed for that matter. I would not, however, be a part of any assoc. that labels something as being certified in order to deceive the consumer. The general public is not getting what they think they are paying for. The Angus Assoc. is capitalizing off of the deception.
Sounds like a lot of people have fallen into their mouse trap. They make up reasons why they should be there.
Deception is where you "hide" info. It's plain as day on their websites. I don't believe they should have to go any farther than make the info available to the public. It is the consumers responsibility to check out their food supply. I read labels on cans...do you?
Valerie

vclavin":13czcg80 said:
Deception is where you "hide" info. It's plain as day on their websites. I don't believe they should have to go any farther than make the info available to the public. It is the consumers responsibility to check out their food supply. I read labels on cans...do you?
Valerie
The consumer does not think they should have to look it up. After all it is certified. If you don't think the Angus association plays on this then you are very naive. Go into any restaurant and ask a waitress how they know what they are serving is really Angus.
Look it up on the Internet. Yep we all carry a computer to the restaurant and store with us.
So why doesn't it state what CAB really is on the label so people like you, me, and others can read it? After all that is what you said you do.
Like I said; rationalize.
Right or wrong this is what I believe. It is just my opinion. You have the right to believe what you want.

novatech":2tyevvta said:
vclavin":2tyevvta said:
Valerie
The consumer does not think they should have to look it up. After all it is certified. If you don't think the Angus association plays on this then you are very naive. Go into any restaurant and ask a waitress how they know what they are serving is really Angus.
Look it up on the Internet. Yep we all carry a computer to the restaurant and store with us.
So why doesn't it state what CAB really is on the label so people like you, me, and others can read it? After all that is what you said you do.
Like I said; rationalize.
Right or wrong this is what I believe. It is just my opinion. You have the right to believe what you want.

ROFLMAO Novatech you hit the nail on the head.

vclavin":2omx17zk said:
novatech":2omx17zk said:
robert":2omx17zk said:
Valerie
Val to me the deception is in hte market when John Doe sees a pkg of meat labeled CAB, 50% more expensive and thinks he's gettingPURE angus bee when really it might be49% or so something else.

TexasBred":gadgcsy3 said:
vclavin":gadgcsy3 said:
Valerie
Val to me the deception is in hte market when John Doe sees a pkg of meat labeled CAB, 50% more expensive and thinks he's gettingPURE angus bee when really it might be49% or so something else.

As I said earlier, it's theoretically possible for an animal to have no Angus blood at all and still qualify for CAB. Not likely, but possible under the present rules. Remember, the phenotypic criteria is for a 51% black hide, not 51% Angus blood.

How many of you attempt to inform the public of the truth about CAB. I occassionaly tell people that I know don't know any better and they had no clue. Then I inform them about grades and how to by beef of equal value for less money. Hopefully the word continues to spread from there.

Ok, I get the picture. The Certified Angus Beef implies only Angus beef. Play on words. Like Black Limi bulls being pure Limi..or any other that came from Angus. .. I get it. We all play the game and all cry foul. Then the consumer pays for our "play on words"
Valerie

novatech":1yk4scwb said:
robert":1yk4scwb said:

Your argument us fundamentally flawed. In 1978 when CAB came into being and for the next 10 years the only true beef breed that was black was Angus, the initial live specs (that remain the same to this day) exclude dairy and brahman influence, so what changed? The Angus association and it's stand alone beef scheme or perhaps it is the competition that flatters to deceive? Be nice and moan all you wish but Angus are still black and CAB still wipes the floor with the competition yet neither have changed.

I believe any advertising campaign that does not bash the competition is good advertising for the industry as a whole. I have yet to see the Angus Assoc. bash other breeds or other breed Associations in their advertising campaign. I do believe that if the advertising is helping one beef association get it's name out, it will drag the others in the beef industry along with it. I have seen advertising from other animal protein sources bashing beef, but that does not seem to concern the very people that it affects the most. This reasoning is beyond my comprehension.

All of the sweat about people not knowing that CAB isn;t 100% Angus is pretty meaningless when most consumers have no idea what angus means anyway. The only cows they see on TV (other then old westerns) are Holstein happy cows!

dun":3ew3cvwy said:
All of the sweat about people not knowing that CAB isn;t 100% Angus is pretty meaningless when most consumers have no idea what angus means anyway. The only cows they see on TV (other then old westerns) are Holstein happy cows!

Or on billboards advertising chicken.

I have not been on the CAB website for a while, but if they have not changed the site it has two sections.
One part is for cattle producers, and many people in the cattle business do not understand the qualifications. The second section is for consumers. The consumer section does not mention any of the qualifications to be CAB. It does not give any indication that CAB is anything less than all angus. This is my problem with CAB.

CSM

had many of the competing breeds not decided to turn themselves black the chances are that most non-dairy, non-brahman influence black cattle would either be Angus sired or out of Angus influence dams, period. The success of CAB and the growth of the Angus breed over the past 20+ years is neither fad nor fashion, it is built upon standing behind your product at the consumer level and the demand for that product driving the increase in use of Angus genetics. Envy is not an admirable trait.

CSM":enw5gyiq said:
The consumer section does not mention any of the qualifications to be CAB. It does not give any indication that CAB is anything less than all angus. This is my problem with CAB.

CSM

It wouldn't make good business sense, for an association whose dues paying members are Angus breeders, to advertise anything but Angus. If there were any statements in the campaign that state CAB is 100% pure Angus, then I could see where there could be an arguable claim.

bigbull338":2dnu4gaa said:
....'im not bashing the angus breeders......i dont follow the color fads.i buy well bred cattle i can make money on.an yes i run a black beefmaster bull.only reason being is he is a home raised bull.
=============
...and you raised a ...'black beefmaster'....for what purpose?

Latest posts