Angus hoof and udder scoring

Help Support CattleToday:

Ebenezer

Reaction score
Since the breed has begun scoring and apparently wants better cattle in terms of more proper hooves and correct udders, why not remove any animal from the breed which scores or produces cattle that score on the worst ends of hooves (1,2, 8 & 9)
or score on the extreme worst side of udder suspension, balloon teats, ...? Wouldn't that be progressive and a way to speed up cleaning up the breed? Maybe same for bad disposition. Just drop their registered status and move on.

It would be very progressive, but that would also start cutting down on their revenue. and members. $$$$
I wish they would start scoring, and culling on sickle hock.

Ebenezer, two problems with your suggestion..
1. I dont think any member organization should pull the papers on anything for less than a lethal defect.
2. If you have serious penalities for poor footed animals, how many 1,2, 8, and 9 scores do you think you will get? I already doubt many of the bulls with the foot epds out there.
One addon to that, hats off to Hoover Angus and Landi McFarland Livingston, looks to me you were harder on your bulls than anyone else out there.

If you have serious penalities for poor footed animals, how many 1,2, 8, and 9 scores do you think you will get? I already doubt many of the bulls with the foot epds out there.
Bingo.

I think udder problems are very hard to detect. I have one cow that is going this year after her 2nd calf, she had very large ballooned teats at the time of calving yet once the calf got going she would have scored as a perfect udder.

Ken

Latest posts