Angus Holstien X

Help Support CattleToday:

Daisy452

Reaction score
I bought a Angus Holstein Cross heifer to breed her and show her as a commercial heifer. Now Im 16 and new to the cattle world, people have been telling me that she will die during calving, or her calf will die. Also they say she won't show well. If you could give me your imput and advice I would apprieciate it.

Daisy452":2xjli4hl said:
I bought a Angus Holstein Cross heifer to breed her and show her as a commercial heifer. Now Im 16 and new to the cattle world, people have been telling me that she will die during calving, or her calf will die. Also they say she won't show well. If you could give me your imput and advice I would apprieciate it.

I doubt she will show well. Dairy cattle/crosses don't generally carry the muscle to compete with true beef cattle. As a half blood, I doubt she can show in the Holstein class. But I don't know why she'd be expected to die during calving. Did they think she might be a freemartain? That makes the heifer sterile and wouldn't cause her or her calf to die. You do need to learn about EPDs and select an easy calving bull for her first calf, but there are lots of them available. I'd suggest breeding her back to an Angus bull.

To be considered Holstein it cannot even have a teeny tiny portion of beef in it.If they DNA and you get caught your out of the association.At least that's with Holstien Canada,they are pretty tough on liars/cheats alot have been caught fibbing bloodlines in the last 5 years.Breed her to a calving ease Holstein bull if she is half beef she will probably cough that calf out.The only thing you have to watch is her udder and the probability of milk fever.I don't know where she could be shown even commercially as both beef and dairy are usually really biased about their breeds.I still love my Gelbsteins can't wait until they calve in two years might have the best of both worlds.Post a pic of her if you can I would love to see what she looks like.

I don't know anything about showing cattle, but I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would tell you that she or her calf will die during calving. If she's healthy and old enough to breed she should be fine.

Daisy452":2fgnlfav said:
people have been telling me that she will die during calving, or her calf will die.

That's one of the oddest things I've ever heard. There's got to be more to the story... :)

Alice

Frankie":2wo426tx said:
Daisy452":2wo426tx said:

I doubt she will show well. Dairy cattle/crosses don't generally carry the muscle to compete with true beef cattle. As a half blood, I doubt she can show in the Holstein class. But I don't know why she'd be expected to die during calving. Did they think she might be a freemartain? That makes the heifer sterile and wouldn't cause her or her calf to die. You do need to learn about EPDs and select an easy calving bull for her first calf, but there are lots of them available. I'd suggest breeding her back to an Angus bull.

No she isnt a freemartain. Yes ive been looking into angus bulls ive fond quite a few I like. For her genetics she is very well muscled.

Alice":n14rhdj3 said:
Daisy452":n14rhdj3 said:
people have been telling me that she will die during calving, or her calf will die.

That's one of the oddest things I've ever heard. There's got to be more to the story... :)

Alice

Really there isnt much more to the story, what i said is what the people told me. And to a 4-h girl, to say that is pretty cruel, what would of happened if i was 10 or younger it would of broke me.

hillsdown":33pr5n9s said:
To be considered Holstein it cannot even have a teeny tiny portion of beef in it.If they DNA and you get caught your out of the association.At least that's with Holstien Canada,they are pretty tough on liars/cheats alot have been caught fibbing bloodlines in the last 5 years.Breed her to a calving ease Holstein bull if she is half beef she will probably cough that calf out.The only thing you have to watch is her udder and the probability of milk fever.I don't know where she could be shown even commercially as both beef and dairy are usually really biased about their breeds.I still love my Gelbsteins can't wait until they calve in two years might have the best of both worlds.Post a pic of her if you can I would love to see what she looks like.

I ll be breeding her to an Angus bull. Yes i will be wathcing for milk fever and uture problems of mastitus ect.

VanC":j5tsdxrh said:
I don't know anything about showing cattle, but I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would tell you that she or her calf will die during calving. If she's healthy and old enough to breed she should be fine.

She is only 5 months old, ill be breeding her to an Angus bull. She is healthy and no signs of any problems.

Daisy452":37hypbzc said:
VanC":37hypbzc said:

She is only 5 months old, ill be breeding her to an Angus bull. She is healthy and no signs of any problems.

You're going to wait until she is 13 month's of age or so to breed her, aren't you?

As Msscamp said, wait til she's at least 13 to 15 months of age to breed her.

Alot of folks around here have some cows that are Holstein X Angus. They've made for some decent mothers and nurse cows.

About the showing part, sorry I can't help you there.

Good luck with her.

Katherine

Daisy452":6iq49krv said:
Alice":6iq49krv said:
Daisy452":6iq49krv said:

Alice

Really there isnt much more to the story, what i said is what the people told me. And to a 4-h girl, to say that is pretty cruel, what would of happened if i was 10 or younger it would of broke me.

Didn't mean it to be cruel, I promise. The "more to the story" was not directed toward you. I was wondering the motives of the people that told you she will die during calving, or her calf will die.

Alice

Alice":qwb7msvd said:
Daisy452":qwb7msvd said:
Alice":qwb7msvd said:
Daisy452":qwb7msvd said:

Alice

Didn't mean it to be cruel, I promise. The "more to the story" was not directed toward you. I was wondering the motives of the people that told you she will die during calving, or her calf will die.

Alice

I have 5 kids. (3 gone 2 to go) They all have come home with stories about what other kids have said. Very cruel and hateful things that are intended to cut someone down. I have always tried to explain that the other kids are jelous of what you have, the way you look, the friends you have, etc, or they believe they have a fault within themselves they are trying to hide by abusing others. Kids can be very cruel. I also tell my kids these are just learning experiances to prepare them for the future and how to cope with it. But it still hurts when they are hurt.

Neighbor is retired Jersey dairyman. He bred some of his cows to angus before he quit milking. Kept the heifers from them. He also bought some reg. angus cows from sale of dairy cows. These angus/jersey cows raise some nice calves. He says they are always larger then herd mates, more milk I suppose. But when he sells the calves, the buyer docks them for being too fat. They always figure out something.

Daisy452":mjxpi66s said:

I am assuming "they" mean she will die if you breed her to a holstein bull because she is 1/2 beef. Holsteins generally have large calves, 100+ pounds in my herd was very common. Beef on the other hand generally have smaller calves, 70 pounds or so. I would see absolutely no problem breeding her to a beef bull. As someone said she should spit the calf right out.

msscamp":h6fnx570 said:
Daisy452":h6fnx570 said:
VanC":h6fnx570 said:

You're going to wait until she is 13 month's of age or so to breed her, aren't you?

Yes I am. I see when she first comes into heat her first time, let her go on two three more times to pinpoint any problems then I ll breed her.

Alice":304aazhe said:
Daisy452":304aazhe said:
Alice":304aazhe said:
Daisy452":304aazhe said:

Alice

Alice

Oh no i didnt take it you were being mean to me, but the persons that said they run their own cattle buisness and after she told me my little Daisy would die she tried selling me some of her heifers. I think it was more buisness, and i just looked into it too much.

millstreaminn":1z60lh9y said:
Daisy452":1z60lh9y said:

I am assuming "they" mean she will die if you breed her to a holstein bull because she is 1/2 beef. Holsteins generally have large calves, 100+ pounds in my herd was very common. Beef on the other hand generally have smaller calves, 70 pounds or so. I would see absolutely no problem breeding her to a beef bull. As someone said she should spit the calf right out.

Im actually going to breed her to a angus bull. My dad and i want to raise our own home growed beef.