Angus/Holstein Steer ?

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience on finishing an Angus/Holstein steer on grass/grain? I'm going to look at one tomorrow that is 13 months old and around 750 pds. and was bottle fed and a project for some kids, they are ready to sell now. He would be on grass and probably 3-5 pds. of feed a day.

i've got a bunch of em , they will gain just fine , pour the corn to em. i just sent off four to the butcher a couple weeks ago and we netted out an average of 275 lb sides none under 260 , with the holstein influence probably any weight over 1150 will be hard won , and you want them there at about 16 months or less is what i have been told. they were getting about 15 lbs a day of corn for the last three months and they could have eaten more but i couldn't afford more. If your weight estimate is correct they are a bit behind the curve . feed heck out of em ! We do alright with these but i sure do like the pure beef breeds , a lot easier to get the weight on.

I finished two angus/holstein cross steers last fall... some really good beef there. I put them on straight corn and alfalfa hay at 11 months and 800lbs, finished them at 1300lbs and 16 months of age. 10lbs of corn per day for 5 months. Really well finished and some of the tenderest, best meat we've had in quite some time.

Latest posts