Angus heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Thank you. reg # 19822559, 19822558, 19822557. First pics are 2013 and 2011, last is 2012. 2011 bred to Musgrave Big River, the other two to Crackerjack.

I though they were nice when I bought them , but they've really came on this summer.

B2D128F0-01E4-44C5-B1CA-E787327EAD98.jpeg
Bull calf out of the 2013 heifer and crackerjack. Was a bit sluggish due to the cold rain today but I got him and momma run in the dry. He was up and sucking a little while ago. I'll weigh him and give him Inforce 3 tomorrow.

Yes. She and 2011 are officially due Dec 19 so the calf was a couple days early. I put 2011 in the barn today too, I really thought she'd be the first to go. 2012 is due Jan 8, took her two rounds of Al to settle.

I'm guessing this calf to be 80 pounds, we'll see how close I am tomorrow.

There is a guy down the road from me that calves in January because he runs is cow in common with others in the summer, and does not want his cows bred by another's bulls.

I know some folks want them a good size when the grass greens so they and momma can start getting more from that, rather than being that size for the late summer slump. I don't like calving in the cold mud myself. Small live calves sell better than dead ones.

A lot of registered breeders calve in the winter, so the bulls will have a little more size and age on them for breeding as yearlings.
I personally don't enjoy dealing with calves in the cold weather, however it seems like our best doing calves are the ones born in February. The do ok usually, but a cold rain or snow is hard on a newborn. We have more rain than snow and try to bring them up to the barn if they are close to calving with impending bad weather.

A lot of registered breeders calve in the winter, so the bulls will have a little more size and age on them for breeding as yearlings.
I personally don't enjoy dealing with calves in the cold weather, however it seems like our best doing calves are the ones born in February. The do ok usually, but a cold rain or snow is hard on a newborn. We have more rain than snow and try to bring them up to the barn if they are close to calving with impending bad weather.
I've lost more calves to a cold rain than anything. Dry cold isn't great but not so bad, but cold wet is awful. I hate to see a newborn not have a warm or dry place to lay down, then rained on to boot. Recipe for disaster.

All 3 heifers are real nice - I don't like the tailhead on 2011 (typical Angus fat tailhead - me being picky) - but other than that, all great addition to any herd.. Calves look great. Good job.
My main group calves Jan/Feb. Our falls and springs are way too wet and muddy. Winter, everything is frozen - very little health problems. Our cold is a high humidity cold, so all are calved in barn. Barn is same temp as outdoors, but no wind and dry bedding. I would much rather fight the freezing temps than the mud. By the time we get into mud season, our calves are smart enough to stay out of the bad areas.
If you are selling show or breeding stock, Jan/Feb (or Sept- Dec) are a good birth date. Of course, some show people like summer calves because they don't have much competition in the ring - LOL

All 3 heifers are real nice - I don't like the tailhead on 2011 (typical Angus fat tailhead - me being picky) - but other than that, all great addition to any herd.. Calves look great. Good job.
My main group calves Jan/Feb. Our falls and springs are way too wet and muddy. Winter, everything is frozen - very little health problems. Our cold is a high humidity cold, so all are calved in barn. Barn is same temp as outdoors, but no wind and dry bedding. I would much rather fight the freezing temps than the mud. By the time we get into mud season, our calves are smart enough to stay out of the bad areas.
If you are selling show or breeding stock, Jan/Feb (or Sept- Dec) are a good birth date. Of course, some show people like summer calves because they don't have much competition in the ring - LOL
Just about all we get is mud anymore. We flirt with that freezing mark all winter so it's as cold a mud as can be.

Used to you could count on a frozen February, lots of calves born then, but many have backed up to March-May to at least get some warmer temps.

You sound like my cousin, who's die hard Simmental. He doesn't like the Angus look either lol! BC Lookout being the exception.