Angus heifers x gert bull

Help Support CattleToday:

newrancher

Reaction score
I know everyone has their favorite breed , in the past Ive been impressed with santa gertrudis calving ease. Does anyone have any pictures of this cross, and what do you think.

Is it calving ease because if the gert cow? Many times it is the breed influence on the cow side that limits calf size, especially with brahman influence.
Or is it the gert bull producing a low birth weight calf? On angus heifers I would choose a low birth weight bull no matter what the breed.

It seems backwards for the southern climate. You need the ear on the cow for heavy calves nursing through the summer. If you went the other way around with angus bull on eared cows you would do fine for market calves.

The calving ease is in the gert cow,not so much in the gert Bull, although thats all I ever use on heifers.... but then I raised the bull so I know the size of the Bull as a newborn. However, I have used Gert bulls on Fullblood Simmental and crossbred Simmental and the weight of some of those babies can be over a hundred pounds. Those Simmies would have had a big calf regardless of which bull used, however add some hybrid vigor with the 3/16ths brahma influence in the calf , you can get some bigger babies. The good news is that they never hip lock, which is a small consolation if you have to pull it. If your Hereford heifers are in that 900 pound range I would try a Gert with a lower birth weight and in all likelyhood you won't have any problems. You will however have some dandy calves that will grow like crazy.

Those Angus X Gert heifers will make excellent cows and their steer mates will sell well at the sale barn.
Most will look like Brangus type cattle with a few brindles and reds.

This cross will produce a calf with less than 1/4 Brahman influence (some people call that a Panhandle cross) and those calves can be put on most orders with okie cattle and never look back.

bward":1jkytxix said:
The calving ease is in the gert cow,not so much in the gert Bull, although thats all I ever use on heifers.... but then I raised the bull so I know the size of the Bull as a newborn. However, I have used Gert bulls on Fullblood Simmental and crossbred Simmental and the weight of some of those babies can be over a hundred pounds. Those Simmies would have had a big calf regardless of which bull used, however add some hybrid vigor with the 3/16ths brahma influence in the calf , you can get some bigger babies. The good news is that they never hip lock, which is a small consolation if you have to pull it. If your Hereford heifers are in that 900 pound range I would try a Gert with a lower birth weight and in all likelyhood you won't have any problems. You will however have some dandy calves that will grow like crazy.
that sound like a good cross, like the herf/gert cross moma cow real well..

We had some Herf x Gert cows for a while. Great cows, great milkers, great calves - the only problem is those ears. Calves with bigger ears just won't sell very good in this part of the country and from time to time, we'd get a calf with a touch too much ear and we are using angus bulls.

It depends on where you are. A 3/16 blood calf will not be discounted here in East Texas. Hard to tell by the amount of ear on one of those calves and calves with a good bit of continental breeding. Since most of the cows some Brahman influence anything with a 1/4 or less Brahman tops our markets.

BC":8pq1gepm said:
It depends on where you are. A 3/16 blood calf will not be discounted here in East Texas. Hard to tell by the amount of ear on one of those calves and calves with a good bit of continental breeding. Since most of the cows some Brahman influence anything with a 1/4 or less Brahman tops our markets.
some calves with 1/4 brahman blood will have about the same ear as a half blood "by that i mean apperance only not percentage" . ive also raised F1'S that looked to have more bos taurus influence, than brahman

ALACOWMAN":2dsgq7dy said:
BC":2dsgq7dy said:
some calves with 1/4 brahman blood will have about the same ear as a half blood "by that i mean apperance only not percentage" . ive also raised F1'S that looked to have more bos taurus influence, than brahman

I have been buying a lot of lightweight heifers at these prices. If they don't have at least a quarter ear, I don't even bid. It sounds like I need to go to East Texas to buy my calves.

BC":idbuhzhy said:
Those Angus X Gert heifers will make excellent cows and their steer mates will sell well at the sale barn.
Most will look like Brangus type cattle with a few brindles and reds.

This cross will produce a calf with less than 1/4 Brahman influence (some people call that a Panhandle cross) and those calves can be put on most orders with okie and never look back.
cattle Thank you every one for your input, this is the direction I was headed. It seems these would be very efficient cattle for this area.

the price might be cut because of the ear but they will make up in it with weight. I got a 5 1/2 month old bull calf that weighs 647.

Latest posts