Angus Heifers to Evaluate

Help Support CattleToday:

Nebraska Sandhills

Reaction score
Had a few minutes on Sunday to snap some pictures of the replacements. The first three are registered Angus and the last one is a commercial. The first one is my favorite...and from there it's a tossup. We just got through AI'ing them and are glad to have them out to grass for the summer.

8256.jpg

8102.jpg

8231.jpg

8107.jpg

Hip to pin is too straight for me. Heart girth isn't the best. Not a fan of the hind legs either. All quite similar types though. And all feminine. Also the second one looks a little coarse in the shoulders IMO.

IMO you know your cattle and know the type that will turn a profit. Just what I like to see in a pasture. :nod:

mnmtranching":d0rui6wg said:
IMO you know your cattle and know the type that will turn a profit. Just what I like to see in a pasture. :nod:
you mean his not gonna hit the show circuit with em :p

Hip to pin is too straight? Always thought you wanted that as level as possible. Maybe not show heifers, but all of them have an adequate amount of quarter and look to have some good depth of rib. Looks like they'll be easy fleshing mama cows that'll make some $$$. As DOC would say, I think they'll be good for your BU$INE$$.

I think I like the second one the best. Who are the sire and dam of each? Who did you breed them with?

Hip to pin is too straight for me.

Agreed. That is the first thing that sticks out to me. Big coarse tail heads becasue there isn't enough slope from hook to pin. Other than that I think they're in nice shape for breeding; not to light or heavy. I don't like the front end and head on the third heifer but the other heifers look pretty good.

Blackcowz: Besides looking ugly (in my opinion) it can create real world problems. You want a slight slope so that when the animal is calving gravity is working with her not against her. Also allows for proper cleaning after calving. Have even heard it suggested that the higher pin set affects fertility becasue of the angle being difficult for the bull to enter.

blackcowz":3vp9x3tx said:
Hip to pin is too straight? Always thought you wanted that as level as possible. Maybe not show heifers, but all of them have an adequate amount of quarter and look to have some good depth of rib. Looks like they'll be easy fleshing mama cows that'll make some $$$. As DOC would say, I think they'll be good for your BU$INE$$.

Nooooo. If it's straight typically the tail head is too high and you get a dip in the back like they have there. Ideally you want it slightly off, too far and you have a roach back.

aussie_cowgirl":o0bvyr0e said:
blackcowz":o0bvyr0e said:

Nooooo. If it's straight typically the tail head is too high and you get a dip in the back like they have there. Ideally you want it slightly off, too far and you have a roach back.

Not to smart off by any means, but being off in her hip is not a complement in the reasons room over here in the USA. I don't think the hip necessarily constitutes a sway or roach top. When the hip is off, it can simply a sign that they are so dadgum straight off of both ends that they compensate their restricted movement by roaching in their top. They also put their head down due to how straight their shoulder is because they can't get it up. The hip slopes because they are walking under themselves and consequently roaching, causing there to be a slope from hooks to pins. The hip is only a gauge. But, these heifers' backs are straight and their tail-heads are high. Some like high tail-heads and some don't. Back to personal preference. I seriously doubt these heifers are not 100% sound and they look to have perfectly fine legs, shoulder, and hips to me.

blackcowz":dub7nj7n said:
aussie_cowgirl":dub7nj7n said:
blackcowz":dub7nj7n said:

Not to smart off by any means, but being off in her hip is not a complement in the reasons room over here in the USA. I don't think the hip necessarily constitutes a sway or roach top. When the hip is off, it can simply a sign that they are so dadgum straight off of both ends that they compensate their restricted movement by roaching in their top. They also put their head down due to how straight their shoulder is because they can't get it up. The hip slopes because they are walking under themselves and consequently roaching, causing there to be a slope from hooks to pins. The hip is only a gauge. But, these heifers' backs are straight and their tail-heads are high. Some like high tail-heads and some don't. Back to personal preference. I seriously doubt these heifers are not 100% sound and they look to have perfectly fine legs, shoulder, and hips to me.

From what I've been taught a long, level hip will indicate long, fluid stride. Reasons for being level from hooks to pins also includes that if the hip slopes off to much it puts pressure on the loin-hip junction and most often they are sickle hocked too. You do want that slight slope when you are calving and release after birth, but as with anything don't chase extremes either way. Also a heifer thats long and level from hooks to pins is generally nicer balancing & profiling than one that just completely slopes off.

blackcowz":f1o96fel said:
aussie_cowgirl":f1o96fel said:
blackcowz":f1o96fel said:

Yeah but they're only heifers, put more weight on them and it might be different. And you are right that other things indicate dip/roach back. I don't like high tail heads. I've always been taught having the hips slightly higher than the pins levels the tailhead and straightens the back and plays a role in calving ease. This is from a number of commercial producers and stud producers.

That's your opinion but I still believe the second heifer is strong in the shoulder, go compare 1,3 and 4's shoulders to the 2nd heifer and you will see. I don't like how far back they stand naturally. Given I think the last one is on the hill. They aren't my type of animal, but apparently they are your type. Which is why some people like them some don't. I don't believe they are 100% sound. But I'm picky. And that works for me.

#2 is short necked and faced, giving you a bold shouldered look. She's got plenty acceptable shoulders. Don't see where I called them my type of cattle, but I just wanted to get clear on all this hip structure stuff. Just real quick, as you've been told and taught that some slope to the hip is ideal, I have been taught that a heifer needs to be able to put that hind leg back and take a good picture. That's another indicator that she's soft enough off her hind two and also would indicate she's sound. Structure and soundness can be two different things. I guess my point is that these heifers are plenty acceptable in their structure and look sound. Anyhow, I'll jump off this wagon. :D

These are typical of the modern American type females. Pointy rear ends, straight back legs. Give me the good old beefy types from years ago but maybe with a bit more scale.
I just can't abide by these extreme types. But if the US breeders like them that way they can keep them.

Australian":2bquyo6v said:
These are typical of the modern American type females. Pointy rear ends, straight back legs. Give me the good old beefy types from years ago but maybe with a bit more scale.
I just can't abide by these extreme types. But if the US breeders like them that way they can keep them.

Not following your thoughts Australian.....I don't care if you don't like the heifers, but I wouldn't consider these to have "pointy"? rear ends or straight back legs. I would be interested to hear a more in depth explanation of what you mean if you have a chance.

For what it's worth....

6326.jpg

sire of the #1 heifer

031.jpg

dam of the #1 heifer

4608new.jpg

sire of the #3 heifer

5145.jpg

dam of the #3 heifer

2215.jpg

sire of the #4 heifer

Latest posts