Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie

Reaction score
From www.angus.org:

August 6, 2009

For More Information Contact:

Bryce Schumann, chief executive officer, at 816-383-5100 or [email protected]

An Investment in the Future

During the last 12 months, few businesses in America have avoided impacts of the faltering economy.

The American Angus Association® is no different.

While we continue to enjoy strong demand for Angus seedstock, and consumer demand for Certified Angus Beef® will set new records this year, the Association is faced with the challenges of streamlining operations, cutting costs and developing new sources of revenue.

Earlier this year, we began a careful evaluation of all Association programs, looking for areas where we could reduce costs and enhance revenue while maintaining the same level of quality service our members have come to expect.

As a result of this evaluation, we have reduced nearly $800,000 of expenses from our budget. In the coming months, we will reduce a total of $1.4 million, or about 12%, of our annual budget.

Following thoughtful deliberation, the board of directors on July 28, 2009, passed a policy requiring that all animals be registered before breeders can access their EPDs. I believe this decision will go a long way in protecting and enhancing the value of a registration certificate for all of our members.

In addition, the board voted to increase annual membership dues from $30 to $80, effective January 1, 2010, marking the first such increase since 2001.

All other fees for services remain the same – even though it's been nearly 30 years since many of them have been increased. For instance, the last increase in transfer fees was in 1982. Fees for AI certificates have not increased since 1981. Registration fees have not increased since 1980.

Consider, too, that the new membership dues are competitive with dues combined with subscriptions of other associations. For instance, American Hereford Association charges $115; American Simmental Association, $100; American-International Charolais Association, $100; North American Limousin Foundation, $130; and International Brangus, $150.

The Association's new membership dues plus an annual subscription to Angus Journal will be $130, or slightly more than $10 a month.

Perhaps most importantly, the new membership dues will ensure the continuation of the Association's 126-year tradition of quality of service, information, outreach and leadership – including field services and breeder support staff.

Examples of these services include the new and improved member "log-on," a major development from upgrading the Association's computer system, which improves the efficiency of members and the ability of the Association to deliver a higher level of service. This resulted from an investment of nearly $2 million.

Other programs and activities funded by membership dues include the National Junior Angus Show and the national convention in Louisville, Ky., each year.

The new membership dues will also ensure the Association's investment in an updated, innovative and more aggressive public relations, advertising and marketing program. And, it helps to secure a continued commitment to providing cattle producers across America with the most valuable research and performance information available in the industry today.

In sum, all of these efforts will play a critical role in continuing to build economic strength for Angus cattle.

Thank you for your continued support of our Association. You can be assured that we will do everything possible to ensure your investment in Association programs and activities will continue to reap dividends for your business and your family.

You know frankie, I do not mind a 10% raise but 300% and then say look every one else is the same.....HOGWASH...

you mean to tell me that your angus mag is not included in your membership fees.the BBUs membership an mag cost $90 a year or lifetime membership for both is $1000.

Membership including the mag right now is $80, going up to $130. I think when dues come around next time I will skip the mag. This is an absurd rate hike. They will loose membership over this, almost guaranteed. :roll:

I think we've Angus breeders have been pretty spoiled the last 10-15 years by the Assn. Times have been good for the breed. I don't doubt we'll lose members because of this increase in fees. NH has put some people on the edge, this might drive them over. We'll have to wait for the fall sales to see how badly all these problems are going to affect us. We can always run them as commercial cows if the bottom drops out of the purebred business. :???:

How could a $50 increase in annual fees possible be enough to make some people drop their membership?

alexfarms":229rzohg said:
How could a $50 increase in annual fees possible be enough to make some people drop their membership?

What, exactly, would it take to make you drop your membership?

Frankie":mfjihw2j said:
I think we've Angus breeders have been pretty spoiled the last 10-15 years by the Assn. Times have been good for the breed. I don't doubt we'll lose members because of this increase in fees. NH has put some people on the edge, this might drive them over. We'll have to wait for the fall sales to see how badly all these problems are going to affect us. We can always run them as commercial cows if the bottom drops out of the purebred business. :???:

Wait till the fawn calf test is ready, you ain't seen nothing yet. I don't think people are going to be prepared for that. You think the big boys have been crying over AM and NH, just wait. :lol2:

alexfarms":1qcom0is said:

It would make me stop taking the journal. If you are small and have a couple of breeds, just look at the membership dues each year, it adds up in a hurry.

Some people were just keeping the membership because it didn't cost much. They really weren't benefitting much from registered cattle, those would drop it, I'm pretty sure of that.

I think people that had just a few registered head will drop it, possibly us. We are mostly commercial and with prices at the sales this spring and last fall most of the cattle would have been better off at the sale barn. Guess we will have to look at what want to do.

It seems funny that Angus breeders have to pay for their breed magazine. Any publications by the breed organizations that I belong to are included as part of the membership.
To belong to the Australian Brahman Breeders Association it costs $165 a year (no female inventory or anything weird like that)
South Devon Cattle Breeders Australian Association costs $100 a year (no female inventory)
South Devon Cattle Society cost $220 a year (female fees on top of that)
It is quite reasonably priced to belong to ABBA and the SDCBAA as we only pay for the cattle we want to register and that payment is for life. Thats why we don't belong to any breeds that impose and FIS. Would love to register a few Herefords but they have lost membership because of the FIS hike in prices.

charolais is $100 and not worth it....1 in a 100 people couldn't tell you what "Charolais" is, person, place or thing...And the 1 in a 100 that knew it was a breed of cattle would more than likely say you have to pull their calves!!! At least angus has did some marketing...

Australian":2f98wdtq said:
It seems funny that Angus breeders have to pay for their breed magazine. Any publications by the breed organizations that I belong to are included as part of the membership.
To belong to the Australian Brahman Breeders Association it costs $165 a year (no female inventory or anything weird like that)
South Devon Cattle Breeders Australian Association costs $100 a year (no female inventory)
South Devon Cattle Society cost $220 a year (female fees on top of that)
It is quite reasonably priced to belong to ABBA and the SDCBAA as we only pay for the cattle we want to register and that payment is for life. Thats why we don't belong to any breeds that impose and FIS. Would love to register a few Herefords but they have lost membership because of the FIS hike in prices.

Membership fees used to include the Journal, but as publishing and mailing costs went up, they separated the two and allowed people who didn't want the magazine to join the Assn cheaper. And it allowed people who were not members (libraries, extension offices, high school ag teachers, etc.) to just subscribe to the magazine.