Angus EPD’s

Help Support CattleToday:

gizmom said:
NEFarmwife

I think the carcass chase has had a negative impact on Black Angus. To clarify the breeders that were chasing single traitshave had a negative impact. We have no issues calving but we have stayed the course as far as balance over all traits, I love my Black Angus. Anytime a single trail is chased it is at the expense of another. As Doc Harris used to say Balance Balance Balance!

Gizmom

Glad to see Dic getting a shout out.

W.B. said:
NEFarmwife said:
Stocker Steve said:
I also prefer red angus bred heifers over black for a cow/calf operation.

At a sale last night, I was speaking with a gentleman who said the reason he moved to reds was because of the maternal aspect. Said calving them is a breeve in comparison to black. I found that interesting.

We have a red fall herd but I love my blacks!

I assume he was referencing disposition at calving and working around them after they calved. The difference in the Angus breed in the best and the worst is vast. The good ones are there and well the bad ones are bad enough to find a different breed. In the end you get what you select for. Putting up with crazy cows is silly and in the end will likely get someone seriously hurt or worse. Other breeds have them as well but Angus take the blame for anything that is black hided. I grew up around Herefords and yes even Herefords have man eaters in the gene pool. It simply has to be culled from the population if you are barn calving cows in cold weather.

Not disposition, calving ease and mothering ability. He said he's never had to pull one and discussed dystocia being significantly better also.

Disposition is not a problem in either of our herds. If I ever get ran up a gate, it's going to be a foreigner.

gizmom said:
NEFarmwife

I think the carcass chase has had a negative impact on Black Angus. To clarify the breeders that were chasing single traitshave had a negative impact. We have no issues calving but we have stayed the course as far as balance over all traits, I love my Black Angus. Anytime a single trail is chased it is at the expense of another. As Doc Harris used to say Balance Balance Balance!

Gizmom

Balance was why we struck the convo on mothering. He came over to congratulate me on one of my heifer purchases last night. (Renown daughter/N Bar Emulation granddaughter) He recognized her value.

I'm just wrapping my head around what I'm going to breed her too. Love this life!

NEFarmwife said:
W.B. said:
NEFarmwife said:
At a sale last night, I was speaking with a gentleman who said the reason he moved to reds was because of the maternal aspect. Said calving them is a breeve in comparison to black. I found that interesting.

We have a red fall herd but I love my blacks!

I assume he was referencing disposition at calving and working around them after they calved. The difference in the Angus breed in the best and the worst is vast. The good ones are there and well the bad ones are bad enough to find a different breed. In the end you get what you select for. Putting up with crazy cows is silly and in the end will likely get someone seriously hurt or worse. Other breeds have them as well but Angus take the blame for anything that is black hided. I grew up around Herefords and yes even Herefords have man eaters in the gene pool. It simply has to be culled from the population if you are barn calving cows in cold weather.

Not disposition, calving ease and mothering ability. He said he's never had to pull one and discussed dystocia being significantly better also.

Disposition is not a problem in either of our herds. If I ever get ran up a gate, it's going to be a foreigner.
I would consider those two traits pretty steadfast within the Angus population so I guess it boils down to personal preferences. I haven't seen many Red Angus that make me want to switch colors.

Would think that So.Dakota would have a good numbers of quality reds..was member on here that raised some of the best..Bryan Gill I think his name is..

The sale we were at last night also had a small number of reds also. We thought those bulls sold better than the blacks and we also felt they looked better.

Our reds (fall herd) are the worst set out cows we have for ww but now that we're breeding them black, they're improving. The mothers are good though and it takes very little effort on our part to calve them out. I don't like our reds like I do our blacks but the reds haven't been around as long.

I do see the red hide color as an advantage in heat. Not a problem here at the moment as I think we set some records with our low last night.