Angus DNA

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
Wonder if Red and Black have the same make up DNA wise if they were doing a test to see what the breed origin of a Carcass was?

Curious as to how exact their carcass types are, if all things such as feed, environment phenotype were equal.

Surprised no info on this.

Was wondering if you took all the variables out of the equation would say a Red Angus X Hereford carcass have all the same traits of a Black Angus x Hereford.

Curious in the differences that would result carcass wise in a Red baldy and a black baldy.

Amazing you should ask this today. The Bovigen rep for my area visited here this morning and I asked "Could they tell the breed by DNA" and was told NO. They would love to find and are looking for the specific markers identifying breed but haven't found them/it yet. I doubt certain breeds want it to be found. Black limo, simie, gelv, etc would hate not being able to pass as angus.

aplusmnt":1o0onrvh said:
Surprised no info on this.

Was wondering if you took all the variables out of the equation would say a Red Angus X Hereford carcass have all the same traits of a Black Angus x Hereford.

Curious in the differences that would result carcass wise in a Red baldy and a black baldy.

I doubt there would be any difference.

Words to live by:

THERE ARE GREATER DIFFERENCES BETWEEN ANIMALS OF THE SAME BREED AS THERE ARE BETWEEN GOOD ANIMALS OF DIFFERENT BREEDS!

If you have any questions regarding the efficacy of the above statement, refer to your knowledge and understanding of EPD's and Phenotype.

DOC HARRIS

P.S. By the way, Lee Leachman's show "N0BetterBull" is having Dr. Mark Enns, a beef cattle geneticist from Colorado State University, on the show this Thursday night, 4-26-07 at 8:00 PM Mountain time.

It is on DVAuction and you can get the details from Lee at [email protected].

DOC

DOC HARRIS":14i1h7xl said:
Words to live by:

THERE ARE GREATER DIFFERENCES BETWEEN ANIMALS OF THE SAME BREED AS THERE ARE BETWEEN GOOD ANIMALS OF DIFFERENT BREEDS!

DOC

Do you honestly think you'll ever find a Limousin that will milk as well as a Jersey? Or a Longhron that will grade as well as a Waygu?

Frankie":104xd9tv said:
DOC HARRIS":104xd9tv said:
Words to live by:

DOC

Do you honestly think you'll ever find a Limousin that will milk as well as a Jersey? Or a Longhron that will grade as well as a Waygu?

There's a Char that went 12% on IMF. :lol:

I think you have it backwards swisher. Angus doesn't want to lose the quality blacks from other breeds. From what i have heard from the University up here they are working on finding markers to distinguish each breed and are getting close to genotyping individual breeds. The same guys who started the tendeness marker research cap and calp. A DNA sample is required to register calves, if angus breeders really wanted to sell angus beef why not DNA all commercial bulls and match calves for CAB? I have heard the too expensive excuse. Come up with a better one. Oh yeah i am sure some angus guy won't want to talk and will be offended that anyone could say anything not positive about angus. I am not trying to start a breed war about which is best, all i am saying is every breed has it's flaws even angus granted they have done a good job marketing but for me it ends here.

Red Angus tastes wayy better because years ago the black Angus guys would only butcher the odd red calf that showed up. Seriously though we sell on a carcass grid and haven't seen any pattern that would suggest that either red or black is better than the other. I have a major problem with the Canadian Angus tags-If I breed hereford cows to Angus I can tag the calves with an angus tags but if I breed my grade purebred Angus cows Hereford I can't-I don't support their little breed fund raiser and it hasn't cost me anything on the grid yet.

Latest posts