Angus, DNA for sire?

Help Support CattleToday:

Dee

Reaction score
I had a calf that I am unsure of the sire on. AI'd the cow, 2 weeks later put a bull in, SAW her get bred, 30 days later let her run with the commercial cows, and 3 bulls. She just calved.......so 3 possible sires. I looked on the angus web site, but didn't find any info on parent testing. Anyone know how, who to contact, where to look? Thanks!

Dee":3mhllhnv said:
I had a calf that I am unsure of the sire on. AI'd the cow, 2 weeks later put a bull in, SAW her get bred, 30 days later let her run with the commercial cows, and 3 bulls. She just calved.......so 3 possible sires. I looked on the angus web site, but didn't find any info on parent testing. Anyone know how, who to contact, where to look? Thanks!

Yep-- you can get blood cards from the AAA and get a blood sample on it from the calf and send into MMI Genomics with the Multi Offspring Form and they will try and verify parentage thru DNA....It will only work if all 3 potential sires have DNA already on file...If not you will need samples from them to match toward your calf sample....
It costs $18 per test....

Heres a good angus journal article on DNA parentage verification:

http://www.angusjournal.com/articlePDF/ ... erange.pdf

Ditto above comments. If all suspected sires are AI bulls the AAA will have DNA on them. All you will need to do is enclose the reg #s of each suspect with the DNA card. If only two have DNA on file then you play the rule out game. If only one of the sires has DNA on file then youll have to get blood on at least one of the other suspects, do a DNA test on him. Then once again play the rule out game. Hope that adds a bit of info for your quest.

Dee":2fnm3yc7 said:

MMI Genomics

http://www.metamorphixinc.com/about6.html

Just pull some hair out of the switch. They need 10-20 with the root ball still attached. Just to be safe I always send about 30. If they have the parents on file then they can dna type this calf with the hair sample. Hair is much easier to get so you dont have to take blood from em.

cowman30":dhjjr2mt said:
Dee":dhjjr2mt said:

MMI Genomics

Just pull some hair out of the switch. They need 10-20 with the root ball still attached. Just to be safe I always send about 30. If they have the parents on file then they can dna type this calf with the hair sample. Hair is much easier to get so you dont have to take blood from em.

My understanding is that they charge more for testing hair/tissue samples...$25 in comparison to $18 for blood...

Oldtimer":2scahy67 said:
cowman30":2scahy67 said:
Dee":2scahy67 said:

MMI Genomics

My understanding is that they charge more for testing hair/tissue samples...$25 in comparison to $18 for blood...

They do however, when doing the blood test you got to prick the ear and put the little fta card right dead center on there and hold it on the ear. Hard to do when the cow/bull is in the head gate and throwing their head back and forth and butting you in the chest all the while. Then you got to wait for the blood to dry etc. I just pull hairs out of the tail. Drop em in a plain envelope. Put the paper work and plain envelope in a bubble mailer and drop it in the mail and Im done.

cowman30":16iheoq5 said:
Oldtimer":16iheoq5 said:
cowman30":16iheoq5 said:
MMI Genomics

They do however, when doing the blood test you got to prick the ear and put the little fta card right dead center on there and hold it on the ear. Hard to do when the cow/bull is in the head gate and throwing their head back and forth and butting you in the chest all the while. Then you got to wait for the blood to dry etc. I just pull hairs out of the tail. Drop em in a plain envelope. Put the paper work and plain envelope in a bubble mailer and drop it in the mail and Im done.

Yep-- I agree it definitely could be easier...I hate messing with those blood cards...

Thanks for posting the link for me. Hair test is $7 more, but hair sample will be so much easier since all but the calf are halter broke. It will be good to have it on file incase I do something stupid again!

Latest posts