Angus cow with skin condition - warts

Help Support CattleToday:

chester1977

Reaction score
I have a 4 year old angus cow that has always been the thinnest in my small herd. When she was young she had some warts, and when I inquired with the Vet, he said they would go away with time, and to not do anything about them. They are persistant.

Now the cows skin condition is getting a little worse and I am disappointed that I didn't take more action.

The Cow has given me 2 quality calves and is to calve again in the next 20 days.

It is hot here (Va) and the flies are working her over pretty hard.

Is there anything that you would do immediatly? Should I wait to treat until after the calf is born?

The warts are no big deal unless she is covered with them, especially in areas that she needs to calve from or the calf eat from. For flys, get one of the permethrin spray products, mix with diesel if possible and spray her. You ight also want to get one of the pour on fly products, we use Boss or UltraBoss and pour her. That should start to work quicker then the permethrin spray.

The only problem with the fly sprays and diesal Is if she has irritation with breaks in the skin. It may burn. Is this to the point that she has rubbed them and made sores?
Can you post pictures!

Latest posts