Angus Cow Makers

Help Support CattleToday:

i really though hard about a predestined son last year, but bought a hereford insted. but would love to have seen the daughters out of him.

Dylan Biggs":36i4arw2 said:
Does it strike anyone else as odd that the Angus breed is in a position of having to identify specific bulls in the breed as "cow makers"? I may be suffering from some nostalgic notions, but was there not a time when virtually all Angus were "cow makers"? I guess that is the reward, or the cost, depending on your perspective of the "jack of all" breeding pursuit that the Angus breed has essentially embraced the last 25 years. It is virtually impossible for one breed to be the master of all traits and functions simutaneously. And so the question of cow maker or not is the inevitable result of a breeding pursuit that assumed the breed could keep maternal excellence and at the same time compete with the continental breeds on growth, ribeye, less fat, more marbling, etc, etc, and keep calving ease. So, good, bad or indifferent, the question acknowledges the functional traditional breed distinguishing sacrifice.

This is the result of all the crossbreeding with continentals done 25 years ago that came out black and were called purebred, registered Angus on paper.

ohiosteve":1bbfub0v said:
Dylan and OT, I haven't got a fraction of the knowledge of you guys but I've also had some questions about all the single trait selections and it's affect on the overall survivability of a breed if they were left to fend for themselves. It almost seems breeds are getting their natural instincts bred out of them. I'm sure I'll get ridiculed for this post but I'm not one to follow the crowd. Just like running a Longhorn bull on some first calf heifers I have. Can't get much more nostalgic than a Longhorn right?

ohiosteve, no reason for you to get ridiculed.....It is what it is. I'm one to not follow the crowd either. :cowboy:

gizmom":210o2xg6 said:
Select Sires has a bull out of the Donna cow family that should make keepers. Coleman Regis 904 this is a super cow family. http://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPedD...iGctTlYiq31sxqdAxnRRoFRa4vlCEF7Bc9iD7YLPWQQ==

How much consistency do you have as far as frame size using both 878 and EXT?

Gizmom

The EXT's are pretty darn consistent frame-wise and they are fertile cows with great udders (something I'm kinda fussy about). 878 has seen more limited use, but i like what I see so far and he must have done something right with all the pathfinders in his pedigree, although that in itself is not why I chose to use him.
I have used Retail Product but he just doesn't "click" with my cows.

Alliance 6595, Objective 3J15 and LT Bando 9074. Was out at the LT Ranch 2 years ago and Brent said if he had to pick one bull it would be 9074. Every daughter I seen was awesome.

I had a Objective x 6595 bull around that I collected before I sold him after seeing how the daughters were coming along and I'm not a huge fan of PB Angus momma cows but on them heifers next year I am going to come back with LT Bando 9074 just to keep a few PB around after seeing them cows at LT.

I have one cow that I breed to 6595 just about every time I AI her have three of her 6595 daughters in production and like them all. she had one bull out of that mating that was a nice sucker as well so I would have to say I am a fan of 6595. I pulled up my breeding worksheet and she is getting another straw of 6595 this year lol. This mating just gives me those deep soggy females that are fertile and they raise good calves that is what it is all about.

gizmom":awj4yg8t said:
I have one cow that I breed to 6595 just about every time I AI her have three of her 6595 daughters in production and like them all. she had one bull out of that mating that was a nice sucker as well so I would have to say I am a fan of 6595. I pulled up my breeding worksheet and she is getting another straw of 6595 this year lol. This mating just gives me those deep soggy females that are fertile and they raise good calves that is what it is all about.
same here......... :cowboy:

I would use a RITO 6I6 son. Great dispositions & have really good maternal traits. Lots of length & rib! Jst my 2 cents :2cents:.

TSR":358bdtme said:
A lot would depend on the genotype/phenotype of each cow and her weaknesses. I always try to match my cows' weaknesses to a particular bull's strengths. So far I have liked 878. Some others I have used and liked Alberda Traveler 416 and EXT or one of his sons.

I may have read this wrong but how does one acchieve consistancy if AI breeding a cow herd to several different sires?

It would seem that an age group of 1/2 sisters bred to one sire would bring a herd to that acchievement faster. Our commercial herd is bred under a multi-sire, range breeding program that is difficult to change, therefore we use bulls of a like phenotype and bloodlines that have proven themselves as easy keeping fertile cattle. We strive to create heifers that will make cows and let the steers take care of themselves. (which they do)

I have about 25 daughter that I retained myself out of Lead On and I love them. They are all easy keepers and breed back every time. Their mothers were connection daughters, and so they are 1/4 connection and 1/2 Lead On. It has been a great cross for me.

gcreekrch":3997vvoe said:
TSR":3997vvoe said:
A lot would depend on the genotype/phenotype of each cow and her weaknesses. I always try to match my cows' weaknesses to a particular bull's strengths. So far I have liked 878. Some others I have used and liked Alberda Traveler 416 and EXT or one of his sons.

I may have read this wrong but how does one acchieve consistancy if AI breeding a cow herd to several different sires?

It would seem that an age group of 1/2 sisters bred to one sire would bring a herd to that acchievement faster. Our commercial herd is bred under a multi-sire, range breeding program that is difficult to change, therefore we use bulls of a like phenotype and bloodlines that have proven themselves as easy keeping fertile cattle. We strive to create heifers that will make cows and let the steers take care of themselves. (which they do)
I believe and this is my opinion but if you individually mate your cows to their strengths and weaknesses you will get uniformity alot faster than using one bull across your whole herd. Just simple things like mate the big cow to the smaller of the bulls and vice versa. Calf crop will really start to come into one......works for me.

I haven't seen 24J mentioned here.
I'm really still quiet green but I have 4 generations of females from a 24J son and they are breeding better than their mothers. They milk well, they do well, they are put together right and the steers have impressed my butcher.
The steers are thick and fast growing and have averaged almost 1000 lbs off grass at 11-13 months of age.
He was a moderate bull and he to be a moderator.
I have also seen AI daughters of 24J and they really are fantastic cows.

robert":1h3vgng2 said:
this is the best cowmaker we've ever used 14593650, of course I'm biased because we bred and owned the bull. http://tullyfergus.com/herd-bull-alley.htm there's a pic of the bull taken a year ago, he's still around but haven't gotten any snaps of him this year.

Those Right Time cattle not only are good cow makers but in this country they PAP and that's the gold standard.

3waycross":nhyeqfxb said:
robert":nhyeqfxb said:
this is the best cowmaker we've ever used 14593650, of course I'm biased because we bred and owned the bull. http://tullyfergus.com/herd-bull-alley.htm there's a pic of the bull taken a year ago, he's still around but haven't gotten any snaps of him this year.

Those Right Time cattle not only are good cow makers but in this country they PAP and that's the gold standard.

the downside to our bull is that he's out of a 6807 daughter and they are kinda notorious for not pap'ing well. Then again at about 500ft above sea level 'altitude' is not an issue. :)

Old_man_emu":12fv3r4l said:
Excuse my ingnorance, but what is PAP or PAP'ing??

IT is a test to find out if cattle will work in high altitude. Or so I have heard.

Latest posts