Angus Cow I am thinking of buying

Help Support CattleToday:

3waycross

Reaction score
I am thinking about buying this cow, she is 6 yrs old and on paper a good one. I would appreciate some input from some of the Angus breeders (and others) here. The only downside for me is she probably tips the scales at around 1600lbs or more. BTW I think I can get her for right at $1,000.

DSCF0027_edited.jpg

3waycross":1ndcsyg4 said:
I am thinking about buying this cow, she is 6 yrs old and on paper a good one. I would appreciate some input from some of the Angus breeders (and others) here. The only downside for me is she probably tips the scales at around 1600lbs or more. BTW I think I can get her for right at $1,000.

DSCF0027_edited.jpg
dont look like there much air between the ground and her,, great looking udder. over all nice cow

I wouldn't have a problem getting her. Just because she 1600 doesn't mean that she'll throw monster calves - the bull you use will moderate this. I might be inclined to use her size as a bargaining point, though, to make the price a little nicer. Why is she being sold?

cypressfarms":1g7g8va6 said:
I wouldn't have a problem getting her. Just because she 1600 doesn't mean that she'll throw monster calves - the bull you use will moderate this. I might be inclined to use her size as a bargaining point, though, to make the price a little nicer. Why is she being sold?

Fella decided he didn't want to be in the Registered business after all. BTW you're right she is bred to my LCC New standard bull and he is more moderate. The resulting offspring will be mildly linebred to BonView New Design 1407, as the cow and my bull are both his grandchildren.

I was going to ask if she's bred, she is that's good. This is the way to make money in the cattle business. Good udder, proven good mother.
She would bring $900 for kill. Only bad luck would make you a bad deal.
When is the calving date? I assume Spring. The drawback as you know is the feed.
Still a better buy IMO then paying $1200 for a Heifer.

I'd snap her up before he changes his mind....especially if she's bred. At 1600 lbs. you can almost recoup your money if you had to pack her. She may be 6 years old but looks much younger.

mnmtranching":3gukiifh said:
I was going to ask if she's bred, she is that's good. This is the way to make money in the cattle business. Good udder, proven good mother.
When is the calving date? I assume Spring. The drawback as you know is the feed.

she's bred to calve in March. Wish it was earlier. You are right she is worth almost that much for salvage.

As big as she is and bred to a not so great birthweight GV bull this year she threw a 82 lb bull calf.

3waycross":1as6x376 said:
mnmtranching":1as6x376 said:

she's bred to calve in March. Wish it was earlier. You are right she is worth almost that much for salvage.

As big as she is and bred to a not so great birthweight GV bull this year she threw a 82 lb bull calf.

Make the deal and put her in the front pasture by the highway. :cowboy:

I don't think there is any way you can lose money on this deal at $1000. I don't know that I would want to build a whole program around that cow (too big for my tastes); but I can't see any reason not to do this deal.

what kind of a cow is she 'off the paper'? Easy keeping, fertile, good disposition, excellent mother then she is a no brainer, but if any of the four are missing . . .

capt":1vaes92n said:
what kind of a cow is she 'off the paper'? Easy keeping, fertile, good disposition, excellent mother then she is a no brainer, but if any of the four are missing . . .

3 out of 4 ain't bad. She's just a little high headed. Let me tag her calf at one hour old but I didn't get a real deep seat if you know what I mean.

Here's her calf. Born in April.

DSCF0050_edited.jpg

If she were red, I'd be very jealous. She's bred, proven, nicely built, and not old. It would be fantastic to get her for less than $1,000 but it's still a reasonable price and she should pay for herself easily. Congratulations if you get her.

Oh Vic!

Vic - Vic - Vic! You are really putting it to me, aren't you? This cow is forcing me to really examine my principles regarding "edging upward" from adhering strictly to maintaining an AVERAGE of no more than 1300# mature cow weight! U-u-u-g-g-g-h-h-h! Moan and groan. I agree with the majority of the contributors on this post because she gets my votes on almost every factor present - EXCEPT - she is TOO BIG to blend into your herd average for reducing cow size.

Now - we are faced with the conundrum of "hewing to the line" and refusing to buy her for that reason,- OR - are we going to relent, go against our stubborn insistance on NEVER breaking our rules of keeping 'cow size' moderate - so as to not allow our average 'herd weight' to sli-i-i-i-de upward? OR - are we going to give ALL of the factors pertaining to intelligent, practical, knowledgeable, and sensible Beef Cattle production due consideration, and bite the bullet, and buy that cow before somebody else does and have THEM get the benefits that will result with smart management technics?

Vic - my suggestion to you is, after taking all of the facts and considerations into account - - BUY the cow - NOW!! There are times when rationalization is the option to select, rather than stubborn resistance to the point that you cut off your nose to spite your face!

Now, we can explore different options insofar as mating selections are concerned - Angus x Gelbvieh - Gelbvieh x Angus, or even the choice of a--

- - -3 waycross!

DOC HARRIS

Assuming she's not very high headed, the name of this post should've been "Angus Cow I Just Bought"

EC

Latest posts