Angus/Char. Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Calves should grow real good. Angus should add good mothering. Char. temperment maybe questionable.

I've got a few silver cows like that in my herd and they've been dandy. Easy keeping, vigorous and wonderful mothers. Like anything however, there's always the chance you may get a dud, but they've worked really well overall for me. One of them was a little snuffy when calving, but we've reached an understanding... she can blow and paw all she wants as long as she keeps ten feet from me. No problem now.

Take care.

CopeMan":3v9y36x1 said:
Are the smokey colored Angus/Char good cows to add to a herd?
yes i raise smokeys and some more people around my place rasie them also
:D

It would be interesting to see how they grade out. I've read research out of Japan that says Char's have the worst marbling characteristics. Specifically the lipid starts out low and late and actually stop completely at around 20 months age. Angus "can" have the most lipid though if feed out right, and actually "can" never stop producing lipids. The "can" issue depends on the feeding program.

the only problem with angus and charlois cross is the rattails you get!! around here the only thing they sell better than is herefords

YES THEY MAKE GREAT BROOD COWS, AND FROM THE LOOKS OF THE BULL THE DUDE FROM OK HAS HE COULD USE ANY HELP HE CAN GET.

I have one in my cross herd and love her. She is not a large cow and raises an excellent calf. Dispostion could be a little better, but she is more timid than wild. They do good at our local sales. I am breeding her to an angus bull. Got a neighbor that has several and he loves them.

CopeMan":2w5ynvvm said:
These are Terminal cattle - if you are just starting - you would be better to get some black baldies or straight black cows. then breed them to a charolais bull if you want those smokies- Sell everything -including the heifers.

There just fine just a little wolfy sometimes I have had alot of them. As for rattails just be sure there is no simmy in them and breed them black or red angus.

marktingle":2hsm4536 said:
YES THEY MAKE GREAT BROOD COWS, AND FROM THE LOOKS OF THE BULL THE DUDE FROM OK HAS HE COULD USE ANY HELP HE CAN GET.

Is that a bull??
I thought it was a fat goat!!

Hillbilly

dcara":1jzsssg2 said:
It would be interesting to see how they grade out. I've read research out of Japan that says Char's have the worst marbling characteristics. Specifically the lipid starts out low and late and actually stop completely at around 20 months age. Angus "can" have the most lipid though if feed out right, and actually "can" never stop producing lipids. The "can" issue depends on the feeding program.

Do you retain ownership of your calves or do you sell at the local sellbarn??

Larry Sansom":13g4adts said:
CopeMan":13g4adts said:
These are Terminal cattle - if you are just starting - you would be better to get some black baldies or straight black cows. then breed them to a charolais bull if you want those smokies- Sell everything -including the heifers.

Wouldn't a Charolais bull create difficulties on black cows? Assuming the black cows were dominantly angus.

It's common for birthweights on good Char bulls to be in the 80's even high 70's now days, they have been breeding that direction for a couple of decades now.
I still have never owned one...Yet.

Hillbilly[/u]

[

My bull is Char Red Angus and I just adore him he's sweet tame. He's got better manners than my Holstein.

Latest posts