Angus Bulls which to use

Help Support CattleToday:

Loch Valley Fold

Reaction score
Ok I've been thinking of breeding some of my Angus x Jersey cows back to Angus again for their next calf. I'm not too fussed on most of the Aussie Angus bulls that are available & most of the time have kept coming back to the following bulls. Thoughts & info (good or bad) will be taken into consideration when choosing.
Bonview New Design
GAR Predestined
GAR Solution
GAR Yield Grade
B/R New Design
LCC Above & Beyond 1300J
LT 598 Bando 9074
SAV Final Answer
SAV Net Worth
Hyline Right Time 338

Solution is AMC
Only 2 bulls on that list I'd even consider are Bando 9074 (hoping he is free of FCS) and Right Time 338 (not on heifers though). 9074 and 338 both make really solid females that have some eye appeal and udder quality.

You have written ten names here, some of which are specific bulls, and some of which are just prefixes of bulls' names. Nevertheless, the same selection protocols apply when "Bull Selection" methods are incorporated into your business.

The first procedure on the agenda should be - "What am I attempting to achieve by the selection of ANY bull (or bulls) which I determine I wish to utilize? Am I selecting for Terminal Genetics, or Maternal Genetics? What are the Phenotypic characteristics of my COW herd that I wish to enhance? - - or change? What is the most I can expect from a mating of ANY Angus Bull bred to a herd of half Jersey cows?"

When you have decided on the direction you wish to proceed, THEN you can compare your cow genetics with those of the Angus (or any other breed) Bulls' genetics, and have some idea of what to expect from the matings. But to just name a collection of bulls' names of a particular breed without any goal, destination, objective or specific end in view is a waste of your time, and not really achieving the well-thought-out long time program that is necessary for ultimate success in the business.

...Unless you are looking for income through selling weaned calves from your Jersey Milk cow herd. If that is the case, stress Calving Ease, REA, and WW EPD's in the Angus bull that you seek. The Jersey side of the mating will take care of Marbling characteristcs.

DOC HARRIS

9074 has made some nice baldies on my place. I then use N Bar Prime Time on those and then go back and put a Hereford on those females.

Like Doc said it does depend what your final goal is before you can pick the correct sire to use.

Jeff

Ok thanks for the replies at this stage I'm looking for "maternal might" while keeping frame size around 6 easy calving above average milk, while still being pleasing to look at, udders are important as are feet & legs if I left them in the milking herd they will need to be able to walk several kilometers a day, a good (great) temperament is also high on my list don't want any that are high headed or highly strung.
The cows that I'm going to ai are 1st & 2nd generation Angus if I could access the photos I would post some pics of the cows so for you all to see :? .

I would check there AM status on the american angus website and cross off any carriers first. Then go to the Australian angus website and lookup fawn calf syndrome and the bulls are implicated and remove any sons from those bulls at the present time.

I take it you are a grass based dairy so you are adding some beef genetics-As far as adding some muscle-eye appeal and saleability to your Jersey X calves-I'd sat Net Worth would work as well as any bull. As far as keeping females from him there are some foot issues with the bull.

"Why would you want to milk an angus over a dairy breed?
I've seen first hand how well purebred "everyday" Angus milk & what I like most is the 3/4 Angus x 1/4 dairy. By choosing angus bulls with high milk should give daughters that will milk on grass pasture & still produce the kg butterfat & protein that we get paid for.

Latest posts