angus bulls , thickness , with frame

Help Support CattleToday:

my grand dad raised them all his life , he said you can shorten them up alot faster than you can make them taller . I appreciate your input in the conversation . I have not heard anyone mention the SAV bulls being even somewhat tall.I do like thier thickness. I have a SITZ Upward 307r son that is a beast , he is a LimFlex. I would be tempted to use him on my straight angus cows. anyway , thanks again

polledbull":487bkdvd said:
alacowman , im not sure I even want to try to answer your loaded question , I have bred cattle for 30 years , and over time they will moderate if you dont keep a check on frame size , the industry has moved that way, and i was in a meeting just the other day sponsored by by a large feeder calf buying co. and a angus rep there talked alot about the top reason for dockage in feeder cattle was being short cattle, I dont want my cattle extreme ,I just dont want to order semen off bulls to find out they are a mature frame off a 5 or a 54 in mature bull,

We get docked bad for short calves here and even some of the moderate takes a hit. I have told a well known breeder that I will buy the first good 7 frame bull he produces that also has lots of muscle. He says he has one for his spring sale. It may cost me but I will keep my word.

it is hard to find a 60 inch angus bull any more ,good luck , I plan to mate my angus herd in a way as to keep them pretty big , and stout, as I sell Limis too, and they are always pretty easy to sell . the angus bulls have there work cut out for them .I have sent a few bulls into VA in the last few years .

kenny thomas":a3kpdqdy said:
polledbull":a3kpdqdy said:
alacowman , im not sure I even want to try to answer your loaded question , I have bred cattle for 30 years , and over time they will moderate if you dont keep a check on frame size , the industry has moved that way, and i was in a meeting just the other day sponsored by by a large feeder calf buying co. and a angus rep there talked alot about the top reason for dockage in feeder cattle was being short cattle, I dont want my cattle extreme ,I just dont want to order semen off bulls to find out they are a mature frame off a 5 or a 54 in mature bull,

We get docked bad for short calves here and even some of the moderate takes a hit. I have told a well known breeder that I will buy the first good 7 frame bull he produces that also has lots of muscle. He says he has one for his spring sale. It may cost me but I will keep my word.
I have been scolded several times and lost my commission a time or two for buying some smaller framed cattle on some on some stocker orders. They were short stocky calves probably frame 4 types. The man I buy for grazes the cattle until they weigh 750 to 900. He then sell them to feedlots who prefer cattle that have some frame and that will finish in the 1300 to 1400 lb range.

Glad to see some Angus folks see the light and get away from the toads.

I read an article in the Angus Journal (I think that was the magazine), they said Angus have the genetics for both tall and short animals. The southern climates bring out the tall animals and the northern climates bring out the short animals. I guess that makes sense as short is easier to retain body heat and tall would be easier to expel body heat. Hmmmm
Blessings
Valerie

Latest posts