Angus Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

CopeMan

Reaction score
At the farm where I keep my heifer, her sire , the herd bull, he is a 4-year old Black Angus, he is a smaller stature bull . I am about 5'11 and the top of his back comes to right around the naval area on me. My main concern is, could he possibly be a Lowline, or are Lowlines smaller than that, or are there just some smaller statured purebred angus bulls like him?

A lowline would go to your waste. He was probably stunted or is just from a small background and is geneticly that way.

Anonymous":aw6bq2r4 said:
how old do angus live to

Depends. A steer calf should be beef by the time he is 12-15 months old. On the other hand I have an 11 year old cow with a three week old calf that's already cycling. She still has her teeth, so she'll stay around longer. Management of cattle (any breed) will influence how long they live. Most commercial cattle are culled when they lose their teeth and can't maintain themselves by grazing. I hope this helped?

Anonymous":2u99uxpu said:
how old do angus live to

I've seen purebred angus ranch's that had cows 17 and 18 still producing. I've had a few that I kept until they were 13. A lot depends on the range they are run on- weather variables and nutrition.

Well anyway does anyone else have any more answers for my question or are we going to start another discussion on my post which is no where relevant to what I asked. You know,It seems to me that their are alot of "Post Leaches"on here. They post some ridiculous reply on someone elses Topic and start their own Topics. For example No one has answered my post about small Angus Bulls except for Jake, and I appreciate that. But here comes GUEST, and everything gets turned around , they decide to steal my topic by asking a question no where near what my question was about. And then, everyone starts answering their question. I dont know what it is? Maybe theyre to ignorant or to lazy to start theyre own NEW TOPIC. But I sure think its rude to come on to someone elses post and mutalate it by asking a question that had nothing to do with the post.

Easy there Copeman! I'm not the Guest that stole your topic and I'm not an Angus or Lowline raiser although I've owned a couple of Angus bulls, but for what little it's worth (and no offense intended): If your Angus bull is 4 years old and the top of his back comes to about navel level on a man that's 5 feet 11 inches tall it seems to me that you must have about the world's shortest "regular" Angus bull --- I'd just guess that it must be a lowline or a "regular" that got SEVERELY stunted. He probably would have been considered very short way back there before the movement to increase Angus frame size. Either way, he'sprobably not something you want breeding your herd unless you want to venture into lowlines. Arnold Ziffle

No individual has proprietary claim of any particular subject. At times, one question will spawn thoughts that just readily get stuck in to another subjects posts.
BTW, that is my main complaint about the new format, you can't follow any one thread. So be it.

dun

CopeMan":l36sza1l said:
Well anyway does anyone else have any more answers for my question or are we going to start another discussion on my post which is no where relevant to what I asked. You know,It seems to me that their are alot of "Post Leaches"on here. They post some ridiculous reply on someone elses Topic and start their own Topics. For example No one has answered my post about small Angus Bulls except for Jake, and I appreciate that. But here comes GUEST, and everything gets turned around , they decide to steal my topic by asking a question no where near what my question was about. And then, everyone starts answering their question. I dont know what it is? Maybe theyre to ignorant or to lazy to start theyre own NEW TOPIC. But I sure think its rude to come on to someone elses post and mutalate it by asking a question that had nothing to do with the post.

Thank you Arnold, I appreciate your post, and you did not offend me about the bull. He is short, I may have exaggerated on the height of the bull a little, hes over the naval (abdominal area) hes somewhere around the bottom of your ribs, if thats even much of a difference? I know that Angus from the past used to be shorter. Could he possibly just be a smaller Angus such as these. I mean I guess I shouldnt over exaggerate on his height, because hes not that short, hes just a little smaller than what you see now a days. Your right maybe he was stunted, or hes just a smaller bull. How can a bull become stunted? Thanks for your post Arnold.

dun":3vjak7i1 said:
No individual has proprietary claim of any particular subject. At times, one question will spawn thoughts that just readily get stuck in to another subjects posts.
BTW, that is my main complaint about the new format, you can't follow any one thread. So be it.

I agree with dun, its not that big of a deal, but it is frustrating when you need some serious info, and your question is getting ignored beacause of anothers thoughts. And NO I am not related to Ellie Mae, Sam. I dont want to offend anybody or start anything, because I enjoy the comrodery of everyone on here. And you can get some really good info on here. And Im not going to say anything smart ellic or cruel toward you because you'll probably help me with a question sometime and It will probably be very helpful. Or anybody else at that matter. Im not going to be cruel directly toward someone.

that is annoying isnt it?

a bull can be stunted for a number or reasons. early on they can be stunted from lack of milk (think runt calves out of an old cow), other nutritional deficiencies (not enough feed, lack of minerals), breeding too soon or a combination of these. i'm sure there are other reasons too.

Latest posts