Angus bull

Help Support CattleToday:

I like him. Not much 'air space' under him, which I'm told is good to look for in a pasture animal. Kit Pharoh turned out breeding animals like that.
Your reading too many production books. In his area and most of the southeast at least, a short calf is discounted heavily whether selling at the stockyard or private treaty by load lots.
I had a short 6wt heifer calf on some bought cows. I sold her 2 weeks ago and she brought 1.20 less per lb than the same weight calves with some frame. Almost $750 discount on 1 calf.

How are his back feet? Can't really see them in the pics. The first pic he seems maybe overly soft in his rear pasterns, but really need to see him on the move. All the angles from pasterns to stifle to hip need to match up. Otherwise, looks like a decent Angus bull. It's not easy to get big hips on Angus, but width at the pin bones is something to watch for even if they don't have a continental breed butt.

It's a bull from friends, they are getting into registered Angus. $4000
Ouch. Good bulls are pricey tho. That bull I looked at a while back at my neighbors he wanted 3000 at the time.
I think they have him sold for 4500.
And he's not registered. Just a "purebred"

For that kind money, there should be papers etc and tested and ready to turn out!

Ouch. Good bulls are pricey tho. That bull I looked at a while back at my neighbors he wanted 3000 at the time.
I think they have him sold for 4500.
And he's not registered. Just a "purebred"

For that kind money, there should be papers etc and tested and ready to turn out!
Yeah for that kind of money everything needs to be already there.
This bull is registered, dna tested, had a BSE last week.

He seems a decent choice for your cattle, one that will produce calves that suit the market in our area.
Around here the price for 14 to 15 moth old bulls has gone up this year, but not at the rate you would expect given the over all cattle market.

Your reading too many production books. In his area and most of the southeast at least, a short calf is discounted heavily whether selling at the stockyard or private treaty by load lots.
I had a short 6wt heifer calf on some bought cows. I sold her 2 weeks ago and she brought 1.20 less per lb than the same weight calves with some frame. Almost $750 discount on 1 calf.
I see. I don't spend any time in the sale barn but had no idea of that kind of effect on the sale price for a particular animal for the SE. I know, or think I know, red vs black results in $.05-,10 difference per pound. $1.20 I would have never imagined. Yep, get a different bull. I am production focused, but don't get a lot out of books much any more. Most of what I glean is from exposure to it in the field.

The EPD's aren't real impressive, but I've never been impressed with EPD's.
I've been out of the registered Angus circles for a while so not up on the popular genetics.
If he has some older genetics upfront, that may contribute to the low numbers. EPD's aren't kind to the older stuff.

I'd be interested to see his registration number.

I see. I don't spend any time in the sale barn but had no idea of that kind of effect on the sale price for a particular animal for the SE. I know, or think I know, red vs black results in $.05-,10 difference per pound. $1.20 I would have never imagined. Yep, get a different bull. I am production focused, but don't get a lot out of books much any more. Most of what I glean is from exposure to it in the field.
Here red will usually bring .25 to .50 less per pound, not 5-10 cents less. Shorts get really hurt like @kenny thomas posted. We bought back a steer that was graded short, that we disagreed with, and we no saled him at 1.65 when the rest of the group they cut him out of brought 2.73. They were in the 750 wt range. He got sold 2 weeks later in another group of calves that weighed 730 average for 2.68. Couldn't pick him out of that group... THE SAME GRADERS...
But about a month ago, we took some cull cows, and we took a red steer and a total nut case black one, and the red normally would have taken a beating but he was almost as crazy as the black and we wanted them out of the barn... They both weighed in the mid 4's... and they both brought over 3.20 because some guy "needed" to fill a load.

Ok, animal phenotype is not a strong focus of mine, so probably not then. His 'low clearance' reminded me of something that was said when looking at Pharo bulls at one time.
Just guessing I would say that bull is 5.5 frame. I prefer 6-7 frame for a bull, but very hard to find Angus bulls around here that are there. Most will be in the 5-5.5 range.
Just looked up some Pharo bulls the tallest I saw were 4 frame, with most being 3-3.5.
The Hereford bull that we are having to replace was listed as 5.9 frame.
There is a significant dock for red and Hereford calves, but we can sell them at a Hereford influence sale and they do quite a bit better, but we are limited in that there are only 2 of those sales a year.
The small frame stuff just gets docked significantly too.
We have some friends that have the small framed cattle and they describe their sale days as bloodbaths.

Latest posts