Angus Bull Updates?

Help Support CattleToday:

Air gator

Reaction score
Hello All, Just wondering if anyone has fallen in love with their calves out of A.I. Angus bulls? Is there a bull out there that is a herd improver? It looks like Sav Bruiser has done really well production wise for ABS, he is second to Counselor on maternal but only has a +14 Milk epd? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Only have 4 spring calves to show from bruiser (3 heifers, 1 steer). They're all a little short and squat, but are very deep bodied. These are all from heifers and 4 of 8 took the ai.

I have 8 fall calves from him as well, and some spring heifers in calf currently.

Thanks for the photos. They look good. We had over 40 days without rain here up through Thanksgiving so we could have used your water. Thanks for the effort. Any thoughts on Tour of Duty?

Air gator":24eeymph said:
Thanks for the photos. They look good. We had over 40 days without rain here up through Thanksgiving so we could have used your water. Thanks for the effort. Any thoughts on Tour of Duty?
Thought hard about tour of duty, but I just can't get over his poor $E and extremely high milk. I'd just be worried that he'd sire hard doing cows. I think he is a war party son, and I had a war party bull that I really liked.

Ky hills":2w7jiudu said:
Lazy M":2w7jiudu said:
And yes, we're all tired of the mud..

Nice heifers. The mud is sure making it difficult to get hay out, on these hills.
That last pic is the steer, but he does kind of have a heifer look :lol:
I guess I'd rather have the rain than a bunch of snow, but I'm ready for it to dry out a little or the ground to freeze..

I was surprised that Tour of Duty is second for registrations for 2016. I was also surprised to see Barstow Cash in the top 25 because of the expense.

Air gator":1lpev222 said:
I was surprised that Tour of Duty is second for registrations for 2016. I was also surprised to see Barstow Cash in the top 25 because of the expense.
ABS has a couple of Cash sons that look good that I may try in a few years if their numbers hold up. Everything that I've seen from Cash has been impressive

Lazy M":qhmu6sp9 said:
Ky hills":qhmu6sp9 said:
Lazy M":qhmu6sp9 said:
And yes, we're all tired of the mud..

Nice heifers. The mud is sure making it difficult to get hay out, on these hills.
That last pic is the steer, but he does kind of have a heifer look :lol:
I guess I'd rather have the rain than a bunch of snow, but I'm ready for it to dry out a little or the ground to freeze..

Sorry, I didn't pay much attention to the details of the last picture, I really like the first heifer. I agree I would rather have rain than snow.

pdfangus":3m7axonn said:
how much milk EPD can you afford to feed?
Not sure I understand the question, but I like to keep the milk in the 22-28 range with E as close to + as possible.

that is more milk than I want....My ambition is to have cows graze as many days a year as possible and to wean a decent percentage of their body weight at weaning....

I spent some time chasing growth and milk and ended up with huge cows who looked like hell in a fescue envrionment....their sons did well at test and the cows maintained fertility but their calf weaning percentage was nothing to brag about...Oh I could get 600 to 700 lb weanling bulls but out of 1500 and 1600 lb cows...

I have a little Whiteridge Vindicator 2nd calf heifer now that is at least 8 to 10 inches shorter than her mother and probably 500 lbs lighter and she is raising just as nice a calf as her mother...actually better as the mother had a set of small twins this year...

For the last two years I have bred my cows to Wye Bulls...Faxton last year and Alap this year...Just got the Wye news letter yesterday and they have some young bulls that are sons of the great old bulls that I am anxious to try....Have a Faxton heifer that will get registered....And I have not registered anythin in three or four years....

I only have two chisum calves and I'm very happy with both, one heifer and one bull calf, about 9 months old. I've got 4 Investment calves. I couldn't be happier with the bull calf, the three heifers were looking good on pasture but now seem like they've lost some growth momentum. I had 4 Priority calves. Two bull calves were nice, not awesome. One bull calf never did impress much, and one heifer that looks real nice. My SAV calves also are deep but leave you thinking they should have a bit more height to them. Maybe that's a SAV thing, squatty short animals?
I'd use chisum again, probably Priority. I have 10 coming heifers coming with Investment again, if last years heifer calves don't kick it in the rear, I don't know that I'd use him again other then for a fail safe heifer bull/calving ease.

mncowboy":3pzu87c2 said:
I only have two chisum calves and I'm very happy with both, one heifer and one bull calf, about 9 months old. I've got 4 Investment calves. I couldn't be happier with the bull calf, the three heifers were looking good on pasture but now seem like they've lost some growth momentum. I had 4 Priority calves. Two bull calves were nice, not awesome. One bull calf never did impress much, and one heifer that looks real nice. My SAV calves also are deep but leave you thinking they should have a bit more height to them. Maybe that's a SAV thing, squatty short animals?
I'd use chisum again, probably Priority. I have 10 coming heifers coming with Investment again, if last years heifer calves don't kick it in the rear, I don't know that I'd use him again other then for a fail safe heifer bull/calving ease.

Priority Son

Investment son (not a great picture)

Chisum son

Latest posts