Angus bull to pick apart...

Help Support CattleToday:

BRG,
I think everyone is being alittle hard on Dusty because maybe he is a little too proud..

Is it a good bull, heck yeah. Is he for everyone, no. He is carrying a little too much shoulder for me personally. I saw a bull with that much muscle or more at a sale this fall, so is he extreme no, but very nice none the less.

I am personally alittle scared of all the hair he has would love to see a pic this time of year to see if he is slick haired yet.

Wondering if the lack of a registration number is a clue....

Nice bull Dusty just what we are all trying to create.

Sires AAA# is 15240518 920 AAA # will come when I register him this spring.. :)

I hope he turns out to be every thing you want him to be and think he is.

I never said anything about leather. I said sheath. And I said too much for MY LIKING. <---And that's strictly based on THIS ONE PICTURE that I've seen.

Anyway, you titled your thread "Angus bull to pick apart" so I mentioned something I didn't like about him. I could have mentioned a few more things as well. But overall, he's a nice looking bull.

If what you really want is for people to blow sunshine up your arse, perhaps you should title your thread "Please tell me how great my bull is (even though I already know)".

My first impression was the same as lakading, too much sheath. My other impression was that he stole all the feed from the other bulls, there is little doubt in my mind that the bull consumed massive amounts of feed. Question is, is that what your customers are looking for? It isn't what I look for, I'm looking for stock that can do well on minimum input. :cowboy:

RD-Sam":sjw7re4c said:
My first impression was the same as lakading, too much sheath. My other impression was that he stole all the feed from the other bulls, there is little doubt in my mind that the bull consumed massive amounts of feed. Question is, is that what your customers are looking for? It isn't what I look for, I'm looking for stock that can do well on minimum input. :cowboy:
how do you know he wont be, once he get slapped with a dose of reality,, there aint many cattle will turn down a bunk of grain if offered... he!~ even longhorns will wear it out

His Mature weight I am guessing will be in the 2200 -2400lbs range... His sire weighs between 2150 and 2300 coming off of grass.. last year his sire Wide Load ran with 45 head of cows, we lost one sluff in Jan storm, everything else calved in about 40 days... he is already back on grass with 40plus head again...

I didn't stick the bull for frame... estimate would be 6-6.25 at the max... had sons of 004, CAR EFFICIENT, in the same pen as world wide and he was much more moderate then they were...

Awesome thing about the bull, you go back to the 7th generation and the same two cows are represented 13 times in his pedigree... those same two cows are the entire foundation for a herd in Iowa.

I will post some photo's of Maternal sibs to this bull that are born this spring... they are pretty neat... last 2 calf crops by wide load they are the most dominating sire group I have had in 12 years of breeding Angus cattle...

Dusty":358jlhon said:
His Mature weight I am guessing will be in the 2200 -2400lbs range... His sire weighs between 2150 and 2300 coming off of grass.. last year his sire Wide Load ran with 45 head of cows, we lost one sluff in Jan storm, everything else calved in about 40 days... he is already back on grass with 40plus head again...

I didn't stick the bull for frame... estimate would be 6-6.25 at the max... had sons of 004, CAR EFFICIENT, in the same pen as world wide and he was much more moderate then they were...

Awesome thing about the bull, you go back to the 7th generation and the same two cows are represented 13 times in his pedigree... those same two cows are the entire foundation for a herd in Iowa.

I will post some photo's of Maternal sibs to this bull that are born this spring... they are pretty neat... last 2 calf crops by wide load they are the most dominating sire group I have had in 12 years of breeding Angus cattle...

I've seen his sire down at Kabsu and was less than impressed. He was in pretty poor shape when he arrived there and was looking quite a bit better last time I had seen him but still not something I would get excited about.

If you had some othere pictures of Wide Load progeny I woudln't mind seeing them as I was interested in the bull as he came from across the county from me.

RD-Sam":2cqgpn4d said:

First priority for using this bull as a sire for a herd should be: What is the ultimate goal for his use? - Maternal calves (Replacement heifers?) or Terminal calves (Stockers or Feedlot candidates?).

He has:
Terrific Phenotype - :clap:
Calving Ease Direct - Value too low - :cry2:
Calving Ease Maternal - Value too low - :cry2:
Carcass EPD's - W-a-a--y-y too low - :roll:
$Values - Too Low - :(
$EN Value - :help:
Birth Weight (BW) - Too high - :shock:
Milk EPD - slightly above my Guideline - :|

As with ALL mating decisions, the operative selection of a bull for ANY herd must be done with many factors, traits, and characteristics to consider - with PRIMARY considerations given to the cows to whom they will be mated! All other Protocols are secondary.

DOC HARRIS