Angus bull to add muscle part 2

Help Support CattleToday:

George Monk

Reaction score
early we had a good discusion of which bull to use to improve the muscling on a female we were considering flushing. I have since had the opportunity to get some pictures of her, her yearling heifer and 2 yr old bull. The bull is from a Cirlce A Exacto son and the heifer is a Gridmaker daughter.
I thank everyone from the previous thread that offered suggestions and I followed up on many of them. One of the limiting factors that I should mention and that eliminated many of the suggestions is that I am trying to stay away from EXT and QAS 23-4 as their bloodlines are going to be prominent in many of our females if the ET goes as planned.
119_1962.JPG

119_1945.JPG

114_1424.JPG

Do these pictures help? Right now I am considering Connealy Lead-On. Sydgen's Corona 1407(?) has caught my eye also. What is you opinion of these two?

Of the two bulls you listed, I would go with Lead On. Pretty good growth and maternal. I've seen too many 1407 cattle that get to big and lack muscle.

I haven't seen enough Lead On to help you with him, but I have seen plenty of Corona calves.. Corona is not you typical 1407 son as far as phenotype goes. He will add muscle and depth of rib and he will NOT increase size. Dispositions of Corona cattle are very good as well. Good bull I have some semen in the tank on Corona.

BTW the bull in the picture is very good.

PM me if you want more info on Corona.

Cattleman
BC Marathon was discussed and I agree that he does look great but I have concerns about his scrotal because I plan on selling bred heifers. There was a great discussion of the relationship between scrotal size and fertility by the informed people on this board.
George

Lead On will definitely sire some thickness and muscling but the frames are very moderate from what I have raised out of him. Rito 1I2 makes some very attractive structurally sound cattle and the EXT is far enough back that I don't think it will affect the outcome of the progeny.

Rito 1I2 would not be on the north end of any list to add muscle that I know about. This bull has a place, but the ones I have seen tend to be a little flat muscled.

Woodhill Foresight would be an excellent choice to add muscle, carcass, and maternal to the mix. Also, scrotal is excellent on this bull.

Lead On or Corona should also work. I would go with Lead On out of those two FWIW.

Latest posts