Angus Bull Teeth

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":18qy4vok said:
Come on ya'll are kidding about not knowing about loosing teeth. One of the reasons you wait to breed heifers till 14 months.

Till recently I never raised anything but steers for slaughter, never worried about what kinda choppers they had. That's why I read this board. To get edjukated in matters like these ;-)

george

So what does tooth loss have to do with breeding heifers at 14 months? I knew that cows loose there teeth pretty quickly but I guess I've never really looked one's mouth over that close.

My only thought would be that when they're shedding their baby teeth and the next set hasn't completely gorwn in that they might have some problems eating well. I've never seen them loose so many teeth at one time that I could tell a difference. They just seemed to drool more.
The reason we wait to breed them till they're 14-15 months is so they will calve at 24 months. Doesn't have anything to do with teeth.

dun

dun":2sccok1d said:
My only thought would be that when they're shedding their baby teeth and the next set hasn't completely gorwn in that they might have some problems eating well. I've never seen them loose so many teeth at one time that I could tell a difference. They just seemed to drool more.
The reason we wait to breed them till they're 14-15 months is so they will calve at 24 months. Doesn't have anything to do with teeth.

dun

same thing here.. at 2 they loose a pair of teeth that are replaced by permanent teeth, at 3, at 4 and at 5.. dont know about every cow under 5, but i have seen 4 year old cows with the 6 permanent teeth and still 2 baby teeth.

also, some heifers have their first calf before ever getting any permanent teeth...

i am sure there are exceptions to the above, but that is what i have observed.

jt

Latest posts