Angus Bull sick

Help Support CattleToday:

SBowen

Reaction score
I have a 3 1/2 year old Registered Angus Bull, I have owned him for about 1 1/2 years, he was really doing well, been through all the normal preventive stuff, and gets wormed regularly with pour on. About 2-3 weeks ago, I noticed he doesn't seem to be as eager to eat at feeding time. he still grazes. He's starting to drop weight and when he is up at the barn is just stands there and shows no interest in eating. His head isn't all the way down but it is below his shoulders, doesn't show any other kinds of conditions of being sick, ie running nose, coughing etc. We gave him shot of pencilian and vit B last week, didn't seem to help. Were located in Florida have about 25 head. Thanks

Well, I'd get him up, take his temp, and call the vet. If you already noticed weight loss, it will probably continue. It's already been a couple of weeks. Pen and Vit B haven't helped. That's what I would do.

Hope it can be reversed with the right treatment. Won't you be breeding the next few months or so?

I bought some hay (ditch hay) recently, and had 4 cows act just as you describe. Never see any nails ,wire, etc. in bunks,but plenty of alum. cans. Stuck magnets in all 4, and all 4 went right to the bunks and started eating. Gave them all a shot of penicillin at same time. Next morning you could'nt tell anything had been wrong with them. Now I know someone is going to say a magnet does'nt work that fast,(vet says 3 days) but over the yrs, I can't remember ever putting in a magnet without the cow showing almost immediate improvement. Luck or was something else wrong? But for a $2.50 magnet, I'd stick one in him first thing.

Roadapple, I'd have to agree about how fast a magnet works. Had one with a 1-month calf at side, stopped eating, lying down, milk all but gone (all this very fast). Got a magnet and penicillin and 24 hours later, "almost immediate improvement," as you said. Good thing too, because there was no way her calf was going to take a bottle!

Ditch hay? Is that hay made from grass growing alongside the road in ditches?

I don't know if that's what's wrong with SBowen's bull since his problem seems to have been rather gradual. I'd still want a vet to examine him. Upcoming holidays might make it better to be seen sooner rather than later?

Yes, Gale, thats ditch hay, along with glass and plastic bottles, alum. cans, paper cups, dirty diapers, and etc. and anything else you can throw out of a car. God gave us this beautiful planet with fields of grass, flowing mt. streams, lakes, rivers, and it seems we do our best to mess it up.

Thanks, Roadapple, I thought so. I do a regular walk down our road to pick up the disgusting crap that people toss out of their cars and into our pastures.

I agree with Roadapple. I had a cow act this way. The vet put in a magnet and she was better in about a day. In a week she was totally herself. My magnet cost $3.50.

Latest posts