Angus bull sales

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie

Reaction score
I do enjoy a bull sale. I went to my first Angus bull sale of the year this weekend, a consignment sale. Top bull (a 2-year old) sold for $4400; low bull sold for $650, with a lot of $1500-2000 bulls in between. Guess you could say there was something there for everyone. There was a good crowd, stong bidding on the good bulls. Things got pretty slow when they started running in the low end of bulls, but they sold, too.

I'm waiting for the performance sales and such to begin around here. Getting lots of mail!! Always interesting to compare your comercial cattle to the "Big Boy's" stuff that they are selling.

Frankie, where was the sale? In Okla, or did you happen to go to Industry, Tx.? A.Z.

Anonymous":14eybxjl said:
Frankie, where was the sale? In Okla, or did you happen to go to Industry, Tx.? A.Z.

This sale was in Texas. No, I haven't been to Industry. It's just too far for us. You are talking about the Beef Development Center test and sale? Was that this past weekend?

Thanks Frankie. Yes, I was referring to the Beef Dev. Test sale and it was this past weekend. I wanted to go but work prevented it. I remember glancing thru all the Angus and Brangus info on their online site and thought it interesting that such a high percentage of the Angus calves were sired by just a few of the big name bulls. But I guess, more than anything else, that may just be a function of a relatively few breeders having calves in the test and that had bred many of their cows with the same sire. The Angus bulls have sold pretty well at Industry at the last few sales I attended and it seems like they have started to take back a bit of the thunder from the Charolais. A few years ago in these parts it seems like just about everybody thought they had to have a battery of Charolais bulls! Arnold Ziffle

Anonymous":3nict012 said:
Thanks Frankie. Yes, I was referring to the Beef Dev. Test sale and it was this past weekend. I wanted to go but work prevented it. I remember glancing thru all the Angus and Brangus info on their online site and thought it interesting that such a high percentage of the Angus calves were sired by just a few of the big name bulls. But I guess, more than anything else, that may just be a function of a relatively few breeders having calves in the test and that had bred many of their cows with the same sire. The Angus bulls have sold pretty well at Industry at the last few sales I attended and it seems like they have started to take back a bit of the thunder from the Charolais. A few years ago in these parts it seems like just about everybody thought they had to have a battery of Charolais bulls! Arnold Ziffle

The Texas Angus and the Texas Brangus Associations were instrumental in setting that test station up. The Angus people wanted to prove that Angus bulls can perform in hot weather, too, and I think they've done well. Last year 60% of the animals registered with the Angus Association were the result of AI. So you can see why so many bulls are sired by the same bulls. Did you by chance get to the Stars of Texas sale at Fort Worth? We've been the last several years, but didn't make it this year and haven't talked to anyone who went.

Frankie --- Did not attend Stars of Texas. But I sure do like to go to the shows & sales, even though I'm set for a while (I hope) on cows & bulls. However, at this time of the year making a living with my "real" job gets in the way! But I'm sure going to try to make time to view as much of the Houston Livestock Show offerings as I can. I just got a Brinks line (Camp Cooley) Brangus bull that I'm hoping will do a good job for me. Best of luck to you in your seedstock business. Arnold Z.

Anonymous":36uijsao said:
Frankie --- Did not attend Stars of Texas. But I sure do like to go to the shows & sales, even though I'm set for a while (I hope) on cows & bulls. However, at this time of the year making a living with my "real" job gets in the way! But I'm sure going to try to make time to view as much of the Houston Livestock Show offerings as I can. I just got a Brinks line (Camp Cooley) Brangus bull that I'm hoping will do a good job for me. Best of luck to you in your seedstock business. Arnold Z.

Arnold Z.

You mentioned Camp Cooley specifically in your last post. Are you satisfied with the service and genetics that they offer? I was thinking of going to their upcoming sale.

Mr. or Mrs. Guest --- Sorry but I can't comment from personal experience on the Camp Cooley service, etc. The reference to Camp Cooley in my post may have been misleading. I didn't actually buy this bull from Camp Cooley ranch, but I referred to him as a Brinks line bull since he has Exacto, Tyson, Extra (all Brinks AI sires) in his sire/grand/greatgrand, pedigree --- along with several Claydesta females. But FWIW Camp Cooley (the new owners of the Brinks cattle) certainly has a fine reputation as far as I can tell. I had been planning to attend one of the C.C. (and also Steiner) bull sales and I asked around and talked to a few Brangus breeders that are relatively small players (as compared to Camp Cooley, Steiner, etc.) and all were quite complimentary about C.C. Have only owned the bull for a couple of months and all I know for certain is that he definitely has a strong libido and a great disposition, dog gentle so far. Hope that helps a little. Arnold Ziffle

Camp Cooley has as good a reputation as anyone that I know of in the cattle business. I would not hesitate to recomend them or Steiner to anyone looking to purchase Brangus seedstock.

Dear Guest
I see you have a Tyson bull. I also have a bull from Tyson 376 F. His son is made just like him. He's 2 and a half and weighs close to 2000 lbs. He throws 70 to 80 lb calves and weaning 7 month calves 600 to 650 lb calves.

FRANKIE--YOU SAID YOU ATTENDED AN ANGUS BULL SELL--WHERE WAS IT LOCATED. WE HAVE A SMALL HERD OF GOOD QUALITY ANGUS AND AT THIS TIME ARE WANTING TO LOOK INTO A MARKET FOR OUR BULLS--THIS YEAR ONLY A COUPLE, BUT NUMEROUS ONES FOR THE FOLLOWING YEARS

ANGUS LOVER":cyqv39xi said:
FRANKIE--YOU SAID YOU ATTENDED AN ANGUS BULL SELL--WHERE WAS IT LOCATED. WE HAVE A SMALL HERD OF GOOD QUALITY ANGUS AND AT THIS TIME ARE WANTING TO LOOK INTO A MARKET FOR OUR BULLS--THIS YEAR ONLY A COUPLE, BUT NUMEROUS ONES FOR THE FOLLOWING YEARS

Where are you? This sale was in NE Texas. I'd encourage you to find a performance bull test station near you and test your bulls. That will tell you and the rest of the world how good your cattle really are. If the test station has a sale, they will help you market your bulls. Most of them send out test reports to commercial bull buyers; that will get your name out to the public at a small cost to you. Why don't you register and send me a Private Message (PM)? We can talk more....