Angus bull question?

Help Support CattleToday:

ousoonerfan22

Reaction score
Would two angus bulls that are full brothers and have the same epd's throw the same quality calves? The seller wants $3500 for one bull because he has more muscle and looks better than his brother that he has priced at $2500. Wouldn't these bulls throw the same calves? :???:

No, they are not genetically identical. Even flush mates are differnt genetically

I didn't know that.... yes these are flush brothers. So the better looking bull could throw better calves than his brother?

Yes he can. It is about like watching Michael Jordan's brother play basketball or Mariah Carey's sister sing. Same gene pool but they don't quite line up the same. I mean would you rather date Kim Kardashian or Chloe Kardashian same parents but not the same expression of genes.

ousoonerfan22":3elf9mwl said:
I didn't know that.... yes these are flush brothers. So the better looking bull could throw better calves than his brother?
If he is heavier muscled he "should" throw heavier muscled calves. But the old disclaimer always rears it's ugly head, "subject to some very tricky limitations" or "your mileage may vary"

Unfortunately it is the genes that are important and genotype and phenotype do not always match, so the better looking bull may throw better calves or the cheaper bull may throw better calves.... only time will tell. I have a friend who bought a SAV flush brother to a SAV bull that brought 6 digits. He still paid plenty for the bull, but his bull is functional and has fertile semen. The high dollar and better growing brother apparently has poor semen as when we flushed him to the same cows, we didn't get any good embryos and his AI pregnancy rate has been very poor on the same farm. (The semen from the high dollar bull is from a reputable stud company.) My friend wanted to buy the expensive bull because he looked better, but he cost too much. I think my friend got the better bull by far, but only time will tell. In year #1, the less expensive bull is doing a better job at settling cows and making calves. Bigger and stouter could mean better or could just mean that one bull likes to eat more and grew better and fatter and too much fat isn't good for fertility. I don't know which of your 2 bulls is the best. If both the cow and bull in the breeding are both well proven and consistent and the structure of both bulls is good, I wouldn't worry too much about which one I got. If neither the cow nor the bull in the mating are proven or if there are structural problems, I wouldn't buy either one, but this is just my 2 cents worth.

Well said, RV.
You should research and do the best that you can to hedge your bet, but at the end of the day buying a bull is a crap-shoot..

u4411clb":21v6pjor said:
Yes he can. It is about like watching Michael Jordan's brother play basketball or Mariah Carey's sister sing. Same gene pool but they don't quite line up the same. I mean would you rather date Kim Kardashian or Chloe Kardashian same parents but not the same expression of genes.
I wouldn't touch Kardashtrash with a 20 foot pole.

A few years ago ABS had a pair of split egg clones angus bulls named Consistance and Convergence . By the time they were 3-4 years old their EPDs were at opposite ends of the scale as mature bulls their FS was around 1 full point different and from the pictures of them they didn;t even look like they were remotely related.