angus bull question

Help Support CattleToday:

moloss

Reaction score
ok I'm new to cattle (have only owned them for 2 1/2 yrs) so bare with me.....I have mixed breed cows (mainly reds and blacks and a few hereferd crosses) and for the last couple years I have been using a very nice red angus bull that I bought right (meaning a great price).....well the other day he tore his cruciate ligament and now he's been sold at the sale barn.....so I'm looking for a new bull...now here's the question....If I buy a registered black angus bull can I sell the calves as angus? My understanding is that if they are at least 50% registered stock you can call them angus....is this true? thanks Chris.

IMO, they would be Angus crosses.... I would not call them Angus unless I KNEW without a doubt that they were 100% Angus.

I wonder if what you might be thinking of is the CAB program (certified Angus Beef) which allows for Angus sired animals to be called Angus.

Hopefully some other more knowledgeable folks on here will chime in.

moloss":8qkigx0i said:
ok I'm new to cattle (have only owned them for 2 1/2 yrs) so bare with me.....I have mixed breed cows (mainly reds and blacks and a few hereferd crosses) and for the last couple years I have been using a very nice red angus bull that I bought right (meaning a great price).....well the other day he tore his cruciate ligament and now he's been sold at the sale barn.....so I'm looking for a new bull...now here's the question....If I buy a registered black angus bull can I sell the calves as angus? My understanding is that if they are at least 50% registered stock you can call them angus....is this true? thanks Chris.

If the calves are black and decent looking you should get a good price for them regardless. If you use a registered Angus bull you can enroll them in the AngusSource program regardless of their color. Most AngusSource calves will bring good prices whether they're sold as feeders or replacement heifers. They can't, however be sold as registered or purebred Angus. Here's their website:

http://www.angus.org/angussource/

There are some fees and extra management involved so you'll have to decide if it's worth your while. I'd suggest that you contact an Angus breeder near you or your local Angus Association representative. I'm sure they'd be glad to help you and they can give you more information than I can. Good luck.

My understanding is that if they are at least 50% registered stock you can call them angus....is this true? thanks Chris.
Hi Chris. It's got to be a deeper understanding than just being able to " call them angus" in my opinion. You might be on the right track however. I couldn't find the link but I noticed in a report two weeks ago where a group of " certified" not purebred Angus sold for quite a bit more than the other calves. Seems like it was 1.60 . The ticket is probably going with the group that your market recognizes. I'm sure they can help you with the ins and outs of their program. Peace.

My understanding is that if they are at least 50% registered stock you can call them angus....

I thought all black cattle were Angus........ :banana:

thank you for the replies....I guess I have some more homework ahead of me....thanks again Chris.

Latest posts