Angus Bull price

Help Support CattleToday:

Depending on Their history you can plan anywere from 1200 to the sky. I have seen good bulls go for 1000 but rare. Look at like RA Brown ranch on their spred sheet. This has helped me price some befor.

Scotty

denoginnizer":xa631qui said:
Roughly how much should I expect to pay for a registered Angus bull with EPD BW of 0 to +2 .

Thanks

Agree with Scotty, prices will vary. You would have a very hard time in my area finding a good two year old Angus bull for sale. Most of the sales we attend will be selling yearlings to 18 months. It just costs too much to keep a bull around until he's a two year old if you can market him for a decent price as a yearling or long yearling. Here's a link to the OBI sale site. http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/exten/OBI/sales.htm
They have prices on bulls you can look at. You might go to the angus site and look at the bulls offered for sale around the country; but I didn't see any in AL. http://www.anguseclassifieds.com/
Another place to check is with the Angus rep in your region. He's Richard Dyar at Crossville, AL. His email is [email protected] . I can get his phone number, too, if you will PM me. Good luck...

we are in central Tx. we raise black angus bulls . we normally get 1000.00 to 1400.00 depending on age. they all are hand raised. if th;ey are not gental they go to what a burger.

Another man in Alabama that has Angus, he had a private sale back in November Loui Hinkle 1-800-430-2020

It really depends on what you want. If just having an Angus bull is all you want, then it will be cheap...If you really want to build carcass quality into your herd with replacement heifers and also want to sell good beef, then you have to go to the EPDs and figure what is best for your operation. We do the latter and never pay less than $3000 for a bull, use them for a couple years and then sell them for $2000. This can be done because of the breeding, EPD and the original breeders reputation. All sorts of things figure into the equation.

Billy :cboy:

I went to several sales in Ga. this past Fall, and the average price for 18-24 month bulls was 1400-1800$. For yearlings and long yearlings 1000-1200$. These were registered Black Angus sales.

denoginnizer":32z4l6w5 said:
I notice some of the sales say "performance tested". What does that mean?

It generally means the bull's growth (performance/development) was measured. Across the country there are bull test stations, many run by universities, where breeders bring their young bulls to be fed (developed) together. They are weighed and measured while on test and the "top" bull will be identified in some fashion. Auburn has a test and a sale. I think the sale was advertised here on CattleToday :?: Probably the most expensive time in a feeder calf's life is the time it spends in the feedlot. By buying high performaing bulls, producers are working to increase the feedlot efficiency of their cattle.

Or some larger breeders will feed (develop) their bulls on their place and measure themselves.

But various test stations and breeders use different management and feed programs to test these bulls. So you can't compare the performance of a bull on grass with a bull on a hot feed ration. In fact, these tests are only valid to compare one bull with another on the same test.

Hope this helped....

That did help. I am going to sell my calves at the local sale barn . If I buy a performance tested bull will I be paying for information I dont need? For example, daily gain?

denoginnizer":17ffa05t said:
That did help. I am going to sell my calves at the local sale barn . If I buy a performance tested bull will I be paying for information I dont need? For example, daily gain?

I would thnk that any data you could get on a bull other then maybe hat size would be of value when making a decision and choosing between different bulls.

dun

denoginnizer":ikhltt7q said:

Possibly. Some sale barns have special sales for source identified cattle. Sellers are encouraged to provide breeding information on the calves. Or you can look around for a group like Dun belongs to that markets their calves together. Then you might benefit from a good performance tested bull. If you plan to retain heifers, you'd have more feed efficient cows eventually.

Latest posts