Angus Bull Foremost

Help Support CattleToday:

I have not seen or heard anything of this bull. I very much like that Hoover Dam is in his pedigree. Lead On is back in his pedigree too, and his calves did pretty well here too. I have looked at this bull's pedigree before and thought that the fact that he goes back to GAR Grid Maker on both sides, may be problematic in terms of calving ease, even though the EPD's do not reflect that.

I've got a half brother to HD as a mature cow bull. I'd use him on heifers but due to his size, and tendency to lay on a cow, I can't put him on heifers. Gentle as a dog. I am looking for something along those lines to replace him when the time comes. I had ran a sire search on AAA site and he came up. One of two. ICC Expansion Bridge being the other. Couldn't find much on him.

Hoover Dam is probably my favorite Angus bull, I have used him and a son on heifers with no problems at all. I am just concerned about the double breeding of Grid Maker in Foremost. I have nothing against Grid Maker, just that he is a true power bull, not a heifer bull. One of the biggest cows of any breed that I have ever seen was a Grid Maker daughter.

Ky hills":2t2bfoix said:
Hoover Dam is probably my favorite Angus bull, I have used him and a son on heifers with no problems at all. I am just concerned about the double breeding of Grid Maker in Foremost. I have nothing against Grid Maker, just that he is a true power bull, not a heifer bull. One of the biggest cows of any breed that I have ever seen was a Grid Maker daughter.
I had a grid maker son about 10 yrs ago that I still consider my favorite bull. His daughters did get big, but I thought that they were pretty easy keepers and very fertile. His steers had great muscle.

The Grid Maker on the Hoover Dam side is so far back I don't think it would be a problem.
He doesn't seem to have a lot of size or muscle. His marbling epd is right on the brink where most bulls marbling epd falls off a cliff. Most bulls seem to do well until their accuracy gets past that .47 or so. In the old epds Connealy Comrade was +1 for both marbling and ribeye...now is .56 for marbling and ribeye .68.

Latest posts