Angus Bull for ya'll to critique

Help Support CattleToday:

LimousinGirl

Reaction score
Here's the new Angus bull...EXAR RAVEN 84054. He's 14 months old, kinda smaller framed but that's what we wanted. Can't wait to see what his calves look like next year, should be some fine Lim-Flex's :D
His sire is BC 7022 RAVEN 7965 (http://www.universalsemensales.com/detail_angus.php?angus_id=247) and Dam is EXAR BANDO 5019.

Bull_.jpg

Bull7.jpg

DSC_0815.jpg

DSC_0825.jpg

DSC_0811.jpg

love his head! :)

DSC_0814.jpg

Okay ya'll, I want to know what you think of him...yep, the good and the bad--and don't be bashful. :) I know he's certainly not one of the great bulls out there, but I think he'll work fine for what we need him for, mainly to get our cows bred. ;-)

Have at it!

What's he weigh?

Do you have his ultrasound #'s

What do you plan to do with his calves?

I like him. He good be a little thicker up front, with a stronger shoulder, but overall, and for his age, he looks great. I would question the fact that I don't see testicles in any of those pictures :???: I'm sure they're their though, just hiding. ;-) -maybe he's cold?

Jovid":38b64pgf said:
What's he weigh?

Jovid-
don't know his exact weight but his YW was 1,192 LB so I'm guessing between somewhere around 1300-1350 maybe but I'm terrible at guessing weight.

Some of his EPD's:
CED: +3
BW: +2.7 Act. BW: 55
WW: +46 Adj. WW: 592 (wish this was higher but I can live with it)
Milk: +19
YW: +82 Adj. YW: 1,192
SC: -0.15
REA +0.29 Adj. REA 14.9

His calves...bulls will become steers and head to the freezer unless I decide otherwise by the calf's looks and heifers will be kept and bred the following year unless I decide otherwise like the bulls. Don't plan on selling many right now.

Thanks Gallowaygirl. I can definitely see where he could be thicker up front. And yep, he's got testicles all right. Look close in the top picture and you can see them. just kinda blends with his hair.

LG

i like him but i think he needs more bone but i say that about most angus cattle. very pretty head.

LimousinGirl":31sg6slo said:
Jovid":31sg6slo said:
What's he weigh?

Jovid-
don't know his exact weight but his YW was 1,192 LB so I'm guessing between somewhere around 1300-1350 maybe but I'm terrible at guessing weight.

Some of his EPD's:
REA +0.29 Adj. REA 14.9

His calves...bulls will become steers and head to the freezer unless I decide otherwise by the calf's looks and heifers will be kept and bred the following year unless I decide otherwise like the bulls. Don't plan on selling many right now.

Thanks Gallowaygirl. I can definitely see where he could be thicker up front. And yep, he's got testicles all right. Look close in the top picture and you can see them. just kinda blends with his hair.

LG

Do you know his actual ultrasound and scrotal circumference results? Not his EPDs

Jovid":1biks9kn said:
Do you know his actual ultrasound and scrotal circumference results? Not his EPDs

Whoops, sorry...didn't realize that's what you wanted to see. Nope, I don't have those yet.

EDIT: now I just said that and looked and I DO have his Adj. scrotal circumference, it's 36.0--tha'ts all I got right now tho

LimousinGirl":ofjeulx5 said:
Jovid":ofjeulx5 said:
What's he weigh?

Jovid-

Some of his EPD's:
REA +0.29 Adj. REA 14.9

LG

I see 'em now-but they do blend awfully well! Well, since he has testicles, he's okay, better than the bull I have right now! I'd take him home in an instant if he was Galloway

LimousinGirl":24mt1ap7 said:
Here's the new Angus bull...EXAR RAVEN 84054. He's 14 months old, kinda smaller framed but that's what we wanted. Can't wait to see what his calves look like next year, should be some fine Lim-Flex's :D
His sire is BC 7022 RAVEN 7965 (http://www.universalsemensales.com/detail_angus.php?angus_id=247) and Dam is EXAR BANDO 5019.

Okay ya'll, I want to know what you think of him...yep, the good and the bad--and don't be bashful. :) I know he's certainly not one of the great bulls out there, but I think he'll work fine for what we need him for, mainly to get our cows bred. ;-)

Have at it!

I think he's pretty but, ouch, that negative scrotal EPD. :( Some people tell buyers to take a picture of that pretty heifer the day you take her home from Express. She'll probably never look that good again. Best of luck with him.

Red Bull Breeder":1ckoxh44 said:
Be careful with that little feller, been told by a few people that some of them Express angus got some snort to them.

I wasn't going to say anything, but I sensed that specific bull could be dangerous and should be respected much more than normal.

HerefordSire":1jkcp1d4 said:
Red Bull Breeder":1jkcp1d4 said:
Be careful with that little feller, been told by a few people that some of them Express angus got some snort to them.

I wasn't going to say anything, but I sensed that specific bull could be dangerous and should be respected much more than normal.

You "sensed" that, did you? In a couple of photos over the internet? Man, I'm impressed. Do you solve murders and speak to spirits, too? :roll:

Angus Cowman":3a6l1fpi said:
Red Bull Breeder":3a6l1fpi said:
I agree RBB
I don't care for the way he holds his head he looks like he could get a lil hot

AC...look at the second to the last picture. Scares me.

Frankie":hb0gd42z said:
HerefordSire":hb0gd42z said:
Red Bull Breeder":hb0gd42z said:

You "sensed" that, did you? In a couple of photos over the internet? Man, I'm impressed. Do you solve murders and speak to spirits, too? :roll:

Three men have posted about this bull. I am one of the three that sense it. Sensing includes eyes since it is one of the five senses. I was not referring to a six sense.

Thanks for the caution guys, he does look kinda feisty in the pics by the way he holds his head and stuff and we're being very careful around him, (and having had Limo's for years, I kinda like to keep a distance anyway :) ) but I do think some of that looks comes from the fact that he's pretty skiddesh right now and just getting used to the place around here.

Hey Frankie-wanna explain what that negative scrotal EPD means a little? Haven't dealt with that much. Oh, BTW, I guess that might be the case with with some Ex heifers, but MY lil' girl looked about 20X better a few months after I brought her home...yep, a major difference :D

LimousinGirl":lnspcq28 said:
Thanks for the caution guys, he does look kinda feisty in the pics by the way he holds his head and stuff and we're being very careful around him, (and having had Limo's for years, I kinda like to keep a distance anyway :) ) but I do think some of that looks comes from the fact that he's pretty skiddesh right now and just getting used to the place around here.

Hey Frankie-wanna explain what that negative scrotal EPD means a little? Haven't dealt with that much. Oh, BTW, I guess that might be the case with with some Ex heifers, but MY lil' girl looked 20X better a few months after I brought her home. :D

Bulls with larger scrotal can breed more cows. This guy's own scrotal measurement is fine. I think the BIF recommends 30cms as a yearling for a breeding bull? But even more important, IMO, scrotal measurement is tied to daughter fertility. There's some research showing daughters of bulls with larger scotal measurments reach puberty earlier.

Compared to a Limi he's probably got plenty of scrotal. Bull does look a little hawky in the photo's though, but again, compared to limi's...........

Latest posts