Angus Bred Heifers...Good Deal?

Help Support CattleToday:

Jon Loy

Reaction score
Hi I have found some Angus Bred heifers for sale near me. They are coming on 2 yrs old and are 900lbs. They are beig bred to a Beefmaster Bull. They have been with the bull Since July 10th. The seller wants $1000 a head and they are set to calve in May. Is this a good deal??

Jon Loy":1pdpoa6z said:
Hi I have found some Angus Bred heifers for sale near me. They are coming on 2 yrs old and are 900lbs. They are beig bred to a Beefmaster Bull. They have been with the bull Since July 10th. The seller wants $1000 a head and they are set to calve in May. Is this a good deal??

That doesn't sound like an especially good deal to me.

Angus heifers bred to a Beefmaster bull? That doesn't sound like a good deal to me. That seems an odd choice for central Illinois even if they weren't heifers. Maybe someone will enlighten me.

Walt

Txwalt":2zlbzawv said:
Angus heifers bred to a Beefmaster bull? That doesn't sound like a good deal to me. That seems an odd choice for central Illinois even if they weren't heifers. Maybe someone will enlighten me.

Walt
Price and bull both sound out of wack to me too. The price because that's just high now and the bull for a cold climate.
900 lbs as coming 2 year olds is pretty low too.

Calving ease may be an issue also. I prefer calving ease bulls for heifers. I'd be worried unless I knew the paticulairs of the bull.

A neighbor of mine had bought 3 sale barn bred cows (just commercials, not Angus) about 10 years ago. All 3 died in labor. The neighbor told me the vet said all three had been bred to a Beefmaster bull.

dun":2efnynxt said:
Txwalt":2efnynxt said:

Walt
Price and bull both sound out of wack to me too. The price because that's just high now and the bull for a cold climate.
900 lbs as coming 2 year olds is pretty low too.

I agree Dun on all points. If they are closely approaching 2yrs, they should weigh considerably more than 900lbs. I like to breed angus heifers at 15 mos weighing at least 850. I like to have them calving by 2 yrs.

Jon Loy":2lbiwp40 said:
I have no clue about the price as I am not from same country. If they get enough to eat they will be big enough to calve, even if they are very small now.

Hard for me to think of central Illinois as cold climate?
I would sure get some information on the bull.
900 pounds is a little small, why are they small?
Probably not real great cattle at that weight, at 24 months.
About 1-2 hundred $ overpriced.

ANAZAZI":26ggiqkp said:
Jon Loy":26ggiqkp said:
I have no clue about the price as I am not from same country. If they get enough to eat they will be big enough to calve, even if they are very small now.

Cowdirt":l9jkzynp said:
ANAZAZI":l9jkzynp said:
Jon Loy":l9jkzynp said:

Ooops! My comment didn't get added. I said: I agree Anazazi; they will be large enough to calve but from the information given they seem to be at best avg. heifers and the price is imo more than avg.

It bothers me to read this post, as always the breeding age is determined by weight...a heifer can be bred at 750lbs and sometimes less depending on the full grown weight. One of the nicest animals I bought was a 750lb bred angus, and I should add kept her heifer and she has grown into a nice cow.

I don't know if Dun and other persons on this page are raising show animals or what thier goals are. But a 900 lb heifer due to calf will gain a few lbs and be a 1200lbs animal...the goal that dun and many have here. One day they question frame size the other not...but the truth is ..well i think u get it.

Have nice day:)

donnaIL":2klrhcay said:
It bothers me to read this post, as always the breeding age is determined by weight...a heifer can be bred at 750lbs and sometimes less depending on the full grown weight. One of the nicest animals I bought was a 750lb bred angus, and I should add kept her heifer and she has grown into a nice cow.

I don't know if Dun and other persons on this page are raising show animals or what thier goals are. But a 900 lb heifer due to calf will gain a few lbs and be a 1200lbs animal...the goal that dun and many have here. One day they question frame size the other not...but the truth is ..well i think u get it.

Have nice day:)
for me the weight isn't a problem it is the combination of them being 2 yrs old and only weighing 900lbs that is the problem and if these heifers are just now being bred then they are priced too high as you will have at least 6 months to wait til they calve

Would have to wonder just how close to two years old they are. If the person that has them raised them or bought them? Make a lot of difference if you knew if they was 15 to 16 months or 20 months old.

There's a reason their that small at 2 years. On average forage I want a 1200 pound min at 2 years. Hard to put weight on a heifer during the last trimester [weight gain will be fetus] harder to put it on while nursing. I want the growth by the time of breeding and the few months after. Calving ease, rebreeding and longevity and overall health are concerns.

Mnmt have you got there birth dates?? Poster said they are coming 2 years old. Could be 14 or 15 months or 20 months. If they put the bull with them at 16 months they still have 7 months before they are two years old. Now if they are 20 months you are right.

Latest posts