Angus Bred Heifers...Good Deal?

Help Support CattleToday:

Coming 2 says to me that they're almost 2 not just long yearlings. A 900 lb heifer at 15 months is a far cray from a 900 lb heaifer at 22 months.
My problem with the deal is everything combined, age and weight, bull, and price for them.

Red Bull Breeder":23na5bbk said:
Mnmt have you got there birth dates?? Poster said they are coming 2 years old. Could be 14 or 15 months or 20 months. If they put the bull with them at 16 months they still have 7 months before they are two years old. Now if they are 20 months you are right.

Yeah, I should assume they are younger, as most all of us would breed heifers at 15 months or so. Coming 2 does sound old, some wait however.
Coming two to me means coming two. Maybe should ask the poster birthdates.

Thats kinda what i am getting at we don't really no how old they are. Poster said they had been with the bull since July. If they were 14 to 16 months old when the bull was turned in and weigh 900 then they might be pretty good heifers. Been alot of head rattling with out enough info.

Jon Loy":22tp7don said:
Hi I have found some Angus Bred heifers for sale near me. They are coming on 2 yrs old and are 900lbs. They are beig bred to a Beefmaster Bull. They have been with the bull Since July 10th. The seller wants $1000 a head and they are set to calve in May. Is this a good deal??
Jon;
After you have considered all of the previous points, there is something else worth mentioning. Are you set up to calve out heifers? For instance, do you have a puller? Know how to pull a calf? Know how to recognize when a heifer is having trouble? Have shelter if needed? I don't know your history, but if you are new to this, first calf heifers are definitely not the place to start.

There are many factors that come into play as to weather it is a good deal or not. Are the cattle registered? How old are they ? If they are 15- 16 months old then they should have no problem reaching an acceptable weight by calving given they are managed properly. the thing that would make me steer clear is that they are bred to a beefmaster bull. If you plan on keeping the calves as replacements they probably wont thrive as well in the colder climate. What was the bulls birth weight
you would not want to buy heifers that are all going to give you calving issues. best of luck

I don't have a problem with the cow size or the bull.....I just think they've extremely overpriced as you are really buying "open heifers" since you don't really know if they're bred or not...offer him $.80 a lb. and weigh the things.

If they are going for smaller frame size, the weight may not be a problem. I have small cows that calve successfully all the time, and since they are smaller, I have a higher cow to acre ratio. The thing that is weird to mee is the beefmaster in Illinois. Of course we are used to it, but it should be just as weird that we have livestock in southern Alabama with NO brahman influence. If they aren't registered, which I assume they're not considering the breed of the bull, they seem a little overpriced to me. I might consider them at $200 less. Of course, personally, I never buy bred heifers. I either buy them with their first calf at their side, or bred back with their second calf. That takes alot of the risk out for me.

Latest posts