Angus Bloodlines

Help Support CattleToday:

jaydill

Reaction score
I'm looking for what the general consensus is on what the top 4-5 Angus bloodlines are. Along with the names of the bloodlines, could you please give a brief description of what the bloodline is generally known for? Some bloodlines might be known for good milk production, some bloodlines might produce a certain "look", some bloodlines might produce better cows than the others, etc. And for you other breeds, don't worry! Y'alls threads are coming next. I'm just doing one at a time so that I can pool the responses from this post and write them down in a "Bloodlines Notebook" of mine. Thanks in advance! :cboy:

Jay

Edit: You needn't list all 4 in your individual posts. Just post a popular bloodline you know of, and that bloodline's distinguishing characteristics. Feel free to repeat bloodlines. I don't mind reading through things more than once...just helps me memorize it! :lol:

N Bar Emulation EXT. We used him because his sons gained well on test, he added body length to his offspring. But it's his daughters that set him aside from other Angus bulls. They tend to have wonderful udders, strong maternal traits, fertile. His offspring are thick and moderate framed. (EXT's sire was a much used bull and I think his son, Leachman Right Time, was a very good bull too.)

B/R New Design 036. Easy calving, fertile, top notch carcass quality and the ability to gain in the feedlot. He'll add frame to those dumpy style Angus, add marbling, and take off some of the backfat.

Right off the top of my head, those are my picks. I'll see if anything else comes to mind as other people jump in and beat me up or add their own favorites.

EXT would be a "bloodline".

Some of the Jorgensens would be a "bloodline".

Wye would be a "bloodline".

Some of the Graham's would still be a "bloodline".

Papa would still have some "bloodlines".

Hoff's would be a "bloodline".

Sunnyslope would still have a few "bloodlines".

Sinclair maintains the N BAR "bloodlines".

Ohlde would have "bloodlines".

Can't think of any others right now.

036 is not a "bloodline", he is simply a bull.

mtnman

Frankie":1yla35s6 said:
N Bar Emulation EXT. We used him because his sons gained well on test, he added body length to his offspring. But it's his daughters that set him aside from other Angus bulls. They tend to have wonderful udders, strong maternal traits, fertile. His offspring are thick and moderate framed. (EXT's sire was a much used bull and I think his son, Leachman Right Time, was a very good bull too.)

B/R New Design 036. Easy calving, fertile, top notch carcass quality and the ability to gain in the feedlot. He'll add frame to those dumpy style Angus, add marbling, and take off some of the backfat.

Right off the top of my head, those are my picks. I'll see if anything else comes to mind as other people jump in and beat me up or add their own favorites.
I'm surprised I haven't gotten more responses than this. Thank you, Frankie. So you would say that the EXT bloodlines often throw, or are known for moderating frame, lengthening a calf, and producing cows with strong maternal traits? Or just this particular bull?

On the next bull, New Design would be the bloodline, right? Is it common to this bloodline to do all of the things you mentioned, or just to this particular bull?

Thanks,
Jay

mtnman":3b23bx4l said:
EXT would be a "bloodline".

Some of the Jorgensens would be a "bloodline".

Wye would be a "bloodline".

Some of the Graham's would still be a "bloodline".

Papa would still have some "bloodlines".

Hoff's would be a "bloodline".

Sunnyslope would still have a few "bloodlines".

Sinclair maintains the N BAR "bloodlines".

Ohlde would have "bloodlines".

036 is not a "bloodline", he is simply a bull.

mtnman
Are these all bloodlines you feel are top among Angus? As far as the ones you feel are top, do you think you could give me a brief description of what the bloodline is known for?

Thanks,
Jay

Yes, I would think that New Trend/New Design has reached the critical mass that you could call them a "bloodline". There is certainly enough of them to linebreed.

Tehama Bando is another sire that has enough descendents that you often see him 2 or 3 times in a pedigree.

PS Powerplay, often through his sons Scotch cap and Lovana, rises to the level of "bloodline"

I think Frankie is right to include N Bar Emulation EXT. With 20,000+ descendants he appears on the top and bottom of many pedigrees.

One problem with identifying "bloodlines" is that many/probably most Angus breeders are just looking for complimentary bulls for their cows AND many of those breeders are just looking at EPDs so some pedigrees LOOK like they are linebreeding when really all the guy is doing is trying to make his EPDs look better and doesn't realize that the cattle he is mating are already cousins.

jaydill":bqnocppg said:
I'm surprised I haven't gotten more responses than this. Thank you, Frankie. So you would say that the EXT bloodlines often throw, or are known for moderating frame, lengthening a calf, and producing cows with strong maternal traits? Or just this particular bull?

I wouldn't say EXT BLOODLINES do these things, but we didn't use any of his sons. The old bull lived to be 13 years old and produced semen most of those years. We had a good supply; in fact, we sold our last cane. Most of our cows are daughters or grand daughters of the bull, so we couldn't justify holding on to the semen. The only son we're familiar with is Right Time and those cows have more frame than our EXT cows, but are sure good mommas. You know EXT is only half of his son's genetic make up. You have to look at the other side of the pedigree, too. He's linebred, sort of. His maternal and paternal grandsire is the same, Emulation 31.

On the next bull, New Design would be the bloodline, right? Is it common to this bloodline to do all of the things you mentioned, or just to this particular bull?

Not all the things I mentioned. The one son we've used, Bon View New Design 878, seems to moderate frame; 036 didn't do that. 878 calves in my experience are thicker than 036 calves. But 878 does give you good carcass quality like 036. Again, there's a cow involved in every calf born.

We don't consider using a bull because he's an EXT or 036 son, though that's a plus. We generally wait until the bull has proven himself before we jump in and use him.

Angus Guy":2m3igcoc said:
Frankie

WE sure can't forget all of the great Traveller cattle.

That's true, but I don't have first hand knowledge of many of them. I hope others will chime in with their opinions.

A top notch angus breeder around here uses the papa line and they look real good. They seem to have more than enough REA and have moderate frame and gain good. JHH

Just about bought a bull back in april went way to cheap.

A flush brother sold in another sale for 7,000.00, this bull went for 1500.00

This is more like it! Thanks a bunch y'all. I would like to see some information on both the Traveller line as well as the GAR lines.. as I've seen both mentioned on here frequently.

Jay

Depending on where you live makes the difference of what line would work for you. Then there are cattle that seem to work under any condition. Those are the cattle that one needs to focus on, not the flavor of the month.

Real People=Real Cattle=Real Herd

SEC":1hwz9bfr said:
Depending on where you live makes the difference of what line would work for you. Then there are cattle that seem to work under any condition. Those are the cattle that one needs to focus on, not the flavor of the month.

Real People=Real Cattle=Real Herd
Thanks, but I'm not looking for a line that will work for me. I'm trying to make a log of people's general interpretation of the available bloodlines of different breeds of cattle, and what distinguishes them from one another.

Jay

A single bull might be the start of a bloodline, but until he is inbred to, there is no "bloodline".

EXT would be a "bloodline". Emulous.

Some of the Jorgensens would be a "bloodline". Rito, Band, some emulous.

Wye would be a "bloodline". Basically, it's own.

Some of the Graham's would still be a "bloodline". Basically it's own.

Papa would still have some "bloodlines". Some Traveler, some Ritos

Hoff's would be a "bloodline". Primairly Band and Bandolier, Bardoliermre, but the probable Chianina cross changed things. They are predictable, though.

Sunnyslope would still have a few "bloodlines". Primarily Rito.

Sinclair maintains the N BAR "bloodlines". Emolus, Rito and crosses.

Ohlde would have "bloodlines". Basically, his own, founded on Rito, and quite a bit of Band via 6807.

036 is not a "bloodline", he is simply a bull. Yep, still true.

mtnman

Hill Creek Farm":35iw3soq said:
GAR, Leachman, Sitz, Connelly, and Wehrmann. Those would be some really top Angus herds. What do you all think? :cboy:
These may be people and Angus herds, but they are not bloodlines.

la4angus":vunno8tg said:
Hill Creek Farm":vunno8tg said:
GAR, Leachman, Sitz, Connelly, and Wehrmann. Those would be some really top Angus herds. What do you all think? :cboy:
These may be people and Angus herds, but they are not bloodlines.

Welcome back, LA.

Well come back LA. We've sure missed your know how. By the way hope you can make Hoff's sale.

I appreciate your keen interest. |You want to know bloodlines, write down the ones that are popular today and then in 3, 5, 7 and 10 years down the road you will know how good they were as you will see relatives of that and on one side of the pedigree or both.

When you seen regular cattle showing up on the top or bottom sides of pedigrees for a number of years. Then you will know what their strengths are/were.