Angus Bloodline

Help Support CattleToday:

regenwether

Reaction score
A while back I was watching an Auction on RFD. It was the PX ranch located in Bruneau, ID. They were selling feeder cattle. Very even and clean groups of cattle. I was impressed with the cattle. I wrote the bloodlines down and was wondering for some imput. Three name's were repeated. "Future Direction", "Stevenson Basin Black Angus", and "On Target". Would you consider the bloodlines Terminal or Maternal?? Thank you for any imput!

I don;t know about Stevenson Basin black Angus but their reds are some of both but I think from the AI standpoint, calving ease and maternal

regenwether":53y194m1 said:
A while back I was watching an Auction on RFD. It was the PX ranch located in Bruneau, ID. They were selling feeder cattle. Very even and clean groups of cattle. I was impressed with the cattle. I wrote the bloodlines down and was wondering for some imput. Three name's were repeated. "Future Direction", "Stevenson Basin Black Angus", and "On Target". Would you consider the bloodlines Terminal or Maternal?? Thank you for any imput!

Future Direction is definitely terminal. He's a Curly Calf Syndrome Carrier so all his calves should go to the feedlot. Stevenson Basin is the name of a ranch. Some of their bulls are maternal and some terminal. Boyd On Target 1083 (13828202) might be considered terminal because of his high growth numbers, but because of his dam's pedigree, I'd give some consideration to him as a maternal sire.

Dont be silly Frankie. Future Direction progeny that test AMF will be worth more than before. Dont panic about CCS. All of Future Direction's progeny should NOT go to the feedlot only the ones that test positive for CCS.

:frowns:

jscunn":ptkbcfo8 said:
Dont be silly Frankie. Future Direction progeny that test AMF will be worth more than before. Dont panic about CCS. All of Future Direction's progeny should NOT go to the feedlot only the ones that test positive for CCS.

Future Direction, himself, was not being sold at this sale. I assume sons/grandsons were being sold and likely to commercial cattlemen. Our poster didn't say the bulls being sold had been tested for AMF. Since there's not a test generally available yet, it would seem unlikely to me that those FD sons/grandsons had been tested. And if a commercial bull buyer buys an untested FD son, IMO, all those calves should go to the feedlot.

Frankie":2y05w50b said:
jscunn":2y05w50b said:

Future Direction, himself, was not being sold at this sale. I assume sons/grandsons were being sold and likely to commercial cattlemen. Our poster didn't say the bulls being sold had been tested for AMF. Since there's not a test generally available yet, it would seem unlikely to me that those FD sons/grandsons had been tested. And if a commercial bull buyer buys an untested FD son, IMO, all those calves should go to the feedlot.
I second the motion. Plenty of other good bulls out there that are AMF.

jscunn":1lgv7ryb said:

I just bought a future direction ET son from a prominent breeder for that reason. He's a yearling and I won't use him till I see the test. The seller - a well known angus operation - guaranteed to refund my money less salvage if he was a carrier. I also wouldn't hesitate to use this bull as an outcross for terminal calves even if he is positive. Then there's the 50/50 chance he's actually clean. Then I just bought a great cleanup bull at a great price. There's the baby and then there's the bathwater.

Everything else - I'm with Frankie.

Sydenstricker got all of there sale cattle that were possible for CCS tested before their sale on Nov 22 and they didnt advertise it. The Carriers in the sale cattle were taken out of the sale. So It is possible to have it done. I dont know if anyone else has had it done but possibly. I bet that they will use those test results for the peer evaluation phase of the test, before it is truly availble to the public.

frankie,
No kidding that Future Direction is not being sold, he is taking a dirt nap. I stand by my statement Future Direction progeny are not strictly terminal. Test the sons and daughters, keep the ones that are clean, there will be a test shortly.

DONT PANIC!!

sooknortex":28crd6u5 said:
>>I also wouldn't hesitate to use this bull as an outcross for terminal calves even if he is positive.<<

You say terminal, but let's say you take the calves down to the auction barn. Some buyer see's a fancy set of uniform black heifers and buys them, grows them out then keeps or sells them as replacements, then let's say the fella that bought this set ran them with a sure 'nuf good angus bull, that also just happened to be CCS?

My question is by terminal, do you have the responsibility to have the auctioneer at the sale call out that the heifers were out of a CCS bull and are meant for the feedyard only?

That would seem reasonable.

What I don't use for breeding, I typically sell directly to the feedlot or feed out myself eliminating that issue - for me - others may still face it.