Angus Bloodline Super X

Help Support CattleToday:

SEC":1lvq9k9m said:
We had a son of Super X 745 that we just lost the other day. His mother was an awesome cow that had raised herdbulls before.
I had 1st seen Super X calves at Connelly's in MT and they were pretty easy to look at there, stout, well muscle bulls, large scrotal they were easy to like. Those cattle had structure that would blow most other bulls out of the water. Not any bull do I know that is as good for making the feet and legs right as he did.
This son we have is similar, doesn't pass the same muscle pattern. But they are right on! Their structure is bang on, he will fix structure like no other bull I know. I am not saying that because we owned a chunk of him but I have been looking for a bull that would correct structure for a very long time, hard to find.

The Super X daughters were average for milk, the udders are excellent. Easy doing but not so easy doing like Alberda Traveler that they make won't milk properly.

His milk number is +15lbs, so for the EPD guru's that wouldn't be high enough.

Thankfully we collected some semen on our bull before he went on!
Alberda Travelers won't make milk properly???? I just had 2 Alberda Traveler daughters calve and I see zero problems with respect to milk. I hope I have a lot more Al. Traveler 416's coming because I love that easy fleshing. I hope I don't see any of those milk problems you have spoken about. BTW I probably wouldn't breed to a bull whose $EN is a negative, simply because in my environment of mainly fescue pastures, the ones I have used with lower $EN scores have been harder keeping. I mentioned this to my GENEX rep. as I noticed about all of their featured bulls were negative on $EN. He told me I was the first one that had noticed that fact and he hadn't even noticed it. Anyways JMHO.

From what I have found traveling thousands of miles a year and seeing thousands of cattle that in general the Traveler 416 cattle are lactose intolerant.

I loved the bull in stud, for his fleshing abilities, large scrotal, big foot, etc. The fact that he was a 6807 was also a good thing.
From my travels it appears that the Traveler 416's are maybe to easy doing? As calves they were absolutely butterballs. Consequently they haven't been the milkiest sire group.

In more harsh conditions might suit the bull better as the calves might not have the chance to be to fat. But where grass is good and plentiful, things have looked promising on an average.

For clarification about the difference between a breed line and a name, in regards to the Super X LINE, in the Jorgensen program from my understanding they occasionally assign a special name to sires that have gained distinction in their herd, some follow the sires name and some like Super X and Eldorado do not. From this individual bull they propagate a line crossing him on the base herd of Band/Rito/Skylandmere cows and whatever lines that had been started prior to the Super X, then recrossing the sons and daughters to stack the bulls influence. The original Super X bull was bred at Sunny Slope in Minnesota, and was from Jorgensen Bloodlines, and his influence found its way back to the Jorgensen Program. In the case of the supposed Bandolier line, instead of the Traveler or Band line, if you were following your rigid definition you would realize that the true line name would be Evader or Bardolier, or Marshall, or even Jock if you took it far enough back, either way in the definition of a sire line it has to start somewhere. I personally feel like Traveler by now could be considered a line due to the concentration of his influence in several pedigrees that continue to use the Traveler name, not just by paternal heritage. I think you have to pick your battles, is it worth creating an enemy of someone that has asked a question to build constructive knowledge. This is counterproductive to the purpose of a forum, of which is designed to expand knowledge, not to gripe and moan incorrectly about how someone has stated their question or their definitions. As for the Super X cattle I cannot really say much about, although I can speak for the Jorgensen Program, they are true breeders in every since of the word, they improve from within by using mostly their own breeding. We have recently returned to using the 1418 bull heavily in a program in which I consult for. Their goal is to make females that are moderate in frame, pounds efficient, reproductively sound, with acceptable carcass merit. We used 1418 because I really liked what he did on 6807 daughters which is the type and kind of cattle that we are building off of. The Jorgensen cattle are known for feed conversion and carcass merit, as well as their milking ability. The few critiques that I have heard, mostly of the Band derivitive cattle is that you can reduce scrotal circumference and put a shallow heel if you stack this line without discretion.

:deadhorse: For clarification about the difference between a breed line and a name, in regards to the Super X LINE, in the Jorgensen program from my understanding they occasionally assign a special name to sires that have gained distinction in their herd, some follow the sires name and some like Super X and Eldorado do not. From this individual bull they propagate a line crossing him on the base herd of Band/Rito/Skylandmere cows and whatever lines that had been started prior to the Super X, then recrossing the sons and daughters to stack the bulls influence. The original Super X bull was bred at Sunny Slope in Minnesota, and was from Jorgensen Bloodlines, and his influence found its way back to the Jorgensen Program. In the case of the supposed Bandolier line, instead of the Traveler or Band line, if you were following your rigid definition you would realize that the true line name would be Evader or Bardolier, or Marshall, or even Jock if you took it far enough back, either way in the definition of a sire line it has to start somewhere. I personally feel like Traveler by now could be considered a line due to the concentration of his influence in several pedigrees that continue to use the Traveler name, not just by paternal heritage. I think you have to pick your battles, is it worth creating an enemy of someone that has asked a question to build constructive knowledge. This is counterproductive to the purpose of a forum, of which is designed to expand knowledge, not to gripe and moan incorrectly about how someone has stated their question or their definitions. As for the Super X cattle I cannot really say much about, although I can speak for the Jorgensen Program, they are true breeders in every since of the word, they improve from within by using mostly their own breeding. We have recently returned to using the 1418 bull heavily in a program in which I consult for. Their goal is to make females that are moderate in frame, pounds efficient, reproductively sound, with acceptable carcass merit. We used 1418 because I really liked what he did on 6807 daughters which is the type and kind of cattle that we are building off of. The Jorgensen cattle are known for feed conversion and carcass merit, as well as their milking ability. The few critiques that I have heard, mostly of the Band derivitive cattle is that you can reduce scrotal circumference and put a shallow heel if you stack this line without discretion.

la4angus - Lloyd Aylsworth met him once in Denver nearly 10 years ago, an absolute gentleman and departed this earth a couple of years later.

Robert,

Didn't realize the post was that old, guess I really was beating the dead horse. I don't post often, because I don't really have alot of free time to frequent the boards like when I was in college. I guess the response to the question just rubbed me the wrong way. I dislike seeing when people come to the boards looking for information and get harassed for their efforts over something insignificant.

My respects to La4Angus. I can't hold a grudge against someone that has passed on.

I was searching for a website for McBee Angus when I stumbled across the post. Tom McBee had propagated his own line of Super X cattle back in the day. I came across his name in a press release from Accelerated genetics, and was curious where their program had headed. My search was to no avail, as I didn't find any sort of webpage for them.

How are things up in New York? Have you ever seen the Cedar Chest bull up at Rally? I was curious of your critique on him.

To be honest Heath I haven't actually seen the bull himself, but have seen a few of his progeny, in general I liked them, a little smaller framed than the black cedar's but a nice type and very correct in feet and legs, as you'd expect. Seeing Lloyd's name was a blast from the past and certainly not a critique of you raising the thread, good to reflect on the contribution of those passed once in a while!