Angus Beef? At least it look like Angus.

Help Support CattleToday:

Could be the difference between 'select', 'choice', 'high choice', 'prime', etc.

I've raised some steers @ 1/2 Angus that marbled better than that.

I am NOT trying to start a fight, just adding my 2 cents to the thread. :)

Don't thing TG is wanting to argue either. Just pointing out the difference in this one example which is quite obvious. Much more marbling.

I was just checking beef prices in NY compared to Georgia. Both cuts of beef were advertised as Angus...supposedly. The one with the most marble was CAB, not exactly sure how all that works out? Marketing I assume. The Canadian border was about 2 rock throws away, and all the beef was a product of the USA. The price of beef was the only food product that was priced about the same as Georgia, everything else was higher.

I think what TG is trying to explain is that CAB has a marbling requirement (upper 2/3 Choice) while other brands using the word Angus may or may not. I tell friends down here to look for either CAB or an actual USDA label verifying prime or choice. Be Careful meat companies are getting smart enough to put the word Choice in the product name. Example Angus Choice Meats. That doesn't mean that it graded choice it is just a word the company put on the label.

jscunn":3elmetvn said:
I think what TG is trying to explain is that CAB has a marbling requirement (upper 2/3 Choice) while other brands using the word Angus may or may not. I tell friends down here to look for either CAB or an actual USDA label verifying prime or choice. Be Careful meat companies are getting smart enough to put the word Choice in the product name. Example Angus Choice Meats. That doesn't mean that it graded choice it is just a word the company put on the label.
Pretty much sums it up.

I haven't had a steak like that in 15 yrs...all mine are paper wrapped home grown...and look more marbled than that just on grass

I do go by the butchers station at the market but jus to look at how diff what im getting for my steers is vs what they sll them for

dieselbeef":1ahon4bh said:

This is a B2(A5 being the best and C1 the worst) grade Holstein x Wagyu cut.

9.-Japanese-holstein-dairy-beef-B2-grade--768x1024.jpg

same cut different angle
1.-Japanese-holstein-dairy-beef-B2-grade.jpg

I have checked and 80% of Grain fed(in Australia for the Japanese and Korean beef market) Simmental/Shorthorn steers grade B2, I wonder what grade would that be in the USADA grading system... :cboy:

thers more fat than meat in that...bet its pricey. never graded mine cuz I use a non usda butcher since its just for me....ive had way more fat on my grass finished beef but not as much marbeling...I think those pics are over the top as far as fat marbeling

dieselbeef":385xhi8b said:
thers more fat than meat in that...bet its pricey. never graded mine cuz I use a non usda butcher since its just for me....ive had way more fat on my grass finished beef but not as much marbeling...I think those pics are over the top as far as fat marbeling

And that is just lower tier B2, Japanese dont pay premium for it as much as A5

This is what a low A5 look(this cut has marbling 8 but the top of the chart is 12 for marbling, seems like USDA prime is about 4 to 5 on the marbling scale in Japan)

with grading lady
http://i.cubeupload.com/bj4GqL.jpg

with a marbling score 9 picture(the actual cut looks lower marbled than the picture)
qWlXgp.jpg

with meat color chart
PuuYHk.jpg

with fat color chart
kJojfF.jpg

Latest posts